Old 03-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Boulder
Vessel Name: Skipper
Vessel Model: Everglades DC230
Bareboat with my son?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if you have ideas, I'm all ears.

My oldest son graduates college this Spring, so I thought he and I would take a trip together. Maybe diving in Florida, exploring Maine, or... a 3-4 day bareboat charter somewhere. My wife/his mom just started a new job, so it'd just be him and I or maybe my youngest son as well. Late May.

He indicated he'd enjoy exploring the east coast.

Thoughts? I've sail chartered, so I'd lean that way, but open to any ideas. Somewhere to explore and enjoy nature before he goes off to his job (in Idaho).

We are Coloradans, and I'm not too familiar with any of the East Coast, but have spent a few weeks down near Sarasota. That's about it!
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You can charter a trawler from Southwest Florida Yachts. I have never chartered from them but they routinely get good reviews here.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if you have ideas, I'm all ears.

My oldest son graduates college this Spring, so I thought he and I would take a trip together. Maybe diving in Florida, exploring Maine, or... a 3-4 day bareboat charter somewhere. My wife/his mom just started a new job, so it'd just be him and I or maybe my youngest son as well. Late May.

He indicated he'd enjoy exploring the east coast.

Thoughts? I've sail chartered, so I'd lean that way, but open to any ideas. Somewhere to explore and enjoy nature before he goes off to his job (in Idaho).

We are Coloradans, and I'm not too familiar with any of the East Coast, but have spent a few weeks down near Sarasota. That's about it!
You won't get a ton of exploring the East coast in 3/4 days. I would plan longer if you can. Also suggest a sail or motor charter in the BVIs.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #4
Swa

City: Tampa
That's awesome. I love spending time with my son when he comes home as well. (FSU junior yr.) Here is an idea for you just a tad further than the east coast of Florida. Go on google earth and zoom out as far as you can then zoom in enough to fill your screen. Spin the earth and look for the pretty light green color. That color you'll see like no other on earth is the Bahamas.
Swa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Bareboat with my son?

I don’t have any chartering info, but just wanted to say that I spent two weeks in the Bahamas with one of my college age sons two years ago, and it was one of my favorite trips. Great memories.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0JZIcTH-LdE?feature=share
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Father and son charter?
I hope you have a good relationship with your son. In my case, the relationship between my father and mother and myself sucked.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #7

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
I brought my sons on as partners several years ago. Now I have serious business partners and no longer have my sons. I retire soon and hope that I get my sons back and they come on parts of the Loop with me.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Southwest Florida Charters in Sarasota would be nice, but the dream vacation would be the Moorings in the Bahamas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote