Old 10-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
8 month moorage in downtown Victoria

Just blanked out on the name of the marina but for anyone who has visited Victoria and is a boat owner, you've stared at this marina while on your walking tours.

You can moor at said marina in the off season - Oct - end of May - then you get the boot. Now the chap in this video is living fulltime on his boat so the price is reasonable for him. He was originally over at a marina in Esquimalt fulltime. He is also a member here but has only post a couple of times. I follow him and over time he has repowered his boat, new tanks everywhere, a lot of hull repair and interior wood work. As you can see his boat is far from complete, but he is like a Canadian beaver and works on it constantly.

There might be some one out there on TF who might be able to take advantage of this type of temporary moorage so I thought I'd post it here:

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #2

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I follow him as well. He's quite the character. The amount of work he can do inside his boat is amazing and the work he does looks pretty good. But also he brings a life time of skill sets that uniquely benefit what he is doing. He was in construction for most of his life so his ability to set up a table saw inside the small confines of his lounge and produce quality work may be easy for him but impossible for others.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I missed your reply. One of his videos is him talking about his life. He also designed homes and business buildings and they are quite impressive. I divide the population into two groups.

The first are what I call folks who have led a "cookie cutter" existence. You know, high school, then trades or university, work whatever trade or profession you chose, had a family, retired, then died.

The second group the non-cookie cutters lives are all over the place, first high school, then who knows how many trades/jobs/undertakings over the years, perhaps travelled all over, then retirement often with difference projects, then die.

This guy is definitely in the second category. I find the non-cookie cutters to be much more interesting to talk to as their experiences are so varied. By the way, he is a member here but I think he has posted only a couple of times.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #4

City: Qualicum Beach
We watch him too, he's a character. He has a great Land Rover pickup , Chevy powered
Jeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:23 PM   #5

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep09 View Post
We watch him too, he's a character. He has a great Land Rover pickup , Chevy powered

Land Rover?
You made me look.
Yes, I know Peter. Not through boating or YouTube but Through Land Rovers. Now Iíll go watch some of his YouTube presentations to catch up. I havenít seen him for a couple years.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Boat can stay 8 months, I can only stay just short of six :-D
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote