Massachussetts south coast cruise 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Mischief Managed II
Vessel Make
1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
We are planning to spend the last two weeks of July 2022 cruising around Cape Cod, Buzzards Bay, and Narragansett Bay. One goal is to use a mooring in Battleship Cove and spend a day or two aboard the antique warships. We will likely have a couple of other boats from our marina tagging along but it won't be an organized event and there won't be a schedule. We don't plan to use any transient slips and will anchor most of the time.

Sounds fun. We have done battleship a few times. Kickumuit is good anchorage not far from there which is great place to hang out for a day or 2. Also consider picking up a mooring in Bristol. Cool place to hang out.

This is our home waters cruising grounds. So many cool little towns/harbors in Naragansett Bay. Check out both East and West passage towns. Like going to Potters Cove from Bristol. Wickford, East Greenwich, port Judith, and of course Newport are all worth a stop. Block is a PIA and grossly over rated imho. Need work go to Melville. Hinckley is better for service then NEB imho. Have a great time.

Agree with all but avoid Potters on a weekend in July unless you want to deal with a huge party scene. Weekdays are great

That's the beginning of Hurricane season. There are 2 hurricane barriers in the area. Don't get stuck on the wrong side of them if something is coming your way!!

That's the beginning of Hurricane season. There are 2 hurricane barriers in the area. Don't get stuck on the wrong side of them if something is coming your way!!

If a hurricane is coming, I'll be headed north long before it arrives.

Onset is a great overnight stop or just to get fuel. Than you have South Dartmouth, the New Bedford Yacht Club another great overnight stop.

Red Brook Harbor has Bassetts Island for swimming and BBQs. Plus Kingmen Marina is right there and the Chart Room has great food and drinks. You can anchor off of Bessetts or grab a mooring from Kingmen. Very well protected.

Onset is a great overnight stop or just to get fuel.

We love anchoring in Onset and have done so quite a few times now. Coincidentally, I texted one of my boating friends this morning about how convenient Onset is as an anchorage and a fuel stop.

Third Beach in Middleton is a nice anchorage. Nice base for a slow journey up to Tiverton.
Behind Dutch Island is a small anchorage, holding isn't the best, but there are moorings available. Town dinghy dock and a long walk to Jamestown restaurants.

Mischief we have sailed (and still do in summer) those waters for 30 years. We have a mooring in Marion that may be vacant (we should be in the islands) and/or you can be my guest at the Beverly Yacht Club. PM me and let me know what works.

Mischief we have sailed (and still do in summer) those waters for 30 years. We have a mooring in Marion that may be vacant (we should be in the islands) and/or you can be my guest at the Beverly Yacht Club. PM me and let me know what works.

Great Club!

Fogland is a also a nice quite anchorage when heading up the Tiverton river. Sheltered from southerly and easterly breezes.

Random thoughts
If you go into New Bedford yacht club check out the restaurant. It’s usually pretty good. If prevailings are SWerlies (often are) instead of going all the way in to Marion anchor off the beach to port at the approach. Good holding and quiet. There’s no fuel anywhere in Bristol. Definitely take time to go to the museum in Bristol. They also have moorings and a excellent dinghy dock. Although I don’t like the marina Cove Haven in Barrington has Valvtect. Lots of turnover so fuel there is good. The walk over the hill from Dutch is fairly short and pleasant. Good grocery on the right near top of the hill half way to Jamestown.food stack in Dutch is decent. In Jamestown multiple places to rent bikes. If you don’t have and want to kayak good rentals in Wickford. We’re going to be in Prime in East Greenwich getting flooring installed ~ first two weeks of June. PM if you need help or want to buddyboat. Prefer Prime to any of the local safe harbor marinas. Nice park/beach just opposite. Short run by dinghy or just anchor there in ~12’ at low. There’s excellent holding on the approach to Onset to port before the first buoy. If timing the CC canal usually anchor there and don’t bother going in.

Last edited:
Bristol fuel

The Bristol RI harbormasters office just finished installing a brand new fuel dock with gas and diesel, so now there is in fact fuel in Bristol.

Good news on the fuel dock in Bristol. We grab a mooring at the YC a couple times a year. Access to their amenities and a short walk to Colt State park and town.

Yes to Fogland too. We have also anchored frequently between Prudence and Patience island. There are some rocks you need to watch for but it it pretty sheltered and quiet, plus a fertile ground for quahogs. You get some wakes from boat traffic during the day but it’s nice at night.

Hurricanes up there are rare, and far between... Wx forcasting gives a weeks notice at least... Nobody is going to get stuck behind a hurricane barrier,,,unless they want to

I will second anchoring between Prudence and Patience. Good depth and holding. That is our go to day anchorage when our grandson is aboard.

Thanks for all the replies. Wife and I took a drive down to RI for the weekend and checked out many ports that we've never been to in Narragansett Bay. What genius put the towns of Kingston and Kingstown next to each other? Or are they the same place? It was very confusing when we went to the wrong hotel...

Try these…..

Free mooring at Hadleys Harbour north of Woods Hole. Vineyard Haven lagoon. Pass under the Lagoon Bridge and anchor anywhere inside. Dingy back under and tie up at the ferry dingy dock. You will love it!

Ahhh.. but Newport... Newport! You've got to spend some time there! Plenty of anchorages and dinghy docks... amazing sailing and motor yachts... great restaurants... colonial homes in The Point.. Mansions... don't miss it!

We have a mooring in Potter Cove, PC043, your welcome to use. I would need to add you to the Portsmouth harbor master’s guest list.

Location pic attached.

Attachments

• PotterCovePC043.jpg
    PotterCovePC043.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 27
Free mooring at Hadleys Harbour north of Woods Hole. Vineyard Haven lagoon. Pass under the Lagoon Bridge and anchor anywhere inside. Dingy back under and tie up at the ferry dingy dock. You will love it!

We have anchored in Vineyard Haven Lagoon twice, and we did love it!

Ahhh.. but Newport... Newport! You've got to spend some time there! Plenty of anchorages and dinghy docks... amazing sailing and motor yachts... great restaurants... colonial homes in The Point.. Mansions... don't miss it!

We have been to Newport a few times, it is wonderful, but we'll probably skip it on this trip so we can see somewhere new.

Contingensea I see your beautiful boat at Potters frequently. Will swing by this summer. We are part of the Coast Guard aux so am able to use them plus have another available.

Again to all it is very crowded and noisy on weekends at Potters. Mid week is great though.

If you're skipping Newport but are willing to travel about 15 miles north on Narragansett Bay, consider stopping in Bristol RI. It's a beautiful, historic, walkable seaport town. Lots of fun restaurants, a few local breweries, and the wonderful Herreshoff Marine Museum. You can either anchor or pick up a mooring in either Bristol Harbor or the Bristol Yacht Club, or try for a slip at Bristol Marina.

The next town to the north, Warren, is a bit smaller but has even better restaurants. Consider Square Peg, Bywater, Revival, and the Isle Brewer's Guild. The original Dyer Boat Works (The Anchorage) is along the waterfront and still in business and family owned for over 90 years.

Just be cautious in Rhode Island. It currently has the highest rate of new COVID infections of any state in the country.

Dutch Harbor is also a nice area as you can walk into Jamestown. I agree on Bristol and grab a mooring at the yc a few times a year. Close to town and Colt State park

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom