Old 11-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
4mo
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nor'Wester
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Armchair Weather Routing

Hi guys,

I have a new to me Navigator 53 that is on its way from Newport Beach to Seattle.

It left on Saturday afternoon and is currently holed up in Bodega Bay waiting on the weather. It has been cruising between 9 and 12 knots depending on weather and waves, holds 750 gallons of fuel, and makes about a gallon a mile at 9knots.

It's been interesting watching and trying to guess what WRI and the captain will decide on. There was a pretty good break that I thought would be one big push all the way to Seattle, but its gotten a bit more expensive interesting with the update forecasts this morning.

I've mostly been using Windy. Any predictions?
4mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The current northern CA marine weather is predicted gale force winds and large seas. Expect a long layover from what I just read. You may luck out with two good weather windows, minimally what will be needed to get to Seattle this time of the year from SF area. Generally this a rotten time of the year to traverse the Pacific Coast.

The issue is not only near shore but what is happening far offshore and in the Gulf of AK, creating very large seas. Windy should be OK, also try Predict Wind's site.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mo View Post
Hi guys,

I have a new to me Navigator 53 that is on its way from Newport Beach to Seattle.

It left on Saturday afternoon and is currently holed up in Bodega Bay waiting on the weather. It has been cruising between 9 and 12 knots depending on weather and waves, holds 750 gallons of fuel, and makes about a gallon a mile at 9knots.

It's been interesting watching and trying to guess what WRI and the captain will decide on. There was a pretty good break that I thought would be one big push all the way to Seattle, but its gotten a bit more expensive interesting with the update forecasts this morning.

I've mostly been using Windy. Any predictions?
I believe Trevor (your skipper) is using a number of wind apps to get the best possible average for weather windows. This time of year, it is certainly a hit and miss weather wise...

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
4mo
Veteran Member

Not sure who Travis is, but my Captain, Charlie, is using Weather Routing Inc (WRI) as well as a variety of other sources, one of which is not me. I'm just having fun following along and looking for windows.

My guess is he takes off from Bodega Bay Thursday morning and makes it to Newport. The leave Newport Sunday night, round Cape Flatter Tuesday early morning and make it to Seattle by Tuesday night.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Good luck to your new boat and congratulations. I've been out there heading north in Feb and the waves were quite intimidating.
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
4mo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4sun View Post
Good luck to your new boat and congratulations. I've been out there heading north in Feb and the waves were quite intimidating.
Thanks!

I was intimidated enough to stay home and hire a professional!
Old 11-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I was intimidated enough to stay home and hire a professional!

Hiring a professional I get, but staying home?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
4mo
Veteran Member

I considered going for the adventure and imagine there are a few great moments scattered among what is turning out to be 2-3 weeks of monotony but I prefer to use vacation days with my wife and two girls (3 and 7) rather than a captain I've met once and his crew.

They left Bodega Bay this morning at 7am heading toward Crescent City where they will hole up again currently projected to wait out weather systems until after the 30th.