Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
RE: Can you identify this location?

Spot on Marin.* It was our first trip up there and we had great weather and a wonderful time.

Keith Olive

Willard 30

La Conner
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

I'm not famliar with the photo areas you guys are posting but this photo really stirs my blood.
Attached Thumbnails
trawlering b>c>.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Can you identify this location?

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
I'm not famliar with the photo areas you guys are posting but this photo really stirs my blood.
*Walt--- The first glimpse one gets of the Desolation Sound area is pretty dramatic isn't it?* It's made more so by the fact that if you go up to Desolation Sound by hugging the east side of Georgia Strait, the so-called Sunshine Coast, the view you have most of the way up is somewhat blah.* Low, tree-covered hills coming down to the water.* For part of the journey you are between the mainland and Texada Island, which is long and seems endless as you creep along at 8 knots.

As you go north the shore to your right* becomes the Malaspina Peninsula.* On the other side of it out of sight is Malaspina Inlet, but the shoreline you are following remains unchanged.* Then you get to the top of the Penninsula and as you pass it, this is what you see.* If you're in close to shore as we usually are, it's like a curtain opening to reveal Desolation Sound.*

It was named, by the way, by Capt. Vancouver who, if you believe some of the accounts about him, was a rather weird guy.* He suffered from major mood swings from positive to negative and at times could be downright depressing.* If this is true, my guess is he named the Sound during one of these times.*

Even today, one is struck by the apparent lack of "life" in this area.* We have always gone in September so perhaps that makes a difference, but we have seen very little wildlife compared to farther south in the Gulf Islands.* We have seen only one eagle up there for example.* Of course in September the eagles are starting to congregate on the rivers for the salmon so that may be a factor.* Ravens are plentiful enough-- -you hear them everywhere if not see them.* But they can sound really spooky if they want to. We've seen a deer at Prideaux Haven. And there is certainly plenty of life in the water.

The scenery is spectacular (although it gets even better as you go north toward Eric's neck of the woods).* But if you take away all the boaters and imagine the place as Vancouver saw it, when his "Discovery" and the little "Chatham" were the only two vessels there in this vast, silent basin with its jagged, rocky shoreines, I can see where the area could appear foreboading and desolate in terms of life.* Particularly if it was raining, which it probably was.

These photos were all taken in the same immediate area as Keith's, which I've included here, too.* Note the similarity to the second photo, which was taken from more or less the same place but right in next to Sarah Point.* If you've not had the opportunity to visit this area, it's well worth it.* There are lots of places to charter boats if you don't have your own up here.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 7th of October 2011 01:54:36 PM
Attached Thumbnails
la perouse 10.jpg   prideaux view.jpg   toward refuge cove.jpg   denman peak 1.jpg   sarah point.jpg  

trawlering b>c>.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:*If you've not had the opportunity to visit this area, it's well worth it.* There are lots of places to charter boats if you don't have your own up here.
******* My only experience in the B.C. area was on a 57' Nordhavn, about 7 years ago. My wife and I flew into Campbell River, took a water taxi to April Point where we met the boat. (Quadra Island?)

We cruised south for a short while, then turned east. (I have no idea what the names of these places are as I was busy holding up my lower jaw.) We anchored in a secluded cove where the entrance was slightly wider than the beam of the Nordhavn. The next morning we boarded the Grady White that we were towing* and went for a short spin. Dick pulled in to a marina of sorts and we bought some staples and topped off the Grady with gas.

That day we cruised on to Dent Island and Jim & Sally Nordstrom's lodge, where we tied up and spent the night. The going was really tough as we were met at the dock, approved for tying up and ask to fill out our dinner menue choices which included Pheasant Under Glass, Salmon/ Halibut and Filet Mignon. After showering, we all met on the lodge's deck for a cocktail and watched the guides running up a rapid and into the next bay, which they could only do during a tide change.

Answering the dinner bell, we proceeded to the dining room where open seating allowed us to all sit together and with whomever we chose. When the entrees came, they placed them ever so carefully in front of each of us and everyone got exactly what they had ordered when we were on the boat! I have asked, but never got an answer as to how they did that.

That was and is my only encounter with* the "ruggedness and wilderness" of B.C. I have spent quite a lot of time, however, in S.E. Alaska which is my favorite spot on the planet.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 8th of October 2011 08:43:10 AM
Attached Thumbnails
walt.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:

These photos

-- Edited by dwhatty on Friday 7th of October 2011 03:43:52 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Well I thought anybody that had been north would get all three. There so easy you're going to deflate when I tell you what they are. 1st is Big Bay at Yuculta Rapids. 2nd is Butedale like Marin says. I was there in 74 when the pelton wheel was still working and you could take 3 hr hot showers anytime. The third is Prince Rupert. PR Public floats. Lots of action there in the summer. So much so I've never tied to the floats. Always had to raft. These two new photos are off the beaten path and both in Alaska.*
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 503.jpg   all to 12-15-09 530.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
We cruised south for a short while, then turned east. (I have no idea what the names of these places are as I was busy holding up my lower jaw.) We anchored in a secluded cove where the entrance was slightly wider than the beam of the Nordhavn. The next morning we boarded the Grady White that we were towing* and went for a short spin. Dicked pulled in to a marina of sorts and we bought some staples and topped off the Grady with gas.
*You will have gone through part of Desolation Sound on this run.* I suspect that the marina of sorts you visited*with the*store and fuel*was Refuge Cove.

I've not been to the Dent Island resort, although Kenmore flies in there, or used to if it's no longer operating as a lodge.* I have been into Big Bay Resort across the way several times back when it was in full operation.* It's closed as a resort now and has reverted to a private operation.* Big Bay was a major customer of Kenmore's for years.* Somewhere I have some photos I took on the way into a landing at Big Bay of the Yuculta Rapids in full flow.* With little fishing guide boats around the perimeter.* Very impressive sight.

Attached Thumbnails
04-refuge store.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
The third is Prince Rupert. PR Public floats.
Eric--- *Prince Rupert.* Wow, I never would have guessed.* The channel and hills on the other side look exactly like Petersburg.* I've been into Prince Rupert, too, with the Beaver about a zillion times.* But the seaplane docks are around the corner in Seal Cove.* In the attached photo (off the web) the main channel and harbor is around the point on the left.

I guess your first photo was familiar to me as a result of flying into Big Bay so many times.* But that was back in the 80s and 90s so I was thinking in terms of where we've been in the boat since then.

Your two new photos are total mysteries to me as the only places we've gone in SE Alaska have been in the plane.* So Ketchikan, Petersburg, Wrangel, Sitka, and Juneau as well as some of the lakes over on the mainland side up in the Coast Range and in Misty Fjords.* But wherever those two photos are, they look like great places to explore.

As long as we're playing "Stump the boaters," here are three more (after the Seal Cove picture).* I didn't take the first one, but it's closer to home than the other photos we've been posting.** I did take the second one, and while it's*not from a boat it should be familiar to people familiar with SE Alaska.* And I did not take the third one, but it, too, is closer to home.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 7th of October 2011 10:14:12 PM
Attached Thumbnails
p1050566.jpg   number 1.jpg   seal cove.jpg   number 2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Marin wroteI suspect that the marina of sorts you visited*with the*store and fuel*was Refuge Cove.
******* If Refuge Cove has a dock and fuel, that sure looks like the place.

While we were at Dent Island, a* float plane landed but as I recall it was not directly at the lodge but at a bay beyond the tree line. The rapids I was referring to were very close to the lodge. It may seem unusual that I didn't get the names of all these places but one had to be there to understand my situation. The owner of the boat was a good friend of mine with more money than boat knowledge or brains. On the way to Dent we had a hell uv a tide behind us and logs, tree stumps, etc. were coming very close to us and actually hit the Grady White.

The next day we headed back to April Point and went south in the Seymore Narrows. Dick did have the good sense to anchor at the north end of the Narrows and wait for a slack tide. The trip down the Narrows was a little hair raising, however, as I noticed the GPS was indicating 18 knots, in a boat that cruises at 8.5 knots. Several times the boat swung 90 degrees to the desired heading and I felt like we were on a raft, completely out of control. Just north of Campbell River the water settled quite a bit but it seems there were always small whirl pools.

Another thing that happened was that an ER check the first night showed that the transmission dip stick came loose and the drip pan below the Lugger was full of oil. Using a couple rolls of paper towels, I managed to clean it all up and ask Dick for the oil to replace what we had lost. He brought me a case of ATF and I just stared at him. I pulled out his manual on the Twin Disk transmission which indicated that regular engine oil should be used. He had a hard time accepting that but that is what we filled the transmission with. It held up for the rest of the summer and all the way to Seattle.

So, to conclude, the entire trip was filled with events such as this and the last thing I was thinking about before turning in was "where I had been during those days and what their names were."* :wtf:
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
******* If Refuge Cove has a dock and fuel, that sure looks like the place.
*Yes, it does.* Actually it has three docks arranged in a big U-shape. The fuel is at the end of one of the legs of the U.* There are also several other homes and outbuildings perched on the rocks around the cove as well as on floats next to the docks.

Sounds like you had a rather harrowing voyage.* Most people wait for slack tide to run the Yuculta, Dent, and Arran rapids.* There are annually published tide and current books that tell you when the*slack and maximum ebb and flood current times are for all the main rapids.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #31
Guru

Thanks Seahorse,

I thought it was a good shot of our boat heading into Desolation Sound too.* A friend took this from the GB 36.

Keith Olive

Willard 30

La Conner
Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #32
Guru

Second pic is Active Pass. Third is Tracy Arm south of Juneau. The last looks like San Juan or Gulf Island territory but I don't recognize it at all.

Walt, * Sounds like you had a great time beating the odds on your trip. I've never been the Johnston Strait route except by ferry. But I've run Yaculta in a 10 knot boat (max) with about 8.5 to 9 knots current. Took 45 minutes and 15% of the time the GPS said 0 speed fwd. Tidal currents generally are not a problem in the back channels. Ya go slow and ya go fast but that Yaculta experience was the only time I've been almost stopped. Just my experience and where I was and when I was there. Big Bay was the only place I can remember actually waiting for slack water. Planned not to be at Deception Pass at max current many times and spent the night at Bowman Bay to avoid max current. Keeping a straight course in whirlpools most of the time is watching the water over the bow moving sideways and going hard over w the helm and full throttle (especially if you have small rudders) at just the right time, usually a bit later than I expect.*

I'll wait till later today to post the picture locations ..weather permitting *...forecast is bad. Lots of guys know where these are. Those that have cruised SE will know these places like Tom White and Old Salt.
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-odd"><td class="row1 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eff2f9;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1106px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1102px;" colspan="2"><table style="font-size:12px;width:100%;" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;" colspan="2">
Marin this picture is absolutely stunning.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 8th of October 2011 11:12:19 AM
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #33
Guru

Well it looks like the interest in pictures went dead.*

My mystery pics are:

1. * Kake Alaska. West of Petersburg and north of Rocky Pass.

2. * Point Baker Alaska. On the NW corner of Prince of Wales Island.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #34

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever

Eric, I'm still interested in the pictures. I just can't identify places I haven't been. I will say that these pictures make we want to toss off the lines and head North!
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

Hi Eric

Here are some more.........
Attached Thumbnails
dodds from south.jpg   dodds from north.jpg   prideaux at night.jpg   squirrel.jpg   von dunop.jpg  

chrome.jpg  
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #36
Guru

The first one looks like Dodd Narrows, the 4th looks like Squirrel Cove.

Keith Olive
Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

I'll play too - #3 looks like the end of Van Donop Inlet and #5 looks like Chrome Island light.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #38
Scraping Paint

I think the first two are Dodd Narrows, first from the south, then from the north, the fourth one is definitely Squirrel Cove and the last one is definitely Chrome Island.

Below is a shot I took of Chrome the other year.* Anybody know where the next five are from?

Attached Thumbnails
chrome island 1.jpg   floathouse 2.jpg   minesweeper 1.jpg   government dock.jpg   n3c.jpg  

dock.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

No idea, but I love the looks of the float plane.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Guess whered (somewhere in Alaska).

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote