Narragansett Bay Area - POIs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex F

Vessel Name
Inspiration
Vessel Make
420DB
Perhaps you guys can give me few tips on Narragansett Bay area. I'm looking at the following ports:

Newport
Bristol
Wickford
Battleship Cove, Fall River
Jamestown
Warwick
Providence

I'm also considering Sakonnet River and Westport Harbor.

I've been in Newport number of times, but didn't go to the other ports on the list. It's surprising that there's very limited info on docking/mooring in Providence. So far I see that Brewer Cove Haven Marina is the closest decent option. But, it seems to be good distance away. According to AC the town dock is in shallow water and not the best option. Is there any other option for docking/mooring/anchorage there?

Any other tips for destinations and things to do would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Alex, here is a ditty I wrote the other day about Westport Harbor, our summer base back in the day, and environs.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Anchorages - or open mooring fields - southern NE

We day tripped Narragansett Bay several times, so I won't hold out total expertise on harbors and marinas there.

Heading up the Sakonnet, around the corner from Westport, you sometimes can get a transient spot in little Sakonnet Point harbor. Charming, but not a lot there, but at one point they were going to offer access to the nice Sakonnet Point Club there. You could call the club or harbormaster:

Sakonnet Point Marina
Sakonnet Point Club - Boating

Further up the river comes Tiverton, with some moorings and dockage on town (east side) and a larger full service marina on the west side of the river.

Continue up the river to Fall River and Battleship Cove in downtown Fall River. Definitely a fun stop.

The Waterway guide Northern edition does a good job of covering this whole area. What are your objectives?

George,

Thanks for the tips. The idea is to come up with itinerary having ports with mixed activities, which would include sites seeing, museums, shows, markets, some local shopping and of course beach/water activities.

I'm trying to time it so we can get to see the "fire water" show in Providence, so I just need to find good place to stay.

I agree that Battleship Cove sounds like fun place.

I have the WWCG Northern on the boat, so I'll review it this weekend. But, it's always good to have local knowledge tips, regardless what the book says.

I'm at the beginning stage of my research and will be happy to take any suggestions.

Alex: there is a marina just inside the hurricane barrier, but I don't know if they have transient slips. Also you can't be too big to get inside the barrier gates. Perhaps anchor near fields point and dingy up to prov. wickford is very nice, five free moorings just inside breakwater. Jamestown (conanicut marina) has slips/moorings. E. Greenwich harbor has a number of nice restaurants & transients. Potters cove, kickimuit river, fog land in the sakonnet river, great salt ponds narragansett are great to anchor. Watch hill is very nice to visit too.

I am from Westport, great town, beautiful clean area. George has accurately described the area, so I will not repeat his coverage. The ports of Jamestown and Wickford, Jamestown, Bristol and Warwick are great spots. Mostly depends on your interest. Throw in Block Island and Cuttyhunk you will have some great cruseing grounds. Personally, they all surpass Newport, Martha Vineyard and Nantucket. Those three are charming and have lots to do, they are too crowded and way out of price for the Hassel. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom