Old 10-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
67' Boat Sinks in Straights of San Juan De Fuca

2nd UPDATE: Two people rescued by Coast Guard as yacht sinks near Dungeness Spit [**Gallery**] -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS

Anyone have more info?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I saw a brief note in the Seattle paper this morning, did not even have that much detail. Did not mention that it was Jud's boat. I know him and am sorry to hear about this.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Guru

City: NC
Horrible photos showing the boat sinking. At least everyone got off the boat ok.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Appears to be one of the Monk designs built by McQueen's.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
I saw this on the news last night after getting back from Malaysia. As usual, the TV news only reported the basic incident. It was not until reading the link above that I learned it is a wooden boat.

There have been a few wooden fishboats in our marina that have sunk over the years (in their slips) from a plank letting go. That and a failed through-hull, seacock, or hose seem to me to be about the only non-collision things that can cause a boat to fill and sink in very short period of time. I wonder if the folks on the boat even knew what caused the water ingress?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
Appears to be one of the Monk designs built by McQueen's.
That was my thought as well. Too bad.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
The caption read "taking on water" . The picture shows only her cabin top exposed. I think she was officially sunk by this point. On another note, I always love the comments from the uninformed in the online news articles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Fasteners and wooden boats

One of the hull failures that are beginning become more common is fastener failure. All of these wood boats are getting long in the tooth. Fasteners should be replaced every twenty years or so. At least checked. The planking and frames get brittle with age. Dry rot along the chine, keel and gunnel. In my humble opinion when you take an older wooden boat out into open water where the hull will flex and twist your asking for trouble.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
One of the hull failures that are beginning become more common is fastener failure. All of these wood boats are getting long in the tooth. Fasteners should be replaced every twenty years or so. At least checked. The planking and frames get brittle with age. Dry rot along the chine, keel and gunnel. In my humble opinion when you take an older wooden boat out into open water where the hull will flex and twist your asking for trouble.
Is that true of all fastening methods? Would clinch nailed with copper be a concern?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Fasteners are just a piece of a very large puzzle.

Design, materials, method of construction, intend use play a much larger roll than just fasteners

Light builds like a Crispy Craft are different than say a heavy commercial build that ends in a much stiffer boat. As an example.

You can not paint any boat, hull designs, or hull material with the same brush so to speak
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
This very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
Fasteners are just a piece of a very large puzzle.

Design, materials, method of construction, intend use play a much larger roll than just fasteners

Light builds like a Crispy Craft are different than say a heavy commercial build that ends in a much stiffer boat. As an example.

You can not paint any boat, hull designs, or hull material with the same brush so to speak
Some old wooden fish boats that are 70 years old are still working. Have you ever see a wooden work boat in use that wasn't being worked on. Most wooden yachts sit at the dock look good and deteriorate structurally under cover. Seem like there was another large wooden yacht about 5 years ago that sunk just inside the Straights between Neah Bay and Victoria on a delivery from LA to Vancouver, Planks loosened up on it and it took on water and sank.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There was an update that it was being towed to John Wayne Marina by Vessel Assist.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If you are curious about wood boats and things that can go wrong with them....read enough and eventually the USCG and NTSB discuss many aspects of wooden boat construction.

There is a tragic story nameed the "Sinking of the El Toro II". It was a party fishing boat in the Cheasapeake that was a story unto itself with USCG surveys and envestigations...and why it killed people and why it's a landmark event in the USCG reviewing it's policies on wooden boats that carry passengers.

here's one link...Pascoe seems to be pretty interested as he has linked a bunch to his site...whie I may or may not agree with his comments...the quotes from the USCG and tidbits of facts such a the weather and all are accurate as much as I have read...

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=el...&fr=chrf-yff32

Lot's of stuff when "El Torro II sinking" is googled if you don't want to wade through his site.

I was part of the lawsuit against the USCG till I flew a few some VIPs to the site and explained the "opertional USCG's" part in the rescue.....soon after USCG Air Station Cape My didn't seem to be part of the lawsuit anymore...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
OFB
Guru

Scary

Yup that be kind of my point. You can not simply state that a wood boat needs to be refastened after say 20 years. That's not a complete picture in any way shape or form. Old boats are old boats with a host of items and usually issues that should be looked at.

Hull material is just part of that picture.

Like most marine accidents there is rarely one issue as to cause. Combination yup.

Theses boats I am very familiar with. Each different in materials , construction, maintenance , life , etc etc.

The sinking packer had transport Canada certification, had not been refastened in it's life and was built in the 20's ( galvanized screws ). IMO fasteners did not bring her down, the owner did , from lack of experience in a maritime way.

The Grenfell needed new fasteners , that she received. original copper above and bronze below water line.

The old Sizuki < spl > gillnet was very much done in a sea way. Not rotten but way past any point in doing "fasteners". She had power removed , tanks removed, and is still a cottage on the water. Dock side its OK any other she will just fall apart.

The old Kishi boat is another example of a different construction technique.

Yup they are all wood.
Attached Thumbnails
113.jpg   852.jpg   1767.jpg   957.JPG  
Old 10-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Boat recovered and in port. Apparently it broke ribs.

Yacht that sank, then refloated missing its superstructure -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: MILWAUKIE
Vessel Name: Angelique
Vessel Model: Hatteras 80' CPMY
I fought the wooden boat battle for 20 years on my old 50s Chris double cabin. First was 3 big bilge pumps just in case. 2nd at 1st scheduled haul out I mapped all the thru hulls. Doing that I found a rotten sanitary overboard hose on one that fell off when touched. Kept those tapered plugs ready. Repowered and replaced gas with big yanmar diesels. Got rid of mufflers that fell apart when hammer tapped. New fuel tanks too. And re fastened for the repower. The wood hull was way stronger than bayliner 4788 we docked beside one time. My fenders flexed in his hull. So imho...the risk comes from the very old hoses and systems as much as from the planks. I had no rot to which I think salt and fresh use both plus mooring in a boathouse helped with. Lastly I think 50+ year old wood boats are for bays lakes and rivers now having seen what the heavy seas can do on working planks on re fastened boat. Glad to have a GB46
now
Angelique
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
"Bart Buntin, captain of the Timber Wolf, a Vessel Assist boat from Port Hadlock and a master diver, said the boat had a failure of 27 ribs, three planks wide, while underway Friday."

Maybe she hit something? A whale?
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Or many, most or all were broken all along...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
OFB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Or many, most or all were broken all along...
Cracked probably, then add in some fastener's beside existing and loaded incorrectly onto a travel lift.

The travel lift can be the demise of a lot of old wood boats IMO. The old girls like a keel lift, on there back so ta speak.

I just doubt its one issue, more likely a combination of several factors over a very long period of time.

Random thoughts.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: -

Thanks for posting that link. Had any of the rerports, news or otherwise, reported on the water conditions in the Strait at the time? Was the hull taking something of a beating from the waves or the stresses from rolling and pitching?

The photo in the link in the first post of this thread shows the water to be somewhat lumpy with swells and a few small whitecaps....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote