87-year-old Boat Heads to UK (the slow way)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the time in the world can equal all the world in due time. Good On You - Both!

Congrats - Art

What engine was that in the drawings!!!???

I figure by the time you get to Mexico and then Costa Rica you'll know whether the boat can handle it. Ensenada and Golfito are your two major shipping ports and opportunity to put it on a boat.

What engine was that in the drawings!!!???

Ski, they were a pair of White Superior 100hp. I gather the engine started life as an oilfield nodding-donkey power unit, before being marinised. They were still running, though not well, until 2013.

:) That'd be nice, we live in Woodbridge. Maybe Waldringfield, anchored off. I think a few years in the Med first, and the Baltic is accessible from Suffolk.

"We are tourists in the great country, so we'll be spending a week or so in San Francisco, and some family will join us there for that. I'm intrigued by the Delta, and Sacramento, so if anyone has some input on that, to encourage or dissuade us from spending time there, then I'm all ears. "

Here's something to get you started.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/ca-bay-delta-cruising-guide-6139.html

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. The Delta is a year-round water wonderland for adventures and escapes from the masses. Lots of fresh water this year.

I was told that the water levels are 2 feet higher than recent years due to our last rain season.

I'll be taking week-long trips into the Delta several more times this summer. If your dates line up and you'd like to join up to follow us in, let me know.

"We are tourists in the great country, so we'll be spending a week or so in San Francisco, and some family will join us there for that. I'm intrigued by the Delta, and Sacramento, so if anyone has some input on that, to encourage or dissuade us from spending time there, then I'm all ears. "

Here's something to get you started.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s28/ca-bay-delta-cruising-guide-6139.html

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. The Delta is a year-round water wonderland for adventures and escapes from the masses. Lots of fresh water this year.

I was told that the water levels are 2 feet higher than recent years due to our last rain season.

I'll be taking week-long trips into the Delta several more times this summer. If your dates line up and you'd like to join up to follow us in, let me know.

Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to keep in touch, and contact you when we get down there.

Ski, they were a pair of White Superior 100hp. I gather the engine started life as an oilfield nodding-donkey power unit, before being marinised. They were still running, though not well, until 2013.

Would you have any picture of these engines? Would be interesting to see them :)

L.

More shots - old engines, and some recent boat shots

Here are some shots of the old White Superiors, taken out in 2013.
She had a dry stack from new - it was ridiculously hot in there. Check out the coolant expansion tanks, easily 5 gallons. The decompress lever had to be engaged to start her, and the PO had used ethyl alcohol to start them for years, so I continued.

Joes "Famous" Reduction Gears were fitted, I think the ratio was 2.5:1 or so. This all worked fine - it was simply the corrosion which got her in the end.

Eamonn

Attachments

• IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 114
....and here are a few shots of her as she is today.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 106
Absolutely beautiful!!

MV Content, what a glorious vessel.
The bow instantly reminds me of the vintage ro ro steamship plying between Victoria on Vancouver Isl. and (I think) Seattle. Wish I could recall, or find, the name.Someone will.

Progress update

Well, we've had a great run down the coast: the weather has been perfect, sea state pretty well flat all the way from Cape Flattery, and it looks as if it will all come to a very pleasant, grinding halt in Eureka this afternoon.

I've been using a blend of BuoyWeather, Windy and the NOAA forecasts. The wave / period ratio has been 1:3 for so long now that we have been able to cover an average of 60 or so miles each day, and we've stopped on a dock every night. But Cape Mendocino is living up to its reputation, and will give us, and the boat, a few well-earned rest days in Eureka. Its a tantalising dilemma: sea state looks fine for Friday morning, but the wave/period ratio goes negative at 4pm, just when we might be arriving. I'll take a fresh look this evening, but the superstitious (and sensible) germ in my brain says stop. Anyway, we've never hugged a Redwood!

The Iveco 150s (Italian truck diesels) have been tremendous. We have had several days ticking along at 6kts @1100rpm, and burning only 15 gallons in a 9-hour day. This morning, I've raised the throttle to 1500rpm, and we're making 7.5kts. We'd like to actually arrive somewhere in time to have a cup of tea and a slice of cake, like civilised folk do.

Highlights so far have undoubtedly been Ilwaco, Florence, and Bandon, the best by far. What a lovely find! We were sorry that the amazing gallery of art, made from plastic reclaimed from the sea, was closed. That looked like a great project, and I heartily recommend a stop there.

Gotta go - just about to squeeze through the channel off Point St George, just passing Crescent City on a slightly overcast morning.

Eamonn

Attachments

• bandon art.jpg
    bandon art.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 120
... halt in Eureka this afternoon.

Cape Mendocino is living up to its reputation, and will give us, and the boat, a few well-earned rest days in Eureka. Anyway, we've never hugged a Redwood!

The Iveco 150s (Italian truck diesels) have been tremendous. We have had several days ticking along at 6kts @1100rpm, and burning only 15 gallons in a 9-hour day. This morning, I've raised the throttle to 1500rpm, and we're making 7.5kts. We'd like to actually arrive somewhere in time to have a cup of tea and a slice of cake, like civilised folk do.

Highlights so far have undoubtedly been Ilwaco, Florence, and Bandon, the best by far. What a lovely find! We were sorry that the amazing gallery of art, made from plastic reclaimed from the sea, was closed. That looked like a great project, and I heartily recommend a stop there.

Eamonn

I'm glad there is "Art" to help save the sea. :thumb: :lol:

My mission is to help save the atmosphere - Art :D

BTW: While living 130 + miles south of there... we have Beach House on Rt. 1 - not too far from where you are; it's in the "Irish Beach" community.

PS: 6 kts. at 15 gal. for 9 hrs. is great! = 3.6 nmpg for that BIG Beautiful boat! Could term it an "econo" ship!!

Thanks Art....
As a Green Party Councillor in the UK, I must admit to having struggled a bit with the amount of diesel we consume.... but a man's got to have some flaws!

MV Content, what a glorious vessel.
The bow instantly reminds me of the vintage ro ro steamship plying between Victoria on Vancouver Isl. and (I think) Seattle. Wish I could recall, or find, the name.Someone will.

Bruce, are you thinking of the Princess Marguerite?

E.

Subscribed to follow your journey...one we hope to make as well!

Bruce, are you thinking of the Princess Marguerite?

E.
I had to do some research, it`s the MV Coho. Not a steamer after all,and younger than I thought.
I enjoyed the articles I found about the Princess Marguerite, ferries can have great histories. If you have time, search the Sydney ferry "South Steyne" now a floating restaurant,formerly a Manly route ferry,delivered to Sydney on its own bottom from the UK.

We've been chilling in Eureka since Thursday. Good opportunity to catch up on some niggling jobs, like the noisy bilge pump. Turned out the ultra switch was mounted too low, and left the pump out of water but still running for a few seconds. I've got a diver coming this morning, to check our zincs, after the electrolysis episode a few weeks back. I'd like to confirm that we are free of the source, which I pretty sure was the marina we wintered in. Fingers crossed.

Some other south-bound travellers waiting up here. Ambiance came bay to say hello yesterday, and we will buddy up for the trip around Mendocino, whenever we get to move. We visited the Eureka National Weather Service station yesterday, and were very warmly received. A great crew there, and they shared some very useful perspective. They essentially confirmed that our modus is a good one: go when the going is great, and stop when in doubt. We will drop in again Tuesday morning for an update: they see a potential gap opening that afternoon, so we'll be ready to go.

Next stop Fort Bragg, with perhaps an overnight in Shelter Cove, once we've done the Cape. Time to start thinking about moorage in San Francisco, preferably on the city side. Any suggestions welcomed!

Eamonn

We've been chilling in Eureka since Thursday. Good opportunity to catch up on some niggling jobs, like the noisy bilge pump. Turned out the ultra switch was mounted too low, and left the pump out of water but still running for a few seconds. I've got a diver coming this morning, to check our zincs, after the electrolysis episode a few weeks back. I'd like to confirm that we are free of the source, which I pretty sure was the marina we wintered in. Fingers crossed.

Some other south-bound travellers waiting up here. Ambiance came bay to say hello yesterday, and we will buddy up for the trip around Mendocino, whenever we get to move. We visited the Eureka National Weather Service station yesterday, and were very warmly received. A great crew there, and they shared some very useful perspective. They essentially confirmed that our modus is a good one: go when the going is great, and stop when in doubt. We will drop in again Tuesday morning for an update: they see a potential gap opening that afternoon, so we'll be ready to go.

Next stop Fort Bragg, with perhaps an overnight in Shelter Cove, once we've done the Cape. Time to start thinking about moorage in San Francisco, preferably on the city side. Any suggestions welcomed!

Eamonn

I recommend Angel Island.

Chart 18649

Thanks Art....
As a Green Party Councillor in the UK, I must admit to having struggled a bit with the amount of diesel we consume.... but a man's got to have some flaws!

If I recall correctly, Eureka was the first US city with a Green Party city council.

If I recall correctly, Eureka was the first US city with a Green Party city council.

Yep, Green-friendly around here - just been to a meetin' with some of them this evening :)

We finally got out of Eureka today, after a leisurely long weekend, waiting for the sea to just calm down. We met some great people there: the crew from Ambiance, also heading
south. We visited the weather station again this morning, and had a very close look at the forecast. There were signs of an abatement, but these things are all relative. We decided to nose out over the bar, and check it out. They forecast said 9ft @ 9secs, and that it would reduce.

Out past the bar, we certainly saw 7-8feet, but it looked manageable. It would be on our transom pretty well, so we headed south. It did reduce, after about three hours, and we have just passed Punta Gorda, and it is positively (relatively) pleasant !

Shelter Cove is waiting, about another 30 miles, and then on to Bragg.

The boat is dealing with this stuff very well. No issues so far, touch wood.

Eamonn, I highly recommend South Beach Harbor if you're looking for a safe and pleasant place near the city. Lots within a wonderful walk on the Embarcadero or anything's just an Uber or Lyft ride away. Check out the Ferry Building and Delancy Street Restaurant, both a walk from the marina. If you want to see SF Giants baseball, the park is right there.

Meg and I went there for a week this summer and had a ball as tourists. I highly recommend the daytime Psychedelic Volkswagen Van "Summer of Love" tour. It's a great overview of the sights and history of city in a fun VW van with 3 others. We also enjoyed lots of good food and interesting folks. I learned lots!

We also really like Schoonmaker Point Marina. It's a nice place to stay with an easy walk to local restaurants, shopping and maritime history of Sausalito. The US Army Corp of Engineers Bay Model is very impressive. So is a dingy ride among the very interesting floating "house boats".

Last edited:
Hello Content. This is Linden from 42 Hershine sedan. MaxSwell. We meet at Tarkenan Marine inJune. We had hit a log and were getup prop fixed. Glad to see u got away South. Have a safe journey! Judy and I Will be following your adventure.

We also really like Schoonmaker Point Marina. It's a nice place to stay with an easy walk to local restaurants, shopping and maritime history of Sausalito. The .

Wifey B: We loved Schoonmaker. We kept our boat there for about a month. Sausalito was very convenient. Much of what you needed there, a short trip across the bridge to all San Francisco has to offer, trips by water to explore the entire Bay, quick access to going outside. It was a perfect location for us. :D

Thank you FlyWright, BandB, MaxSwell. We spent six hours in the fog today, before getting in to Fort Bragg at lunchtime. Sea state was fine, and the radar /AIS / CPT autopilot combination made it a very manageable trip. We had 200 yards visibility almost all the way, enough to see pots, of which there weren't that many.

Not such a quiet day forecast on the water tomorrow, so we'll head off early for Bodega Bay. Friday will be a rest day, then under the Golden Gate on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom