Best fuel prices in SF Bay area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Just curious if anyone has good suggestions on where to go to get diesel at a low price in the San Francisco Bay area.

Thanks!
Mike

Mostly it's an inverse function of the distance from San Francisco. When purchasing fuel, I'm concerned on how quickly the fuel inventory turns over: fresh fuel is important. I usually purchase fuel at Pittsburg, one-days' (8 hours) round trip for me. Fuel prices frequently change. You'll probably need to call the various marinas to get their current prices.

Many years since I've been to Frisco, but commercial docks (where fishing boats, tugs, fuel) usually had cheaper fuel and better quality fuel than most marinas catering to yachts. Commercial fuel docks have high fuel turnover, long term employees, regularly inspect or change filtering systems and don't have bugs growing in their tank bottoms.
Brookings, Oregon - no sales tax or Mexico.

Just a data point: I bought diesel at Coyote Point Marina a few weeks ago for $4.00/gallon. Next time I'll shop around for a better price.

Historically, Gashouse Cove Marina (City Yachts) near Fort Mason had the cheapest prices. Their current price for diesel is $3.99 per gallon. I berth in Vallejo and turn east out of Mare Island Strait into the Delta as often as I head west to the Bay. Therefore, like Mark, I make it a point to fill up in Pittsburg. Pittsburg's current price is $3.09 per gallon (cash) and $3.19 (credit).

Of course, you'll pay a premium in fuel to get from SF to the Delta. However, now is a perfect time of year to make the trip! Not too hot and not too cold...just right!

Jack London Square historically is the most expensive place around.. right now, +$4/gallon...
Pittsburg is an excellent place for refueling and food (Meca restaurant). I love that marina and always stop on my way to the delta...

Just cause I'm feeling contrary...diesel is $2.50 in Bellingham.

Holy mackerel, Bob! But it'll cost me nearly $1,800 to get there. However, only about $1,100 to get home! Great price, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Many years since I've been to Frisco,

AAAAAGGGGHHHH!!:banghead:

'prof (Tamalpais HS, '61)

I agree; having lived in Marin for decades, West Marin for the last two! Haven't heard SF termed that for many years. During mid 20th Century... in New England, that word was often used... even back then, I never did like it. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Where are you? I worked for the MCFD in Pt Reyes Station many years ago.

San Geronimo - 6 miles past Fairfax, over Whites Hill. We call it West Marin "lite"! - LOL Really nice tiny town... 300 +/- P.O. Boxes. Post Office w/ no road delivery. And, a really cool/funky "destination" restaurant... "The Two Bird". Oh ya, and the San Geronimo Golf Course with big club house for events. Travel time to center SF is about 40 minutes from our house. Keep our Tolly in Stockton... SF Delta fresh water [usually warm] and with covered berth [always dry and no sun damaged boat]. Only problem is 100 miles to the boat = not often enough visits for time away from dock. We used to dock in San Rafael; more boat use, but, no cover, too cold to swim much, saltwater damage. Boat loves Stockton circumstances... so do we! :D :D

Point Reyes is great! Grande Building still standing. A bit of earthquake stabilization completed. Some years ago... I bid to reface/restore/repoint entire brick building outside/inside. So far it still languishes in county red tape as well as localized/area septic system difficulties.

Where you now, Alaska? How long ago you leave?

Art ;)

Where you now, Alaska? How long ago you leave?

Art ;)

Left Marin in '62 for the Army; lived many places since, but between old HS chums and the Giants, we're drawn back regularly. Stayed in Tiburon and Olema a few nights last summer.

We're in Ashland, OR, now after 20 years in Anchorage and Seldovia.

Just for another data point 4 miles east of Pittsburg is Antioch Marina. Not exactly SF Bay, but as mentioned, it's a nice boat ride.

They have a new automated refueling credit card kiosk with current fuel prices listed on their website. Today's diesel price is $2.849

Current Weather & Fuel Prices – Antioch Marina

Of course, you'll pay a premium in fuel to get from SF to the Delta. However, now is a perfect time of year to make the trip! Not too hot and not too cold...just right!

A good reason to take a short cruise!

Resurrecting an old thread... Anyone shopped around lately? I used to find the best price at Maxum near Pier 45 but they are now shut down.

I'll need about 800 gallons to top off before we head north to BC.

Thanks!

I have found Pittsburg and Rio Vista Delta Marina to be competitive on the lower priced diesel but the trip inland to the California Delta may be farther than you wish to travel for fuel. I usually call around to the area marinas to find the best price.

Please let us know what you find.

Gas House Marine in SF - $7.42/gal for diesel. Hope that's not the best you find.

When we bought ASD Pittsburgh was the best price. I thought it was expensive at $2.35......

The best price I found (without heading up toward the Delta) was $6.89 in Emeryville, but that includes a $0.40 discount for members. Everyone else was north of $7. Brutal.

Makes a single engine trawler nice to have!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom