Repositioning Florida to Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PuraVidaBob

Vessel Name
Pura Vida III
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 60
Hi All,

After 10 years of exploring the Bahamas & the Keys we are considering moving our base of operation to La Paz in the Sea of Cortez. It is a long cruise down to the Panama Canal & up to Cabo & La Paz through unfamiliar territory. I am wondering if anyone is aware of any groups that undertake this together similar to the Fubar run on the west coast?

Good Timing... I was just researching the same thing. Been looking at shippers, but wheres the adventure in that. Also thinking about bringing a captain on board for the journey since its all unfamiliar territory.

looking forward to any responses you get.

Yes we considered shippers as well, but your right, no adventure there, that's what we bought our boats for!
Where do you have your boat located, on the east coast? Perhaps if nothing else we can create a small group to travel, if not together, at least in proximity to lower the concerns about traveling in unfamiliar waters.

Hi All,

After 10 years of exploring the Bahamas & the Keys we are considering moving our base of operation to La Paz in the Sea of Cortez. It is a long cruise down to the Panama Canal & up to Cabo & La Paz through unfamiliar territory. I am wondering if anyone is aware of any groups that undertake this together similar to the Fubar run on the west coast?

Although we are going in the opposite direction, were in Mexico headed to the Canal this winter and then into the Caribbean.

We joined Panama Posse and I believe they can help you out. I’m pretty sure they go both ways.

https://panamaposse.com/

Cheers

If you cannot find an organized group, you will probably have decent luck finding buddy boats headed the same direction by stopping in known cruising destinations. Unless cruisers are headed to Rio Dulce or Belize for diving, most heading south will head east through the Bahamas and Turks/Caicos, then pass between Cuba and Hispanola to Port Antonio, Jamaica. Many now avoid the western Caribbean route due to some disturbing piracy events off Nicaragua, plus it puts you in the teeth of the Gulf Stream.

From Pt Antonio, it's about 550 nms to the Canal, or only 2-1/2 days. You will find plenty of north-bound boats from there. And there's decent cruising in Bocas del Toro if you're inclined to stop for a while.

Good luck!

Peter

Last edited:
As the owner of a sister ship to Pura Vida III, please post regularly on your venture through the Canal and up to Sea of Cortez.

Back
Top Bottom