MD DNR “no recreational boating allowed”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog is perfectly well trained. We live 2 blocks from the creek and in the summer walk down there every morning for a swim. She's not leashed for those two blocks or while she's swimming.

Technically I could get fined for her being off leash even while she's swimming. Yes I could complain about how unfair and uninformed that is - I mean how is she supposed to retrieve if she's leashed? And I could claim that my dog is "different" because she's trained.

But I don't expect them to make regulations that say "except for good dogs" or "except when they are swimming". I understand that they need to paint with a broad brush and that I may get fined in the process. So be it. It keeps the ridiculous untrained dogs leashed.

Yep - you're absolutely not causing a problem by riding in the dinghy by yourself. But they're not going to differentiate that from a bunch of people on a booze cruise. The regulation can't be that specific, and to think it should be is unreasonable.
BD

BD,

Understood and not complaining about order so much as the lack of common sense of DNR LEO.

All, FYI varnish got away from me yesterday. 20-30kts for a a day or two,so will attempt a “limited recreational fishing outing” on Saturday.

Also not trying to “prove a point” or “downplay this pandemic” etc. But if I can’t count on LEO judgment.....I simply want to continue my lifestyle while adhering to regulations and common sense.

Wifey B: I know there may be some overregulation some places right now but I so prefer it to taking too few steps. It may be the difference between 200,000 deaths and 2 million. The charts predicting 100,000-240,000 deaths all depend on compliance to social distancing and shelter at home. Sure, one person on his dinghy creates no risk but these rules are written broad to try to limit dangerous exceptions. We've seen so much reckless disregard from beaches to spring break charters to Mexico by U of Texas students. What we're trying to limit is non essential activity and there is some overreach.

I know some of it is irritating and annoying and seems unreasonable but a reminder, we're only at the beginning of this. We all have to adjust to this different way of life. It's restrictive. It's challenging. Right now I can get on my boat and go to sea and back home but if they say I can't, then I won't. That simple. If it's Martial Law then so be it. I don't like living like this, but I do like living. I'm willing to give up whatever it takes. I can't shed a tear for myself or the OP when I see people dying and their loved ones can't even be there to hold their hands or say goodbye. We're only 1 or 2 weeks in to 60 or 90 days likely of this. Any of us with food and shelter and health right now are the fortunate ones.

Last night I enjoyed watching Jimmy Fallon. In his basement. His daughter holds signs and gives openings. Everyone else by remote cams wherever they might be. Samuel L. Jackson. Monologue with no laughs. But, I enjoyed it. I did so because it was making the most of the situation. So, in honor of making the best of a bad situation, I present :rofl:

I guess I don't get it. We're in a situation unlike anything that has ever happened in our country. We could lose a quarter million people to this virus.

And some of the dipwads on this forum are b!tching because they can't use their freaking boat or proudly proclaim they are going to test the limits of what they see as an unconstitutional infringement on their right to go boating.

What is it you people don't get? How many of your friends and neighbors must die before you start to get a glimmer of just how damn serious this COVID-19 virus is? Maybe the "laws" passed by the governors or whatever their title might be could be considered to be unconstitutional. If you believe that, challenge their laws in court. But for the meanwhile do what the hell they say. They aren't passing these laws because they want to be jerks, they're passing these laws because many people are jerks and want to argue the constitutionality of someone wanting to protect them from their own stupidity.

I'm sitting here shaking my head over how stupid some people can be.

What I see is not folks throwing away their rights but their elected officials trying to
act quickly enough to save lives so the survivors will be around to vote next time.
Some might call it overreaching but I would call it doing their job(s).

Although I understand and agree in part. There are always other ways to deal with this, like the N1N1 or the common flu.

The rights and liberties that the U.S. Constitution provides are ABSOLUTE. :socool:

Also not trying to “prove a point” or “downplay this pandemic” etc. But if I can’t count on LEO judgment.....I simply want to continue my lifestyle while adhering to regulations and common sense.

Scott,

I apologize is I missed it, but, I don't recall you stating if you had a discussion with the LEO as to WHY you were on the boat?

Jim

Although I understand and agree in part. There are always other ways to deal with this, like the N1N1 or the common flu.

The rights and liberties that the U.S. Constitution provides are ABSOLUTE. :socool:
The senior health officials that have direct experience with the (4) most recent
pandemics have stated that COVID-19 is not comparable to any of those, sadly it's worse.
This is why the death numbers are already higher than any of the other pandemics.

Common flu is not a pandemic. COVID-19 has an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE greater
mortality rate and is similar in infectiousness/transmisability.

Please don't start calling names...makes one fair game every time they post something that most don't agree with.

Some of those dipwads may be WAYYYY smarter than some others here so it may not even be an accurate assessment.

Posts rarely cover a persons whole understanding or feeling of a discussion....on both sides.

Last edited:
I guess I don't get it. We're in a situation unlike anything that has ever happened in our country. We could lose a quarter million people to this virus.

And some of the dipwads on this forum are b!tching because they can't use their freaking boat or proudly proclaim they are going to test the limits of what they see as an unconstitutional infringement on their right to go boating.

What is it you people don't get? How many of your friends and neighbors must die before you start to get a glimmer of just how damn serious this COVID-19 virus is? Maybe the "laws" passed by the governors or whatever their title might be could be considered to be unconstitutional. If you believe that, challenge their laws in court. But for the meanwhile do what the hell they say. They aren't passing these laws because they want to be jerks, they're passing these laws because many people are jerks and want to argue the constitutionality of someone wanting to protect them from their own stupidity.

Mike,

Just because someone disagrees with your point of view doesn’t make the a dipwad. No reason to be insulting or belittling.

I won’t stoop to your level so “please grow up sir”

John

Now, now, be nice. There is not a person here that doesn't get it. What you don't get are the questions being raised about the inconsistencies in policy which are, quite frankly, nonsensical. Explain please why you are not outraged as to why liquor stores are allowed to remain open. Please explain why churches have not been directed to not hold services. Please explain why, in Maryland, fishing charters with ten or fewer folks on board are being allowed in the name of "fishing for food"? Give me a break. And, meanwhile live aboards, as we are, are not allowed to drop anchor in some deserted cove far away from any human contact. No recreational boating? What is the definition of recreational boating? Ask 100 people and you will get 100 answers. Citations will be issued but they will never stand in a court of law because the order is too vague. It gives examples of what is not recreational boating but that will not be dis-positive in court. Fishing for food, my eye. It is an exception made to keep fishing charter boats in business. When the weather gets better, I will be going out overnight someplace with a ball of string and some chicken necks (crab bait here the Chesapeake).

Look, Americans can put up with almost anything. Americans don't mind getting a screwing as long as everybody else is getting an equal screwing. What they do not like is nonsense. By your logic, all roadways should be closed. What is the difference between waterways and roadways? So, riddle me this. Do you see any risk to anybody if a person takes a drive in the country and never interacts with another human being. By the way, these are NOT laws, they are executive orders. Executives do not have the authority to issue edicts that violate the Constitution. Some folks think the Constitution is an important document. No, you do not get it, sir.

Just because someone disagrees with your point of view doesn’t make the a dipwad. No reason to be insulting or belittling.

I won’t stoop to your level so “please grow up sir”

No, in the current situation, it does. It does mean they're being a dipwad, and deserving of being insulted or belittled.

Don't pretend it's "grown up".

Don't pretend there's two sides to this situation. There aren't.

But hey, feel free to continue to pretend this is 'just like the flu'. Let's hope believing in that kind of stupidity doesn't add someone to the 5,700 (and counting) US deaths. Or anyone else near enough to be infected as a result.

I think we all need too get out more. Oh wait, maybe in a month.
And it's gonna be a loooong month.

No, in the current situation, it does. It does mean they're being a dipwad, and deserving of being insulted or belittled.

But hey, feel free to continue to pretend this is 'just like the flu'. Let's hope believing in that kind of stupidity doesn't add someone to the 5,700 (and counting) US deaths. Or anyone else near enough to be infected as a result.

Bill,
No, if you can't make your point without name calling, you've already lost. It's like arguing with racial, ethnic or gender slurs. Do you do that also?

Ted

It's like a political discussion.... take a few tidbits from several posts, intertwine them and assume anyone taking a slightly opposing side to be the devil.

I hope to use the same procedure back at'em the next time they don't agree with some boating things I just might know the answer to and they disagree... :rofl:

ITS A FREE FOR ALL NOW...and I didn't start it.... :D

Last edited:
Bill,
No, if you can't make your point without name calling, you've already lost. It's like arguing with racial, ethnic or gender slurs. Do you do that also?

Aw, bless your heart, trying to play the slur card. It's wrong, and you're pathetic for trying to take the cheap shot, but it's not unexpected.

Idiocy bears calling out, regardless of ethnicity.

Well, this thread is beginning to spin out of control! :eek:

I'm guessing that if we can't play nice together, the moderator is gonna close this sandbox! :ermm:

Jim

Well, someone feels strongly that calling names is appropriate.

Maybe the mods will just delete the name calling and trash posts...like this one...:D

I understand the concerns regarding covid deaths and so on. But so far we are way way lower than the 61,200 folks that died in 2018-2019 flu. Lots of deaths with N1H1.

Look folks are going to die from this. I hope it isn't a lot, but folks will die.

Does that mean we have to shut down the country or allow State Governors to set up "check points" on their state border? We didn't during the H1N1 or the flu.

There is a BIG BIG difference between suggesting folks stay indoors, social distancing etc and shutting down your Constitutional Rights and Liberties. Someone will have to take through the Courts to set these governors straight.

Remember the Constitution is ABSOLUTE!

No name calling here. Just discussion.

75,000 Americans died of opeoid overdoses in 2017. Every day just in America alone there are hundreds of thousands of hand to hand heroin and meth transactions happening. Outlaws don’t follow laws, which is why we have prisons, and many carry guns.
Just saying.
But us law obeying citizens can’t go self isolate in our boats or fishing on the banks behind our house (Georgia). Ok then. Disobey and LEO strangers will come up (so much for self isolation) to you and threaten to put you in jail. You know-where there is NO privacy. As they release actual criminals into the public. Yeah, makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Bill,

Sorry for my delayed response but I just got off a 3 hour conference call dealing with latest COVID 19 updates and its continuing impact on public education.

As a public official who has been tasked with making many difficult decisions in the last few weeks there’s one thing I learned early on. That is the info coming out of the medical community changes constantly as more is learned, is not always consistent amongst peers and then unfortunately is often twisted politically by folks on both sides of the aisle.

So please don’t accuse me me of “ pretending there’s two sides to this situation” because there’s not. See Bill complicated issue like this don’t have one or two sides but rather a circle of ever changing data that both the medical community and our elected leaders must use to make difficult and sometimes incorrect decisions.

Its really not difficult for people to have civil educated debate, discussion and disagreement without out resorting to childish behavior. Try it sometime.

Hope to meet on the Bay someday,

John

Aw, bless your heart, trying to play the slur card. It's wrong, and you're pathetic for trying to take the cheap shot, but it's not unexpected.

Idiocy bears calling out, regardless of ethnicity.

And you've lost again. Try using an intelligent response instead of an emotional response, please.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I fully agree with your views on the US Constitution. It SHOULD be absolute and in the majority of cases it IS. As I mentioned in a previous post that great document has been "bent" in the past (post #97).

I mentioned the TSA and you responded in your post #86... "Understand TSA. However they are a government agencies created into law after 9-11." Aren't the airport searches in violation of the 4th Amendment? In other words what you are saying is the government made it legal for "someone" to violate your constitutional rights.

I also suggested you do a bit of research to corroborate my comment. Apologies for making you do the work but here are some thoughts from the ACLU:
https://www.aclu.org/other/nsa-spying-americans-illegal
There are numerous other examples.

Yes, various Governors ARE enacting very unconstitutional measures and one can only hope that once this mess settles, they will be held accountable BUT I wouldn't count on it nor would I attempt to my invoke constitutional rights with anyone enforcing these measures. These are wacko-crazy times, my friend, and from my end, I'm just trying to stay healthy and out of everybody's way.

Keep well, stay calm, be strong and wait for the signs

I understand the concerns regarding covid deaths and so on. But so far we are way way lower than the 61,200 folks that died in 2018-2019 flu. Lots of deaths with N1H1.

Look folks are going to die from this. I hope it isn't a lot, but folks will die.

Does that mean we have to shut down the country or allow State Governors to set up "check points" on their state border? We didn't during the H1N1 or the flu.

There is a BIG BIG difference between suggesting folks stay indoors, social distancing etc and shutting down your Constitutional Rights and Liberties. Someone will have to take through the Courts to set these governors straight.

No name calling here. Just discussion.
It is important to understand the nature of COVID-19 and to resist the comfortable
comparisons to past pandemics. The death rate is doubling about every 4 days.
The 6000 dead in the US today may be 12,000 dead on April 6 and 24,000 on April 10.
So halfway through this month there may well be more dead than from the flu last year.
And this is just getting started. I hope there is another factor I'm not aware of that
will slow down the progression. I really do.
Most of us here, like myself, are in the high risk age group.
90% of COVID-19 deaths have been persons age 60 and older. Good luck to us all.

Don't forget, unlike the flu, COVID-19 can far more easily lead to hospitalization. So if it spreads quickly enough to overwhelm the hospitals in a large portion of the country, the death toll will climb significantly.

The report this morning was people over 60 with no pre existing conditions had a 95% survival rate.

Also the reports stated that pushing the guidelines hard, the models can be altered quite a bit.

Last edited:

I wish that the Constitution were absolute. A cursory review of Civil Asset Forfeiture will make short work of that statement. Remember Reagan's war on drugs?

These state by state executive orders are nothing more than cheap and easy bullying tactics; there isn't a governor in this country with the balls to declare martial law. And why would they? Why should they? This is Managing the Masses, 101.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Maryland law enforcement handles the few pastors and their congregations holding Sunday services this weekend. Should be fun.

giphy.webp

...and welcome aboard Mr./Ms TMWiv

Just a few thoughts:

I wish a lawyer would jump in here, but it’s my understanding that no rights under the Constitution are absolute. Even if they were, I would gladly inconvenience myself for a few months to help my country during a pandemic.

Also, the last projections I heard (consensus projections by epidemiologists; not hunches, wishes, feelings or aspirations) was 100,000 to 240,000 deaths under a rigorous social distancing regime . . . potentially millions otherwise. This is not the flu.

Lastly, this has the potential to result in civil unrest if people don’t get their $hit together and chill. The last thing we need in stressful times like these are whacko conspiracy theories. Just today, an engineer in LA ran a train off the tracks in attempt to sink a navy hospital ship because he suspected it was part of a government conspiracy to take over the country. WTF?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom