Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
MD DNR “no recreational boating allowed”

FYI,

Stopped and threatened with arrest today on Patapsco River by DNR. By myself in tender. Sighted no recreational boating allowed of any kind.

Hard to believe the total lack of common sense by LEO. I can reide a bike through a park with other people, drive a car to a store, but not isolate in a small boat.

What about a liveaboard on the hook or mooring needing food/supplies etc?

I have contacted local govt and BoatUS govt affairs.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S.

Recreational Boating

According to the Maryland DNR, recreational boating is prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended. However, if an individual is boating to seek food for them or their family, boating is permitted. Boats used to transport essential employees or goods as defined in the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce are also permitted.
Liveaboards

If your boat serves as your residence, you can remain on the vessel.

What part of the regulation don't you understand? Why was the LEO lacking common sense? This has nothing to do with bike riding or going to a store.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That seems a bit unreasonable unless you had a boat load of people. But what about liveaboards? How are they supposed to get groceries? I guess I would tell them I was on a grocery run???
Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Here and there
If you were rowing, you could have said it was exercise, a permitted activity. Kayaks and paddle boards are specifically mentioned.

If you live on your boat you’re allowed to stay on it. (Gee, that’s nice of them.)

You can also go boating to seek food. And you can fish if you intend to eat it. I guess if you don’t look like you’re enjoying yourself, it’s ok.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
i guess if you don’t look like you’re enjoying yourself, it’s ok.[/QUOTE]

Good one!
Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here and there
What’s crazy is if the OP had a single crab trap in his dinghy, he would have been absolutely legal, saying he was crabbing to seek food for him and his family.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
Guru

RT, I understand the regulation, but DNR clearly does not. “Absolutely no recreational boating”, “if I see you again I will cite you”, “there are fines and imprisonment involved”

Seems a bit harsh for a guy by himself in a tender. There were no questions of why, destination, etc.

I have recently been told kayaking, rowing etc. are also included in the no recreational boating by a buddy at Homeland Security as I am trying to figure out my options.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 03-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
Guru

Porgy,

Just got a fishing license online. Will have a rod with me next time

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 03-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
But you were pursuing happiness.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Southport-ish
Vessel Name: Bad Idea
Vessel Model: 36 Albin
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
But you were pursuing happiness.
Ha
Old 03-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S.

Recreational Boating

According to the Maryland DNR, recreational boating is prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended. However, if an individual is boating to seek food for them or their family, boating is permitted. Boats used to transport essential employees or goods as defined in the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce are also permitted.
Liveaboards

If your boat serves as your residence, you can remain on the vessel.

What part of the regulation don't you understand? Why was the LEO lacking common sense? This has nothing to do with bike riding or going to a store.

Damn that regulation is a major overreach of government. If one is social distancing that should be good enough. Don' t get me wrong, our current pandemic is a total shitshow and folks that gather should be held accountable.. Next time the OP should start coughing.. I bet the Leo won't want to get anywhere near him!
HOLLYWOOD
Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. h. Yup. Major overreach BUT what is the alternative? Around here, there are some pretty tight restrictions as well. People over 70 can't leave their houses. Not for food or exercise.

We were in Fort Lauderdale the middle of March. The beach was jam packed with spring breakers. No social distancing what-so-ever. I have no doubt IF the beaches hadn't been closed, they would STILL be busy. If not with drunk students, with northern vacationers.

I'm guessing most if not all TF members know what's going on and the value of some of the restrictions and abide by them but there seem to be a LOT of really stupid people who haven't got a clue as to the dangers. And yup, being alone, out in a dinghy seems pretty sensible to me.

Final point: We don't know what the mental state of the LEO was. He may have been completely stressed out and simply overreacted, he was just doing his job or he was "one of those" LEO's (Barney Fife syndrome).
Old 03-31-2020, 10:30 PM   #13
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
The temporary ban on recreactional boating, went into effect with Govenor Hogan's Stay at Home order that was issued yesterday. The order covers both residents and non-residents.

There are a lot of exceptions to the stay at home order, i.e., food, pharmacy, essential services. Were you getting supplies? If you had a valid reason to be on the dingy, this should have been shared with the LEO. Otherwise, I think the response was appropriate.

Governor Hogan is a Republican governor in a Democratic state. He is in his second term as most Marylanders appreciated for his pragmatic approach to governing. As a resident, I find the Stay at Home order to be necessary to stop our Covid-19 rate from exploding, especially since we see increases in both cases and deaths, even with the previous common sense approaches implemented in the state.

You always have the freedom to move your boat to another state!

Jim
Old 04-01-2020, 05:21 AM   #14

City: Port Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post

You always have the freedom to move your boat to another state!
Once the restriction is lifted!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #15
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
The same applies to RV over night stays? Once in, cant leave?
What about long haul truckers with an attached sleeper?
Going out to dump my sanitary tank or searching for a pump out facility?
In this particular case, I do not believe 'they' have thought this through properly.

Upon earlier advice, if I find I want to move my boat..... I will try not to look like I am enjoying myself.

Guess you could tell the LOE, "I need help. Come aboard." Tell them, "Go into the engine room and look for seawater leaks or if he hears any strange noises."
Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #16

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
The same applies to RV over night stays? Once in, cant leave?
."

King Hogan also closed all the campground/RV parks in the state. Full timers that were there can stay.

John
Old 04-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #17

City: Cape Coral FL\Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
They have been a bit more reasonable here in FL. We can still use our boats, but maintain 50' separation between other boats, and no more than 10 persons on board. No going on public beaches, but you are allowed to anchor 400' off the beach.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #18

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
They have been a bit more reasonable here in FL. We can still use our boats, but maintain 50' separation between other boats, and no more than 10 persons on board. No going on public beaches, but you are allowed to anchor 400' off the beach.
Ron

To my knowledge MD is the only state attempting to close off the public’s waterways including both inland and tidal waters.

John
Old 04-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #19
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Think about. The waterways are Federal. The governor has no more right to close the waters as he does to close the roadways. So, can liveaboards move their boats away from their berths. Apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
Ron

To my knowledge MD is the only state attempting to close off the public’s waterways including both inland and tidal waters.

John
Old 04-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
LOL You have got to making that up.

No longer can we provide assistance to boater in trouble unless you have a 50ft+ boat.

I guess the 'day boats for tourist fishing' and gambling boats are all shut down and welded to the dock "until further notice"?

And I just opened a floating brothel boat. SHRUG Bankrupt again and all the skilled ladies.... unemployed .....
Next, no more smuggling of people and guns and drugs. What's an honest guy to do for employment?

Hmmm, think I have been in quarantine too long?