Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Well this sucks!

Last year I spent a few days going one on one on the hook with Irene in Deltaville, VA. Now after a summer and fall of incredible cruising in Maine my family is now in the cross hairs of Frankinstorm!! We are in Northport, NY waiting to see what unfolds. We will be on the hook with an 18-1 scope of all chain rode and our trusty Danforth buried deep in the mud. To all those in harms way I wish you the best and know that we are with you.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Good luck, Daddyo and crew. I remember well following your adventure in anchoring during Irene. Hope the Danforth doesn't let you down. Be sure to let us know you are OK.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Hold on tight Daddyo! Stay Safe!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Daddyo, fear not and good luck!

I recommend to stay alert and assertive/assistive in actions before and during a big storm; remain in the lee much as possible. Big item is to notice who/what may be up wind form you that might break loose to cause mid-storm havoc. Mid 60’s we survived a hurricane by carefully anchoring in Dering Harbor with a convertible / raised deck / FB 38’ sport fisher hung on a big ol’ Danforth. Plenty of scope let out. Through midpoint of night we had engine running for forward push assistance so gusts would not break anchor loose and start it into a drag (altering wind velocity throughout the storm - 95 + mph at its top speed, right around midnight). I believe in Danforth’s dual fluke design... Carry four (4) sizes of Danforth design on our Tolly today. 35 lb for general anchor out. 65 lb for a big blow. 45 lb if for any reason an intermediate sized spare becomes needed. Good sized flukes but very light weight aluminum model for a stern anchor when desired/required in good weather conditions. Some think me crazy/paranoid for carrying so many good anchors aboard. Could say: “This ain’t my first day on the water”; I call it being VERY prepared and therefore safe for ANY needs that may suddenly prevail. Also, I carry rode aboard to handle all anchoring requirements.

Get it on Daddyo, weather dat storm!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Trenton
Back at the turn of the century, Angelina sat out hurricane Floyd at her mooring in Dredge Harbor. She had twin 3/4" mooring lines with leather chafe gear. Dredge Harbor is very protected but still it's a harbor. She made it through the actual storm and then lost one of her mooring lines (3/4" with leather chafe protection!) on the wind that followed the actual hurricane.

This time she is up on land covered in shrink wrap behind a lot of buildings away from the harbor. Hope she'll be as lucky.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
One of the contemplating plans we HAD was to leave NL some year about the end of September and head to Florida or Gulf of Mexico for the winter returning in the spring. I am now thinking that would be crazy given the number of storms that we would have to dodge. I do believe we will continue placing the boat on the hard during the winter and if we ever decide to head to Florida, it will be with the 5-wheel staying inland as much as I can.

Elwin
Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
One of the contemplating plans we HAD was to leave NL some year about the end of September and head to Florida or Gulf of Mexico for the winter returning in the spring. I am now thinking that would be crazy given the number of storms that we would have to dodge.
Elwin
----------------------------------
Why don't you do the ICW in reverse. Through the St. Lawrence to Chicago and South to the Gulf. Now that would be a hell of a trip!!

http://www.captainjohn.org/GL-2-Intro.html

Larry B
Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Ya thought about that too Larry.. may have to do some more thinking / planning about it.

Elwin
Old 10-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
Hoping for the best for you! Stay safe!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Daddyo, is all chain a good idea? I always thought the rope took more of the shock load. Maybe chain to a tire and chain to the boat, leaving the chain a shock absorber so to speak. Good luck brotha!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Thanks guys! We are using two 3/4" triple braided lines attached to the snubber for shock absorbtion. The good thing about this boat is due to her low windage and heavy weight she doesn't sail very much in the big blows. We have a 15-1 scope with the Danforth buried in grey mud.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Last year I spent a few days going one on one on the hook with Irene in Deltaville, VA. Now after a summer and fall of incredible cruising in Maine my family is now in the cross hairs of Frankinstorm!! We are in Northport, NY waiting to see what unfolds. We will be on the hook with an 18-1 scope of all chain rode and our trusty Danforth buried deep in the mud. To all those in harms way I wish you the best and know that we are with you.
If you and your family plan on staying on board during a hurricane, I suggest rethinking that. If you lose your boat, you can replace it. Not so if you lose your life.

Leave the boat, stay in a hotel or a shelter.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Our weather guy just said there's a possibility of 12+ foot storm surge in Long Island Sound and, "could be a devastating event for NYC."

My friend... GET THE F*CK OUT OF THERE!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
If there's anyway to leave the boat and get to a hotel, do it. The forecast Tom and I were watching had the worst of the surge coming right to you.

Be safe, take all necessary precautions. We all want to hear from you when it's all over.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
This thread makes me more appreciative of the Wet Coast. Our only worries are dodging the occasional tsunami - like last night. Be well guys - I can completely understand wanting to be onboard to deal with whatever disaster arises. The naysayers will claim you are potentially putting 1st responders lives at risk - to me it seems like you are living your life to the max. Good luck for the next couple of nights.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
This thread makes me more appreciative of the Wet Coast. Our only worries are dodging the occasional tsunami - like last night. Be well guys - I can completely understand wanting to be onboard to deal with whatever disaster arises. The naysayers will claim you are potentially putting 1st responders lives at risk - to me it seems like you are living your life to the max. Good luck for the next couple of nights.
Ditto
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Daddyo, the advice to get off the boat is good. You've done all you can to secure her. If something goes wrong at the height of the flow or blow, you won't be able to really do anything positive anyway. So best get to a safe place on land, and make sure the insurance is all kosher...
Boats can handle a lot of ill treatment and still be repairable anyway, the people in them, not always so much.
All the best anyway.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Daddyo, There's probably no one on the forum with more experience riding out hurricanes than you! I remember following your adventure last year and hope your experiences this year are as successful as 2011.

Please keep us posted if possible. Hang in there, be safe and Godspeed!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #19

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
This sucks too:
Hurricane Sandy forces HMS Bounty evacuation

Update:

The crew is safe and accounted for. They have abandoned ship. They are in their sea survival suits and in a life boat. A Coast Guard cutter is racing to pick them up.
The coast guard plane has heat sensing ability and has scanned the Bounty for any people on it...There is no one one on the ship.
Again...ALL the crew is safe and in a lifeboat.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Hurricane Sandy forces HMS Bounty evacuation - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Closed Thread