BC Parks & Marine Parks to Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I will just do a copy and paste:

BC Parks: Re-Opening May 14

BC Parks staff and park operators are looking forward to welcoming you back into our provincial parks, protected areas and marine parks soon!

Most provincial parks will open for day use only on May 14 and most campgrounds and backcountry camping will open on June 1. The Discover Camping reservation system will be back online on May 25 at 7 a.m. PT to accept camping reservations.

We’ll do everything we can to ensure parks are safe, but visitors are reminded they are responsible for their own safety and to practice physical distancing by giving extra space when passing people on trails and in parking lots and practicing appropriate hygiene. In keeping with public health guidelines around non-essential travel, people are urged to only visit a park close to their home and avoid travelling to small communities. Some parks will remain closed at this time.

We are all in this together, and we are counting on everyone to do their part so our parks can stay open!

For a list of parks with day-use opportunities that will re-open on May 14, visit BC Parks - Province of British Columbia
For additional information, refer to: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PREM0026-000826

Most provincial parks will open for day use only on May 14

Just for laughs, open Marine Traffic or any AIS app and see how many boaters are jammed into the marine parks and anchorages between the border and Desolation Sound. Remember, for every one that shows, there are ten that don't.

They're not going home at night either.:angel:

The border? Well, John Horgan spoke during a digital "town hall," Friday afternoon. Horgan didn't give specifics, but said it will probably be a while before the border reopens.

He said he's been talking to the governor of Washington State, but he wants to make sure the gains made in B.C. aren't compromised by U.S. visitors.

"International travel is not something that's going to be coming back anytime soon," Horgan said.

Around June 15th. After that it isn't worth the time or money to just go to the San Juan.
Tom, when is your drop-dead date for leaving the river? Not that I'm hoping you drop dead!:facepalm:

Opening the border is a federal move, not one BC can make.
When all this began, BC's Premier lobbied Ottawa forcefully to close the border and was very outspoken on the delay to do so.

Data has shown, more cases came to Canada from the US than China and that is largely attributed to the late closing of our common border. We won't make that mistake in reverse.

If this holds, then all recreational cruising and fishing from the L48 is dead for 2020.
Opening the border is a federal move, not one BC can make.
When all this began, BC's Premier lobbied Ottawa forcefully to close the border and was very outspoken on the delay to do so.

Data has shown, more cases came to Canada from the US than China and that is largely attributed to the late closing of our common border. We won't make that mistake in reverse.

If this holds, then all recreational cruising and fishing from the L48 is dead for 2020.

I think this assumption is safe and should the border re-open before the summer is over, and I just can't see that, doesn't make any sense, then it will be a pleasant surprise. Heck their are BC'rs who have been lobbying to close the Alberta/BC border.

The Victoria Classic Boat Show hasn't been cancelled yet but I expect to hear the cancellation of this show, traditionally on the Labour Day weekend. If you have been, you know the wharf is packed with people.

More salmon getting to spawn will be a rare positive out of this crazy time.

From BC Parks last week
"BC Parks staff and park operators are looking forward to welcoming you back into our provincial parks, protected areas and marine parks soon!"

Today's check of those marine parks close to me:

Montague: May 14 open for day use
Beaumont: May 14 open for day use
Wallace: Closed
Pirate's Cove: Closed
Drumbeg (Gabriola): open May 14 for day use

As I look out from my home, on Conover Cove, Wallace Island: This weekend has been as busy as any other Mother's Day weekend that I have been here. Princess, also Wallaace Island, where all I can see is the overflow anchorage, has had up to 6 boats anchored, plus all those inside, where conditions convinced those 6 it was too crowded to go inside. I don't recall ever seeing more boats in the overflow anchorage.

Busiest day on the water around here since the closure of salmon on April 1st. Mostly local boats but saw a few bigger boats transiting northwards.

Beautiful warm day with no wind and a low afternoon tide exposing all of the great beaches. Perfect day for boating.

More salmon getting to spawn will be a rare positive out of this crazy time.

Well Murray, we were going to spend some time in Northern BC and wanted to make the circle up to your neck of the woods. Maybe next year. Al told me to take AA with me....:angel::D

Busiest day on the water around here since the closure of salmon on April 1st. Mostly local boats but saw a few bigger boats transiting northwards.

Beautiful warm day with no wind and a low afternoon tide exposing all of the great beaches. Perfect day for boating.

From BC Parks last week
"BC Parks staff and park operators are looking forward to welcoming you back into our provincial parks, protected areas and marine parks soon!"

Today's check of those marine parks close to me:

Montague: May 14 open for day use
Beaumont: May 14 open for day use
Wallace: Closed
Pirate's Cove: Closed
Drumbeg (Gabriola): open May 14 for day use

As I look out from my home, on Conover Cove, Wallace Island: This weekend has been as busy as any other Mother's Day weekend that I have been here. Princess, also Wallaace Island, where all I can see is the overflow anchorage, has had up to 6 boats anchored, plus all those inside, where conditions convinced those 6 it was too crowded to go inside. I don't recall ever seeing more boats in the overflow anchorage.

Now if they would allow the Yanks to cross the border.....:eek::nonono:

To help limit the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada suspends camping, group activities, and events across the country until at least May 31, 2020.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-travel/securite-safety/covid-19-info

To further reduce noise and physical disturbance in portions of Southern Resident killer whale foraging areas, Interim Sanctuary Zones will be in effect from June 1 to November 30, 2020, to prohibit vessel traffic in a portion of Swiftsure Bank and off North Pender and Saturna Islands as per the Interim Order enacted under the Canada Shipping Act.
Management measures to protect Southern Resident killer whales | Pacific Region | Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Now if they would allow the Yanks to cross the border.....:eek::nonono:

I don’t know all the concerns about going around the outside of Vancouver Is but if your summer plans hinge on going north, is that an option? I realize it is farther and you are exposed to the open Pacific. How far out do you need to go to be out of Canadian jurisdiction for customs? And then you have nowhere to hide. Haven’t heard anyone talking about going to Ak by this route. Is it just too risky?

I don’t know all the concerns about going around the outside of Vancouver Is but if your summer plans hinge on going north, is that an option? I realize it is farther and you are exposed to the open Pacific. How far out do you need to go to be out of Canadian jurisdiction for customs? And then you have nowhere to hide. Haven’t heard anyone talking about going to Ak by this route. Is it just too risky?

My read of the Canada Oceans Act says 12 miles.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/O-2.4/page-1.html#h-382995

It's about 600 nm from Neah Bay to Ketchikan. Open ocean all the way. Just like coming up the west coast of the US you'll be bashing into the weather all the way.

My read of the Canada Oceans Act says 12 miles.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/O-2.4/page-1.html#h-382995

It's about 600 nm from Neah Bay to Ketchikan. Open ocean all the way. Just like coming up the west coast of the US you'll be bashing into the weather all the way.

Definitely a trip many on here couldn't reasonably make. It would be several days of 24/7 running (a bit over 4 days if you average 6 kts over ground). And with weather concerns with nowhere to run/hide. And you'd need the fuel range to run 600nm non-stop against the weather with plenty of reserve.

Definitely a trip many on here couldn't reasonably make. It would be several days of 24/7 running (a bit over 4 days if you average 6 kts over ground). And with weather concerns with nowhere to run/hide. And you'd need the fuel range to run 600nm non-stop against the weather with plenty of reserve.

Yep, what he said....:iagree::iagree:

+2. That's a trip I'd never make either. :eek:

Thanks for the input guys. I knew it is pretty tough so that’s why you don’t hear about many doing it. What size and style of boat would make the outside trip a possibility? No I am not planning that trip!! With some parks and services opening here in BC I can go up the inside. Just curious as I hear about people circumnavigating Vancouver Island and such.

Thanks for the input guys. I knew it is pretty tough so that’s why you don’t hear about many doing it. What size and style of boat would make the outside trip a possibility? No I am not planning that trip!! With some parks and services opening here in BC I can go up the inside. Just curious as I hear about people circumnavigating Vancouver Island and such.

I have done the non-stop trip up the outside in a commercial fishing boat. Our Krogen would be able to do it without a problem.
Pretty much all the commercial guys that keep their boats down south will need to do that run this year, unless BC opens things up soon. They would normally come up the inside, but many of them do it non-stop either way.

Is Alaska allowing non-Alaskan into their marinas, I thought there was a general "don't come" type of message.

BC Preventing travel across international borders

BC through the use of the Public Health Act could enforce a quarantine. But considering both the premiers of Ontario and Quebec have both been vocal on maintaining a closed federal border I don't think the border is going to open any time soon.

Is Alaska allowing non-Alaskan into their marinas, I thought there was a general "don't come" type of message.

It’s like the pirate code, they’re more guidelines than rules, and compliance and enforcement are about what you would expect for Alaska. Native communities are pretty much locked down, Sitka and other towns not so much. I know there are folks on here from Ketchikan, Wrangell, and Gustavus, maybe others as well, that could speak to the specifics in their town.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom