Anchoring in Nanaimo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Depending on wind, weather, and tide, I'd like to be able to spend Saturday night anchoring around Nanaimo. It is my understanding that anchoring is prohibited in Mark Bay. Does anyone know exactly where anchoring is allowing around Nanaimo now. I don't really want to run afoul of the local authorities.

As I recall its marked on the chart. If worst comes to worse you could grab a buoy at Newcastle for about $20

Depending on wind, weather, and tide, I'd like to be able to spend Saturday night anchoring around Nanaimo. It is my understanding that anchoring is prohibited in Mark Bay. Does anyone know exactly where anchoring is allowing around Nanaimo now. I don't really want to run afoul of the local authorities.

Just anchor off Newcastle island. Right in front of the Dinghy Dock pub is usually where we drop the hook.

Depending on wind, weather, and tide, I'd like to be able to spend Saturday night anchoring around Nanaimo. It is my understanding that anchoring is prohibited in Mark Bay.... I don't really want to run afoul of the local authoritiers.

Not an issue. Mark Bay is just that little bight behind the park bouy field. Theres lots of room outside the bouys short of the channel...including over toward the pub.

Bouys are 14 pesos / night.

Bill in Ganges tonight

Last edited:
Thanks guys. You are all such a huge wealth of knowledge!

I wasnt able to identify the moorage area that prohibits anchoring on the current Navionics chart.

Since I just came down to the boat to stock some food I pulled out the paper chart and it is easy to see the limits of the park. I do like paper.

Mark Bay is off anchoring limits because, I recall, it has eel grass growing on the bottom.

I've seen boats anchoring, with care, within the mooring ball field and as pointed out more toward the pub.

Dave. If you belong to a Yacht Club, Nanaimo Yacht Club, will give you reciprocal space if available. Not too many buoys at Newcastle will take 42 foot boats. If you take dock space at Newcastle, watch out for raccoons!

Dave. If you belong to a Yacht Club, Nanaimo Yacht Club, will give you reciprocal space if available. Not too many buoys at Newcastle will take 42 foot boats. If you take dock space at Newcastle, watch out for raccoons!

We stayed there at the Nanaimo YC last year on our way back South. They were very helpful and friendly.

This time, we will likely go North through Dodd Narrows at the 5:00pm slack. This means that we will be getting into Nanaimo in the early evening and I think the easiest will to be to find a place to drop the hook. Maybe in time to grab dinner at the Dinghy Dock Pub?

We anchored there a couple of weeks ago - lots of room, even though it was pretty crowded. Saw some people anchoring right in the middle of the mooring field. Luckily it was a calm night, 'cause I think the swings would be different on anchor vs mooring ball unless you anchor with a very short scope. Excellent holding, BTW.

Some big boats were anchored there , 60-70ft.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom