Trawlerfest Bay Bridge Maryland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainetrawler

Veteran Member
My husband and I have just registered to attend the Trawlerfest in Maryland. We are taking 3 different courses each. We are still waiting to buy a Nordhavn 47 once our house sells. Anyone else planning to attend?

Didn't realize, thanks for posting. We may go; that's very nearby, and we haven't been to one in probably 12-15 years...

-Chris

Just a comment on selling house.....one finance person I spoke with at the Seattle boat show told me not to sell my house if I was contemplating financing any portion of a boat.

Said finance companies were much more friendly if you had a house and more difficult if you didn't. He advised buy the boat first, then sell the house. Of course if you are "trading in" your house for a boat this is irrelevant info.

Ken

I am finding out that your credit score is hurt by not owning real estate.

thinking of buying and renting to resolve what I consider totally impersonal business practices buy the banking and insurance businesses these days.

thinking of buying and renting to resolve what I consider totally impersonal business practices buy the banking and insurance businesses these days.

It used to be called quantitative analysis but now it's called analytics. Kind of like actuarial science. You get treated like you will live to age X when in fact you live to X+10 or some other number or X-10 or some lower number.

If you really want to get screwed on homeowners insurance, buy a house in FL.

Hey thanks for input and information. I am sure the analysis is correct, but without house sale there will be no boat!
I loved the story in the Passage magazine this month about the couple who finally got their boat. I hope we are next.
I hope to see you all at the Fest!
The more, the merrier :)

Maintrawler, have you attended a previous Trawlerfest? My wife and I signed up for the Maryland event. Don't know if it's worth it or not. Any comments would be appreciated.

When we bought the boat, we still owned our house. Since then we sold the house and moved aboard. The interest rates changed over time and we wanted to refinance. We found that very few lenders would finance if you "lived-aboard". Essex and Sun are they only two the last time we checked.

Simpleinterest, we attended the Trawlerfest last January in Riviera Beach Florida and it was great. Wonderful courses, attendees, boats to tour. We can't wait for the Baybridge trawlerfest. We have each signed up for 3 different courses. We are very close to buying a boat in a few months and moving aboard so it will be an exciting few months.

HenryD, have you checked with Markel? When I did my research some time ago they did finance liveaboards.

while I am attending bay bridge this year,it appears the in water boats are very limited.A little disappointing

I am disappointed too; I learned recently Nordhavn is not planning to attend. Well, the courses and people will still be great, and it will be fun to see the boats that are there.
I am glad you are coming!

I am disappointed too; I learned recently Nordhavn is not planning to attend. Well, the courses and people will still be great, and it will be fun to see the boats that are there.
I am glad you are coming!

Nordy not coming to the Trawler Fest? Really?

Sometimes the absence of a big player is more impacting than their presence. I hope that's not the case.

I wonder if Passagemaker is just getting crazy with prices for the vendors (Nordhavn) to display, or they aren't getting enough sales from the Trawlerfest attendees?

I went to the PassageMaker Cruiserport at the Miami show last year and at the FLL show the year before (actually 1.3 years before since it is in November). I was disappointed in them and I was wondering then if they are saturating with Trawlerfests and Cruiserports. They may be better off with just two big events each year - one east cast, one west. Or maybe one of each type on each coast.

We attended or 1st Trawlerfest in 2012. This was really our initial exposure to the trawler life-style and a real eye-opener! Very educational.

Back again in 2013. Again, glad we went.

Diana & I have signed up again for various courses this year but will have to leave on Friday evening.

We hope to meet some of you there!

Only one more week to Trawlerfest. I can't wait for the course I am taking "Hands-On Boat Handling". The list of boats has grown: a lot of great boats to look at!

I got an email this morning from TrawlerFest saying if you have bought tickets in advance, the will refund the money. Email to follow on how to get the money back.

Later,
Dan

We were very disappointed by the way they handled the cancellation. We travelled 7 hours to attend and received an email 27 minutes before the seminar we were attending that everything was cancelled! Nobody was on site. All locked up and even the signs were taken down. Several other people were milling about and hadn't even received notification!

thank god I got an email from one of the dealers that I know,otherwise I would have been in the same boat(pun intended)as you are.I agree that passagemaker was very slow in announcing it.Guess it was all about the money they were trying to salvage,with little regard for all those people that drove great distances to attend.

Greetings,
Mr. t. "...it was all about the money...". When PMM was first launched, I suppose it was all about the money then as well BUT the demographic that Mr. Bill P' was aiming for was folks like the majority of TF members IMO. The BIG change came when PMM was sold off. Having experienced 2 Trawler fests, thinking back, it's still about the money but more so...

I too was very disappointed about the way this was handled. I did not get a real good feeling earlier on in the registration process. Seems like there was a lack of organization and there were inconsistencies in seminar scheduling. I did attend some of the seminars on Wednesday and Thursday and the instructors were very good. I drove seven hours to attend, bought a VIP pass for both my wife and I and had hotel expenses of $220/night. I realize the organizers can't control the weather, but the seminars were inside and the hurricane was already predicted to head out to sea. It appears the decision to cancel was made Thursday night but the notification email was not sent to participants until after 8:00 am on Friday. I was lucky the hotel was nice enough to waive the cancellation notice notice and not charge me the Friday night rate of $300.00. Not sure I will try to attend future Trawlerfest events. Guess we'll see how they handle the refunds.

I realize the organizers can't control the weather, but the seminars were inside and the hurricane was already predicted to head out to sea. It appears the decision to cancel was made Thursday night but the notification email was not sent to participants until after 8:00 am on Friday.

FWIW, we weren't sure here that Joaquin was headed out to sea until late afternoon on Friday. At not sure enough so we could tell which option of our hurricane plan to activate.

We're about 20 mins from BBM, on the west side of the Bay...

-Chris

even though the info you gave is correct,the email from the exhibitor dealer I received came on Thursday at 9am.He stated that that many exibitors had pulled out by that point,leaving only a small handful.The on land portion had already been cancelled.So except for the seminars,there really wasn't a boat show.The notification from PM came out Friday.

Give them a break

Well, we came all the way from Florida by air for Trawlerfest. Conditions on Thursday were awful with blowing rain and cold winds. We made the most out of a very unfortunate situation for all involved. We were told by the folks in the Trawlerfest office that the outside displays and tents weren't allowed to open because of the high winds, then late Thursday afternoon around 4:00 pm, the Governor declared a state of emergency. It was then that a decision was made to pull the plug on Trawlerfest, a wise decision by PMM in my opinion. So even though we spent a ton of money to come here for this event, we're willing to give PMM a break because we've been through 2 direct hurricane hits and things can get a little crazy when your preparing for the worst case scenarios.

We got there on Wednesday morning for the seminars and I must say, it's like we surprised them. Parking was screwy- they parked us as far away as possible from the seminar building when there was a large empty lot adjacent to the building- yes, it was raining!

They handed me my badge with NOTHING else. No program or promo material at all! I came back on Thursday and asked for the Beneteau bag (after I saw others with them) which did have stuff in it.

The A/C was broken in the 2 classrooms we visited. Rest rooms were totally inadequate in number.

They did (finally) bring us some coffee and donut munchkins, some water bottles later in the day in a very dirty old cooler.

I cannot believe how low this event has sunken. I doubt we'll be back.

I got the same email about a refund. So far nothing else
. Anyone know about this?

We only had tickets for the show without any seminars. We found out at the door the event was being cancelled and that we would get a refund. So far, no email or money...

Back
Top Bottom