The Great Loop info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john-o

Veteran Member
The forum and organization that supports the Great Loop does a nice job of breaking down points of interests and data. Specifically, specifications for bridge clearances.. in general.... particulars along the way. The same holds true for draft depth.
As I searched other sites, one caught my eye with.. Good Boats for the Great loop.
As I read the author's choices, one stuck out as a real beauty. The Hampton 590. Amazing craft to travel the Loop in style.
But hold on. The bridge clearance for that craft is 18'7" and the draft is 5'2".
Now here's the confusing part for me.
The Erie Canal is PART OF the Great Loop. Right?
- On the Looper's web page by Capt. Chris, "the maximum overhead clearance that limits the height of your boat above the water is 19’ 6”, and that's an entire Loop MUST. A boat can get around this clearance thing by avoiding the Chicago Canal.
Yet, he goes on the stat that the Erie Canal lowest clearance for the going the Westward part is 15 feet 6 inches. Also, he states that There are two 15’ 6” fixed bridges on the Erie Canal just beyond the Three-Rivers Junction to the Oswego Canal. The Oswego Canal has a 21’ vertical clearance and this is your route to Lake Ontario and on to Canada.
So, no matter where your boat goes on the Erie, 15'6" clearance is a must.
This is the part that throws me.
Now I realize this information is useful, and there's no debating it.
However, I'm glad I'm not a boat owner planning a trip on the Great Loop and just flipping through the pages of.. " The Best Boats for the Great Loop," and the article ends like that.
Also, Capt. Chris has some real nifty suggestions and ideas for cruising. So I guess the guy knows what he's talking about.
With respect to boat drafts, 4 feet or less is very desirable, although 5 foot draft can be good to go, but worrisome. Cruising with different routes with 5 foot plus drafts can be made, but with some stipulations.
All in all, I found that doing one's homework, with as many sources as possible before casting off, is the way to go. Good sources like this forum.

The Erie Canal is not the only way to the Great Lakes from the Atlantic: St Lawrence Seaway?

The 15' 6" fixed bridge is after the Oswego canal. So you can go across the Erie canal to the Oswego canal and then go North to Lake Ontario.

Did the Loop in 2017 with a 4' 6" draft without issue. 6' draft is doable as long as you aren't doing the Trent Severn canal in Canada.

Ted

Yes, the eastern end of the Erie Canal doesn’t have the 15’6” clearance. So you go on the Erie to the Oswego and then cross Lake Ontario. You can do the TSW with a draft up to 6’. However if you draft more than 5’ you have to sign a damage waiver.

Woodland Hills and O C Diver, thank you. I'm sure there are details that I missed, so your comments are really appreciated.
My wife and I are trying to plan on such a trip with the Loop. Not in the Hampton. Our pockets are not that deep. We're both retired. We have to be careful not to get a boat beyond our means, seeing that we're in our mid 70's, I lost part of my sight in one eye when I came out of the service, and a good nap around noon is a staple. But the Loop seems more about the journey than the destination. We'd both like to stop along the way, sight see, make new friends, and just enjoy our Autumn years together, just the two of us. We were looking at a Sea Ray, but it was a monster if only one of us was able to pilot it. Our neighbor has a beautiful sailboat, a 40 foot, I think. But with all the lines and rope, with my luck, I'd end up dangling from that yardarm (whatever that means). Now here was a reality check.... most people who take on the Great Loop, say it takes them about a 9 - 11 months to do it, complete. Being cooped up in a 25 - 30 foot boat for that length of time with the Mrs., and that yardarm thing gets clearer and clearer. Any who, we're working on it.

Last edited:
Your not trapped in the boat. Most days I got off the boat to sightsee. Think of the boat as an RV. It's accommodations and transportation. Doing the Loop is about what you see and what you experience, not how fast you do the Loop.

Ted

To clarify about chicago- since I live here...

There is a fixed bridge that NO MATTER which way you go- it at 19’6” thereabouts due to pool so it varied a little. If you are between 17’ and 19’6” you go the Calumet as the bascule bridges would have to lift for you- and that’s only done 2x a week during boating season only now. Saturday and Wednesday mornings http://chicagoloopbridges.com/schedule.html

O C Diver - You're absolutely right! We both read your comments and ... you're right. Getting off and visiting is the thing to do. Of course, going those long distances where there is nothing but woods, rocks and open shoreline has it's advantages. For whatever reason(s) this Great Loop thing is something that doesn't look like it's all that demanding - seamanship wise. Others have done it, at the right time of the year, planning and getting as much advice and help along the way BEFORE shoving off. We're not looking to tackle things beyond our ability, nor am I and the Mrs. trying to prove anything. It's just that his part of our country is amazing, and being retired, and an over the road driver of 18 wheelers, this trip would be a chance to see another part of this country.
Both of us continue to read and re-read postings here and I can't begin to thank the editors and contributors enough for all the valuable information provided, just for the asking. Also, going on YouTube and watching others and how they enjoyed the trip, is just icing on the cake.
Gmarr - Thank you. We watched a couple of episodes on that subject, and your comments cleared up some guessing on our part.

Woodland Hills and O C Diver, thank you. I'm sure there are details that I missed, so your comments are really appreciated.
My wife and I are trying to plan on such a trip with the Loop. Not in the Hampton. Our pockets are not that deep. We're both retired. We have to be careful not to get a boat beyond our means, seeing that we're in our mid 70's, I lost part of my sight in one eye when I came out of the service, and a good nap around noon is a staple. But the Loop seems more about the journey than the destination. We'd both like to stop along the way, sight see, make new friends, and just enjoy our Autumn years together, just the two of us. We were looking at a Sea Ray, but it was a monster if only one of us was able to pilot it. Our neighbor has a beautiful sailboat, a 40 foot, I think. But with all the lines and rope, with my luck, I'd end up dangling from that yardarm (whatever that means). Now here was a reality check.... most people who take on the Great Loop, say it takes them about a 9 - 11 months to do it, complete. Being cooped up in a 25 - 30 foot boat for that length of time with the Mrs., and that yardarm thing gets clearer and clearer. Any who, we're working on it.
If you see your self as already being "cooped up" on a 30-foot boat you have already answered one question. You need a boat larger than 30 feet. How much larger is still an open question the answer to which will ultimately be dictated by the size of your wallet. As for that sailboat, yes, some folks loop on sailboats but I will hazard a guess that the number is 5%, maybe more, maybe less. If you choose a sailboat for the Loop, you will have to step the mast and rig it on deck to carry it with you or have it shipped to Mobile to have in unstepped when you arrive there. Not cheap. You could probably pay for a good portion of the fuel for doing the entire Loop in a motor boat never mind the hassle of the mast thing. Plus, say for example, a 36-foot trawler like a Monk 36 will likely have more space than any 40-foot sailboat. Also, that neighbor's sailboat, how protected from bad weather is the cockpit?

catalinajack - You're spot on with everything you mentioned. In fact, we've batted around most of what you posted here. Whatever vessel we decide on, it'll be the one that my Mrs. prefers. The galley and other creature comforts are very important to us at this stage of our life. Besides, this'll be a big investment for us and we want it to be both a place to live for an extended period of time - prolonged inclement weather, cruising delays, and things like that, and manageable in the event only one of us will captain. I realize that many things can change our opinions and wants, based on our search, but in the end, we work pretty good as a team. Also, I've taken my Mrs. on long hauls cross country and through the lower 48, and we lived out of Kenworth W900 Studio Sleeper, and literally took in just about every mom-n-pop dinner that we could. Met some great people and enjoyed the trips.

My experiences in boating....

People make the best of what they have when it comes to galleys, heads, storage, etc.

Two things seem to kill people's enthusiasm for cruising and boting if they aren't extremely well off.

The first is a boat that is hard to maintain and YOU have to do the work.

The other is a boat that is difficult to manage in emergencies and wind up scaring the owners bad enough...they never see themselves being put in that position again.

So in many ways a cruising boat should be thought of as something easy to maintain and keep you safe. It's not about size always, it's not about amenities unless you keep going up in size and systems ($$$$$).

Keep absorbing stories and advice who have been there and done that....focus on what really made some happy...and what really bothered them.

Remember...people who gave it all up quick or had a really horrible experience...they rarely write books or articles about it or even hang around forums, marinas, yacht clubs, etc...etc...to relate what was god and bad.

Last edited:
To all of you that chimed in and brought really good suggestions and facts, my wife and I really want to thank you. Hope to meet some of you folks on the water when we get going.
Again, thank you.
John & Mary Ann Baker

For Erie Canal clearances, the Eastern half and the Oswego Canal both have 21 feet of vertical clearance. The Western half has 15'6". The 19'6" bridge in Chicago is the hard limit for the loop.

Basically, if you can clear 19'6", you can do the loop. If you can clear 15'6", you can go pretty much anywhere on the loop and most of the side trips, rather than having certain routes be off limits. Same thing for draft. Under 5 feet, you can do pretty much anything on the loop. With more than 5 feet, you can do the loop, but certain side trips or routes will be off limits.

My experiences in boating....

People make the best of what they have when it comes to galleys, heads, storage, etc.

Two things seem to kill people's enthusiasm for cruising and boting if they aren't extremely well off.

The first is a boat that is hard to maintain and YOU have to do the work.

The other is a boat that is difficult to manage in emergencies and wind up scaring the owners bad enough...they never see themselves being put in that position again.

So in many ways a cruising boat should be thought of as something easy to maintain and keep you safe. It's not about size always, it's not about amenities unless you keep going up in size and systems ($$$$$).

Keep absorbing stories and advice who have been there and done that....focus on what really made some happy...and what really bothered them.

Remember...people who gave it all up quick or had a really horrible experience...they rarely write books or articles about it or even hang around forums, marinas, yacht clubs, etc...etc...to relate what was god and bad.

PSNEELD - of all the good wisdom and experience you've shared, this is one of the most spot-on posts I've read. A few years ago, my wife and I decided to rekindle the cruising dream. We wondered about a bigger boat than our Willard 36. In so-many words, we landed where you say. Size doesn't matter that much, we both feel safe and secure on the boat, and she absolutely meets our needs, though much of it in a minimalist way. That actually augments our boating experience so it's not a compromise at all. Much the opposite - we find size and home-like baubles a distraction.

I would emphasize one item that is between the lines: cruising dreams are often asymmetric - the husband has the fever, the wife is okay going along. But at some point, she realizes that if something happens to him (heart attack, MOB, injury), she will need to assume Captain responsibilities. Ensuring the spouse has capabilities is not just a safety thing, but will make them a more willing spouse because they are empowered. It's taken a while, but Cheryll has even threatened to do a girls-weekend on our boat.

I was reminded of this a few days ago when I helped a friend move his 2014 Horizon Power Cat to the yard for bottom paint. I've spent 100-hours aboard the boat and I know I could drive it anywhere, but I'm not sure I could even start the thing let alone transfer from Gen to Shore and back. Lot of sequential steps. I wonder if his wife is comfortable - I sure wouldn't be.

Thanks again psneeld - good observations that give good counterpoise to the many who say "gotta have bigger" or "minimum is XXX"

Peter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom