Tarpon Springs cruise / get together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ted. I could send her with a one way ticket. Funny she would love to do it too.

February is coming. Hopefully the engine problems are corrected, now to get the brightwork done. Then I’ll get it waxed so I’m only moderately embarrassed being docked near you. :)

Some pictures of the municipal marina taken from land. The transient slips are the one facing the opposite shore where you see Bella Donna, etc. Current rips past there pretty good at times so be aware.
Dockmaster was not around he spends a lot of time at the shops. My advice would be to call ahead when you are in the river.
That peach colored building is a good landmark as it is just past the marina.

Oh yea, there is a restaurant with outdoor seating next to the marina so you will be the entertainment LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 44
Some pictures of the municipal marina taken from land. The transient slips are the one facing the opposite shore where you see Bella Donna, etc. Current rips past there pretty good at times so be aware.
Dockmaster was not around he spends a lot of time at the shops. My advice would be to call ahead when you are in the river.
That peach colored building is a good landmark as it is just past the marina.

Oh yea, there is a restaurant with outdoor seating next to the marina so you will be the entertainment LOL.
Thanks Jay!

So the slips look like pilings with a floating finger pier. Is that about right?
The slips look kinda small. Does it look like my 15' beam is going to squeeze in there?

Ted

That is the first marina I have seen with short floating piers. The main piers look to be fixed concrete, with ramps down to each perpendicular small pier which is floating.

Not much headroom on that pile near the main pier. Any significant tropical storm coming near would drive the water up and over it. The twin piles far out look like they have plenty of headroom, but that won't be much consolation for any boat tied up there in a storm. The pier would end up twisted and maybe on top of its neighbor.

Interesting, but not where I would want to be in a storm!!!

David

Thanks Jay!

So the slips look like pilings with a floating finger pier. Is that about right?
The slips look kinda small. Does it look like my 15' beam is going to squeeze in there?

Ted

Hard to tell. I "assume" that if you gave the dockmaster your boat specs that he had a place you would fit.

ot much headroom on that pile near the main pier. Any significant tropical storm coming near would drive the water up and over it. The twin piles far out look like they have plenty of headroom, but that won't be much consolation for any boat tied up there in a storm. The pier would end up twisted and maybe on top of its neighbor.

I am surprised they are so short. The street floods often (1 or 2 times a year that I know of) and I would have thought they would have built it taller.

But what do we know, we're only boaters.

Going to try to make it by car. On the calendar.

OK wife also took some pictures with different angles. Those floaters also have loops going to the tall pilings.
And the short pilings are shorter than the wall at the marina. But I don't know the elevation at the place on the street that floods.

And Ted, perhaps the plan is to put you on that outside slip where the aft cabin boat is.

Tarpon springs Marina

Good afternoon all
Notice some advice about the marina. I have attached a red lined aerial of the marina. Some of the road side and e-w berths are taken by locals. The river berths are for transients and there are more berths than this picture shows. You will be able to see my boat ( see my avatar) upon approach. Be advised and I'm now moored the other way round stbd side to.

Attachments

• Tarpon springs Marina.jpg
    Tarpon springs Marina.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 53
Good afternoon all
Notice some advice about the marina. I have attached a red lined aerial of the marina. Some of the road side and e-w berths are taken by locals. The river berths are for transients and there are more berths than this picture shows. You will be able to see my boat ( see my avatar) upon approach. Be advised and I'm now moored the other way round stbd side to.

Hi Martin,
Do you think the river berths are over 15' wide, and are they now configured with more pilings and the floating finger pier?

Ted

Hi Martin,
Do you think the river berths are over 15' wide, and are they now configured with more pilings and the floating finger pier?

Ted

Ted,

When I asked Mick, dockmaster, about my width (14.5) he said no problem. Might be worth a call, however.

Tarpon Springs Rendezvous

I am on Longboat Key, without my Mainship (she lives up north). Would like to join for lunch one day.

Bill Kimbell
2007 Mainship 34 Pilot

Ted. Not sure of the berth width. I've seen some 45-50ft boats in them. I will be back on my boat 1st Jan so could measure for you. However may allay your fears sooner if you called the dockmaster. Having said that there is a alongside berth that would take a 60ft with no beam restriction. The only hassle I see is the short floating docks.

Well, let's put a stake in the ground and say:

2 PM on Saturday Jan 11th for lunch at a place TBD. :thumb:
That should give the drivers time to get there and get home at a decent hour.

If I can get some kind of a headcount I can do some recon within the next couple of weeks and find a place that can handle the group unless someone else wants to do that.

Anyone?
We are checking the calendar but I think we are going to try to be in Tarpon Springs for this weekend and would love to meet some fellow TFers. Will confirm in next few days.

Hope it works for you.

Ted

Hi Martin,

Ted
We were just there a couple of weeks ago. You will not have any problem with your 15' beam. We are 14.5 wide and I don't remember beam being any issue at all there. It's a very nice facility IMO. We enjoyed our stay and the location is fantastic for walking around the sponge dock area. Many, many choices for restaurants, too. I think you are picking a great spot.

Mines a 67ft Cheoy Lee (see my Avatar) with 5ft 3" draft. I've seen some pretty big stuff come up the river, with draft greater than me. I have not been down river yet since the sea trials. I bought the boat here and have been refitting it since. Hopefully finished prior to spring.
We spent some time there recently and I had not seen this thread until now. The entire time we were there in the municipal marina I admired your boat. I wish I would have known it was a fellow TF member. You have a very nice looking vessel!

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. You will not have any problem with your 15' beam. We are 14.5 wide and I don't remember beam being any issue at all there. It's a very nice facility IMO. We enjoyed our stay and the location is fantastic for walking around the sponge dock area. Many, many choices for restaurants, too. I think you are picking a great spot.
Thanks AZ, I appreciate the information!

Ted

Hi,
Just returned from southern caribean cruise and wondering if any decision has been made on which day of the weekend the get together will be?

Hi,
Just returned from southern caribean cruise and wondering if any decision has been made on which day of the weekend the get together will be?

This is the plan. If likely to come, please specify whether more than just yourself.

Ted

Well, let's put a stake in the ground and say:

2 PM on Saturday Jan 11th for lunch at a place TBD. :thumb:
That should give the drivers time to get there and get home at a decent hour.

If I can get some kind of a headcount I can do some recon within the next couple of weeks and find a place that can handle the group unless someone else wants to do that.

Anyone?

Hi,

Was mentioned Saturday at 2. Location to be determined.

However, I could vote for just a tad later for us that are boating in on Saturday. Slack (high) tide is at 2 and I've heard it can be a bitch getting in. Suppose I could bow in without much problem, but would prefer stern in. But planning on it.

Current calms down last third of the cycle. Plus you'll be a little bit out of the main flow.

Current calms down last third of the cycle. Plus you'll be a little bit out of the main flow.

Jay,

Good point, however, I'll take all the help I can get. If needed I can bow in, a bit easier with current and wind.

Looks like I'll get there somewhere around noon and can access things. Looking forward to it.

Hi Ted,
As they say timing is everything. Unfortunately, as much as I was hoping to attend, evening plans back home will preclude my being there. Hopefully, this will happen again in the future. Hope everyone has a great time together.

It looks like every other tide is only a half tide. I coming up on the 9th. It looks like the noon and 5pm tide change is slightly over 1'. Does that substantially reduce the tidal current overall?

Ted

I had originally said I would attend, but family activities now preclude attending.

David

Ok guys, it's down to the wire pretty much. Either Friday or Monday/Tuesday I plan on going into Tarpon springs and see about a reservation.
So far I only count 8 which means we really don't need a reservation.
I have:
Ted =2
Capt Jack =2
SeeVee =2

JLeonard =1

IF I MISSED someone please type up asap.

IF you have not decided, you can only procrastinate another couple of days.
Come join us.

Happy New Year everyone.
See ya on the sponge docks.

Last edited:
Ok guys, it's down to the wire pretty much. Either Friday or Monday/Tuesday I plan on going into Tarpon springs and see about a reservation.
So far I only count 8 which means we really don't need a reservation.
I have:
Ted =2
Capt Jack =2
SeeVee =2
bill kimbell =1
JLeonard =1

IF I MISSED someone please type up asap.

IF you have not decided, you can only procrastinate another couple of days.
Come join us.

Happy New Year everyone.
See ya on the sponge docks.

Jay, I appreciate you taking this on!

Ted

Back
Top Bottom