Old 05-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #101
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr2019 View Post
We are in Blaine, WA and the local newspaper, "The Northern Light" (Community Newspaper of Blaine and Birch Bay), is stating the border will reopen 22 June.

However, Canadians can freely come to the USA but going back they have to quarantine.

To me it does not seem fair to the Canadians.
I think the reopening should either be unilateral with no restrictions or the USA should wait to open the border until this can happen.
I am always nervous about these interpretations. Does this really mean that the US is opening the border for fully vaccinated Canadians and the Canadian border remains closed? I have yet to receive any credible information other than discussions are happening.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #102
Veteran Member

City: West Jordan, UT
Vessel Name: Blue
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R-27
I don't any final answer. At this point it is anybody's guess.

Billr2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #103
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr2019 View Post
We are in Blaine, WA and the local newspaper, "The Northern Light" (Community Newspaper of Blaine and Birch Bay), is stating the border will reopen 22 June.

However, Canadians can freely come to the USA but going back they have to quarantine.

To me it does not seem fair to the Canadians.
I think the reopening should either be unilateral with no restrictions or the USA should wait to open the border until this can happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I am always nervous about these interpretations. Does this really mean that the US is opening the border for fully vaccinated Canadians and the Canadian border remains closed? I have yet to receive any credible information other than discussions are happening.
Local news said DC is thinking about opening southbound to force Canada to negotiate. The only response I have seen is coming North by plane you no longer need to quarantine in a hotel.
So, Canadians may be able to go south and return home, but the Americans cannot until we get 75% vaccinated.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #104
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Local news said DC is thinking about opening southbound to force Canada to negotiate. The only response I have seen is coming North by plane you no longer need to quarantine in a hotel.
So, Canadians may be able to go south and return home, but the Americans cannot until we get 75% vaccinated.
Do you have a source for this? All I have heard is that some "experts" are in favour of abandoning that particular restriction. Nothing official has been said, whatsoever, AFAIK
Old 05-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #105
Veteran Member

City: Victoria B.C.
As usual Canadian policies are mess: contradictory, arbitrary, inconsistent, hypocritical, etc. Recently some female political hack, a government minister, got caught breaking the rules of her own department, but of course she never got fired for it since she was high on the 'itersectionality' scale. That's very important in ever so 'woke' Canada.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:18 PM   #106
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. JW. Are you suggesting the previous Canadian government was less "...contradictory, arbitrary, inconsistent, hypocritical, etc."? If so....

Old 05-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #107
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Do you have a source for this? All I have heard is that some "experts" are in favour of abandoning that particular restriction. Nothing official has been said, whatsoever, AFAIK
I heard him say it, but cannot find the video, it was on Global this week. It was since the panel recommendation. It could have been while he was being translated.
Trudeau plans to attend the G7 in two weeks in the UK in person. Removing the three day quarantine would make sense to have his entourage return without quarantine.
This link is the closest to repeating it.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #108
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
I heard him say it, but cannot find the video, it was on Global this week. It was since the panel recommendation. It could have been while he was being translated.
Trudeau plans to attend the G7 in two weeks in the UK in person. Removing the three day quarantine would make sense to have his entourage return without quarantine.
This link is the closest to repeating it.
Steve:

Thanks
Now we just need to be patient. Again
Old 05-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #109
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
There have been international vaccination cards for decades already. I had a few myself..yellow fever, and a few others were required for certain countries.
Of course this is easy to do. But the US Feds have unequivocally stated they are not going to do it. Because of "privacy and personal freedom" concerns. This is quite the cop out. Provide the means, make it optional, anyone with sufficient "privacy and personal freedom" concerns needn't apply. If Canada won't let them in as a result, that is a "personal" problem, and not one for the rest of us.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #110
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As I understand it, to cruise on a cruise ship from a US port, the ship needs 100% crew and 95% passengers vaccinated.This requirement comes from the USA CDC

I am assuming the vax card provided is good enough.

My guess is they are thinking if people falsify cards, close quarters travel has always been risky, if you have been vaccinated you should have a legit card but don't really have to worry, if most passengers are vaccinated, they might have a few cases buy not an outbreak, and if you fabricated your card because you aren't vaccinated....well you get what you get.

I think that's Florida's view on not even requiring cards anywhere/anytime...and maybe the rest of the world may sit back and see how well it does or doesn't work.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #111
Guru

City: NC
The EU is debating having a "Yellow Card" and who knows what will happen.

Ireland is now letting people from the US in without time spent in a hotel. One does have to have a negative test a few days after arrival.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #112
Veteran Member

City: Victoria B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. JW. Are you suggesting the previous Canadian government was less "...contradictory, arbitrary, inconsistent, hypocritical, etc."? If so....

No, when I wrote "as usual", I meant to suggest that previous ones were similar. That's what......as usual....means..
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #113
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I saw this in a Canadian news header this morning.

“New York Democrat, 2 Trudeau Liberals push to reopen U.S.-Canada border”

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #114
Veteran Member

City: Grace Harbor
Vessel Name: Seabiscuit
Vessel Model: Mainship 43 aft cabin
Update

It is being widely reported that remarks by Trudeau in the last day or so indicate that border restrictions will be softened before the end of June. Proof of vaccination will be required and possibly a Covid test on arrival. The latter depends on the vaccination rate in Canada. If it holds at current levels (likely) no test will be required as they will have achieved 75% of the entire population having had at least one dose which provides 85 -89% efficacy according to multiple studies.
Sadly, the US is unlikely to reach 60% in the same timeframe.
Rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #115
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Some parts of the US are already there, in fact well past that. Some parts will never get there because they are populated by vax deniers. Education level seems to be the best predictor of which is which. The US is at the point that anyone that wants a shot can get a shot. Around here you can walk into any drug store and get one straight away.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #116
TF Site Team

The opening of the border will require a degree of confidence in the safety of citizens already on their home side of that border, from invasion of the virus across that border. With some areas of both countries not close to a "Safe" level of vaccinations, it will be a while yet.