Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #101
Scraping Paint

City: -
Having directed a film shoot with the Lady Washington I can tell you that it takes a BIG crew to sail one of these ships effectively.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #102
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
yes but a single handler or a couple can move a boat that takes 10 or so to race...you just have to have it rigged properly for short handing and be careful...and know the new limitations.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
yes but a single handler or a couple can move a boat that takes 10 or so to race...you just have to have it rigged properly for short handing and be careful...and know the new limitations.
is it possible to rig a square rigger to be short handled???? This ship aint no race yatch u know
Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #104
Guru

According to an interview with a survivor, she was under power (twin 375 John Deeres).
Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
According to an interview with a survivor, she was under power (twin 375 John Deeres).
under powered is what he may have meant. according to the captain she was grossly under powered and he only liked to use the engines in harbours

if she was under power it may have been a last ditch attemp to save the ship
Old 11-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
is it possible to rig a square rigger to be short handled???? This ship aint no race yatch u know
yes... and I know....
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
yes... and I know....
sorry, didnt mean to be sarcastic
Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
This particular horse may have already been beaten enough, but the following quote from a story in the New York Times this morning is kind of interesting:

"Dan Moreland, the captain of another tall ship, the Picton Castle, told The Chronicle Herald of Nova Scotia that the approaching storm had persuaded him not to set sail. “It’s a huge system, and that made the decision very simple,” he said. Captain Moreland also said that while he knew Captain Walbridge to be an experienced seaman, he was shocked by his decision to sail. “Yes, I have to say yes, I can’t say anything else,” he said. “When I first heard the Bounty was out there, I thought, ‘You’ve got to be kidding.’ ”

John
Old 11-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #109

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
I posted this on another thread and many of you have probably seen this, but it seems fitting here:

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #110

City: Daytona Beach
In answer to the question ,"does the Navy send ships to sea during hurricanes?'' the answer is yes. I was stationed aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Midway, CVA-41 in the fall of 1954 which at time was Navy's largest ship . I don't remember which hurricane it was, there were three that hit the east coast that fall, but we were in Norfolk at the time, and were sent out along with several distroyers. I was a 21year old white hat , and frankly it was exciting for me, but unfortunately it was tragic for others. According to the Midway's history, which I just read on the internet, the ship was nose heavy, and while plowing through a large wave, or swell the forward gun turret was ripped loose - I later heard that it went flying down the flight deck and off the fantail, part of the flight deck was rolled back, and two young officers whoes quarters were under the forward flight deck were killed. None of this was mentioned in the internet history, nor was the the loss of 18 men and twenty-eight aircraft that occured on the Med cruise that we had recently returned from. We buried two at sea.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #111
Guru

Anyone trying to compare going to sea in a Navy vessel compared to a small recreational vessel or even the Bounty is really trying to stretch it.

I see Rick's point that not everyone on a Navy ship has even the remotest of navigation, weather, ship handling or even command experience that many recreational and small commercial skippers have.... but they are serving as seaman in an honorable service...(even though not all of them are perfect...)
Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #112
Guru

City: Pensacola
I think my experience is apples to apples.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #113
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
I see Rick's point that not everyone on a Navy ship has even the remotest of navigation, weather, ship handling or even command experience that many recreational and small commercial skippers have.... but they are serving as seaman in an honorable service...(even though not all of them are perfect...)
On a TV show a sailor was interviewed and asked if he liked the Navy. He hated it. His job consisted mostly of cleaning urinals and toilets.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
On a TV show a sailor was interviewed and asked if he liked the Navy. He hated it. His job consisted mostly of cleaning urinals and toilets.
Sounds like my job on my boat...

at least I get to decide whether I replace the plastic on my mast stays...
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #115
Guru

hey you guys, anit nuttin to get upset about. I'm sure no disrespect was meant by anyone. The Bounty traggidy is close to all of our hearts because we all love the sea wether we be navy professionals, merchant marine, commercial fishermen or just weekend or retired pleasure boaters.
So stop the bickering or I'm gonna have belly up to the plate and put you both in your place!!! GRRRRR.......
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #116
Guru

Psneeld, my last job in the navy was in charge of the AW school house and Aircrew Division. I flew many hours enlisted in helo's and ended up commissioned. So your son may yet become familiar with rules of the road. I wish him success as I know the path he is on. Don't be surprised if he makes it a profession.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
hey you guys, anit nuttin to get upset about. I'm sure no disrespect was meant by anyone. The Bounty traggidy is close to all of our hearts because we all love the sea wether we be navy professionals, merchant marine, commercial fishermen or just weekend or retired pleasure boaters.
So stop the bickering or I'm gonna have belly up to the plate and put you both in your place!!! GRRRRR.......
With that kinda talk...sounds like you should have been on the Bounty...matey...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Psneeld, my last job in the navy was in charge of the AW school house and Aircrew Division. I flew many hours enlisted in helo's and ended up commissioned. So your son may yet become familiar with rules of the road. I wish him success as I know the path he is on. Don't be surprised if he makes it a profession.
Thanks...I'm not sure...but he is now 3rd generation helo crew....something I'm proud of.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #119
Guru

And with that, I will drink to you and his service. Cheers
Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #120
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
The captain is lost... the ship is lost....and so it will be up to the many lawyers, insurance companies, and others with financial interests in the Bounty to assign culpability. ... another tragedy of our legal system. Once the body is dead, the hyenas will fight over the carcass.
Closed Thread