Old 08-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: NYC
Vessel Name: How Sweet It Is
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
icw guide

heading south in october. anyone have a recommendation for a good intracoastal state by state guide book for ny to florida? thanks.
ralphcramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you're looking for a book for navigation and Anchorage proposes, you will be better off getting more up to date information from online sources such as Active Captain and Waterway guides websites.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you're looking for a book for navigation and Anchorage proposes, you will be better off getting more up to date information from online sources such as Active Captain and Waterway guides websites.

Ted

Paper cruising guides have just about gone away. Some classics like the Chesapeake magazine's guide or Rintraub's Maine guide are still useful for local non boating info. And the Waterway published guides gives you a lot of info in one place.

But generally I use Active Captain. I sure wish they would get it back to its former functionality though.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I use the online Waterway Guide. However I also have the large Maptech charts by my helm at all times and track where I am. The guides only have small charts of the areas of interest, not in between.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
icw guide

Waterway Guide
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
The Waterway Guide Atlantic ICW book is a great companion and in many ways more convenient when underway than on-line resources. Ditto Chesapeake Magazine's book.
If you need something to get you to the Chesapeake, then the WG Northern guide is in order. The books are great for getting a flavor of what's around you, towns, etc. If you read through those, then you can come to forums like this for opinions and in many cases good recent local knowledge.

I also ditto the chartbooks. Looks like the Kettlewell ICW chartbooks, which were Ann's favorite tool, haven't been updated in a long time.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
When we brought our boat down from Rhode Island to southwest Florida last fall we relied on Active Captain the most, WaterWay guide second, and the great book of anchorages third.

I thought the WaterWay guide was great for bridges and locks.
jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
+3 on Waterway Guide. Lots of info
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Moved thread from "Mainship" to "Cruising and Events - East Coast"
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
On our AICW trip from Annapolis to Marco Island, FL, we relied on: 1) the Active Captain overlay on Garmin Bluechart Mobile,
2) Our Raymarine Chart plotter, and 3) An AICW chart book of smallish pages, spiral bound.

Unfortunately, Garmin has discontinued their Bluechart Mobile app. I suppose that they wanted to eliminate a low-cost alternative to their full MFD's. I'm currently looking for a good substitute, but it must be Active Captain capable.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Bob423, who is also on the staff of the waterway guide as the ICW expert, has published an ICW guide available on Amazon. My wife and I have found that this in conjunction with ActiveCaptain is the most useful guide we have yet found on our numerous trips up and down the ICW. Bob is also One of the most frequent and accurate posters on ActiveCaptain for the ICW portion. If you go to his website you can find routes through some of the most shallow areas and download them to your chart plotter. If you do this you need only follow the route he has posted to get through. Bob lives in Poughkeepsie and can guide you all the way to the Keys.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I use the Waterway Guide online. However for the current trip I started using a guide the PO left on board. I really love the mile by mile narrative in this guide as well as the overviews. Whereas the Waterway Guide only covers major stops and inlets, this covers the whole thing.

This copy is dated so will probably be an upcoming birthday or Christmas list item!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180816_130253734-756x1008a.jpg   IMG_20180816_130345519-756x1008a.jpg   IMG_20180816_130336187-756x1008a.jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #13

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I like the Waterway Guide, but the first of my 30 plus trips north and south started before the internet was available. I like to be able to read the book in advance, like the night before or the week before to refresh my memory of the trouble spots. (like at every place on the ICW where the ocean meets the waterway!)
I also keep my paper charts at the helm with written notes about bridge heights (in letters big enough to read easily, and the bridge opening restrictions on the chart rather than in a book. I also mark known shallow spots and no wake zones on the paper charts. I will use a moveable pointer on the chart such as dividers or a screwdriver etc., to mark my progress every so often so I can see where I am. I often have the GPS range in close so the paper chart gives me more of an overall view.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
I have found the Skipper Bob guides to be pretty useful. Whatever you get, these people are great to deal with... www.bluewaterweb.com
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #15

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I will use a moveable pointer on the chart such as dividers or a screwdriver etc., to mark my progress every so often so I can see where I am.
Learned this from an "old salt" during my 1st trip, in 1990, down the AICW, using paper charts:

Use a small piece of masking tape (1" x 1/2"?) marked with a hand-drawn arrow to continuously mark your position on the paper chart. Works like a charm!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
On our AICW trip from Annapolis to Marco Island, FL, we relied on: 1) the Active Captain overlay on Garmin Bluechart Mobile,
2) Our Raymarine Chart plotter, and 3) An AICW chart book of smallish pages, spiral bound.

Unfortunately, Garmin has discontinued their Bluechart Mobile app. I suppose that they wanted to eliminate a low-cost alternative to their full MFD's. I'm currently looking for a good substitute, but it must be Active Captain capable.

Now in our 12th yr. of ICW travel, we almost exclusively use AC. The new AquaMap app is a great replacement for Garmin BCM, I like it better than Garmin, my wife, not so much. But it has all the data. Our SOP is to do all the nav work and boat driving, AP interface from the ship's computer running Coastal Explorer, and the commentary or local information from the iPad, or phone. Phone is a bit tiny, but it's very handy for calling ahead since the phone numbers are right in the data. We also use SSECN for fuel prices and trouble spot updates, since their reports are vetted.

AC is not without faults, but one learns to sift out the meaningless "magenta line" comments, comments warning of shoaling out of the channel, missing markers, and other stuff that's just so much clutter. Many of the new ENC charts no longer show the line.
I concur, paper ICW guidebooks are essentially out of date by the time you get them in you hands. Akin to the newspaper.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The best thing about the magenta line is in spots where it would be easy to miss a turn....as many first timers and even more experienced skipper sometimes do.

Not so much for best water.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
I concur, paper ICW guidebooks are essentially out of date by the time you get them in you hands.

How so?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
How so?

Time from gathering, compiling info, sending to publisher, distribution, sitting on retailer's shelf. How current can it be?

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
Time from gathering, compiling info, sending to publisher, distribution, sitting on retailer's shelf. How current can it be?

How current does it need to be? In regards to the sights, sounds, anchorage, and dockage in and around the coastal towns and attractions along the ICW, very little changes from year to year. At least that is the case in NC. For that matter, other than where the inlets cross the ICW, very little had changed there either. Yes, there are always exceptions (the channels behind Morehead City comes to mind at the moment), however, much of the problem areas have been problem areas for many, many years and are usually mentioned in the guides.

The internet certainly has its place in this discussion for sure, but don't rule out hard publications as a guide option just because it wasn't current yesterday. In fact, I will almost always take the advice from a guide book over 90% of the junk on AC. At least the author(s) and publisher(s) have a great deal of credibility on the line. Selling books is not like operating a website. Some schmuck that can't stay in the middle of a channel and decides to put a warning on AC like he is some sort of expert scares me. As should someone that has a single bad experience at a restaurant decides to trash it on social media as the worst place ever. Current does not always mean correct.