Finally Heading South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if it's a hold over from the days when boats had AM comms radios before VHF radios became more common.

I'm seeing a lot of boats only with satellite radios today although most still have AM/FM, but it's far from 100% now.

I can't recall the last time we listened to a radio on a boat.

You're maybe looking at a whole 'nuther class of boat, unless you just mean SIRIUS or similar. :)

I'd bet I could go through our marina and find 99% of the non-charter boats would likely have a AM/FM/maybe CD/maybe MP3 player/maybe SIRIUS stereos installed...

And probably 50% of the charter fishboats, too.

That's not to say folks actually listen to AM or FM much; more likely, MP3 players or even their own CDs.

-Chris

Man, I don't remember the last time I listened to AM or FM. Sylphide doesn't have either, or Satellite for that matter. Thanks for posting that number! Last time I tried to get ahold of anyone at the base, I had no luck.

The tropical storm went by Mile Hammock last night with 30+ knot winds. Couple of sailboats broke loose with one hitting another in the middle of the night. Another reason not to short scope, but what do I know. Managed to escape unscathed.

On a brighter note, filled the boat up today.

20201113_072458.jpg

Anchor in my favorite creek in Southport, NC. Dinner was at Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop house. Food was awesome as usual.

Ted

The tropical storm went by Mile Hammock last night with 30+ knot winds. Couple of sailboats broke loose with one hitting another in the middle of the night. Another reason not to short scope, but what do I know. Managed to escape unscathed.

View attachment 110041

Anchor in my favorite creek in Southport, NC. Dinner was at Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop house. Food was awesome as usual.

Ted

Nice, what was their diesel price?

On Sunday looks like I have a choice of $2:55 a gallon stopping at Palm Cove Marina on my way south or getting it at the transient dock in Palm Coast at $2.64. Will probably get at Palm Coast just because easier.

Last edited:
Man, I don't remember the last time I listened to AM or FM. Sylphide doesn't have either, or Satellite for that matter. Thanks for posting that number! Last time I tried to get ahold of anyone at the base, I had no luck.

We use an Amazon Echo at home and a Google Home on the boat. Will probably take the Echo on our upcoming trip as it connects better, has a better speaker and has more capability.

Ted

Joseph's is at my home marina, South Harbor Village. One of our favorites for dinner and Rusty Hooks is also excellent. Our dock was wiped out along with the transient dock by Isaias in early August so we've moved down to Myrtle Beach until repairs are completed.

View attachment 110041

Ted
Had the same experience last spring in Mile Hammock. Straight line storm rolls in 30 plus. Two guy in a boat that anchored for their first time. They anchor to close. The storm comes they drag, it is pitch black out. He powers up and drives to prevent collision, his anchor is still down. He grabs my anchor chain and starts moving me. On the radio telling him every time he pulls us. Another guy on the radio telling him to sit still the storm will pass in minutes and that his anchor brand sucks. Somehow he gets off my chain and flys around the basin until the winds stop. I had engines on and torpedoes in tubes one and two. What an experience. BTW my Rocna 25 never budged. Even with him pulling around by my chain.

Last edited:
Had the same experience last spring in Mile Hammock. Straight line storm rolls in 30 plus. Two guy in a boat that anchored for their first time. They anchor to close. The storm comes they drag, it is pitch black out. He powers up and drives to prevent collision, his anchor is still down. He grabs my anchor chain and starts moving me. On the radio telling him every time he pulls us. Another guy on the radio telling him to sit still the storm will pass in minutes and that his anchor brand sucks. Somehow he gets off my chain and flys around the basin until the winds stop. I had engines on and torpedoes in tubes one and two. What an experience. BTW my Rocna 25 never budged. Even with him pulling around by my chain.

I think he was just yanking your chain! :D

AM radio. Reminds me of a voyage a friend took... Across Lake Superior. North Shore of Minnesota to Bayfield, WI. He pulled into the fuel dock and the attendant, a good friend of mine, chatted with the skipper. This was a 21' Checkmate. Single big block. "So, where'd ya' come out of? ( We ar Midwesterners and end our sentences in prepositions.) Skip says "Two Harbors," "Wow, that's a long ways." "Yeah, I needed the gas to get back." " Today? Do you have a chart?" " Yeah, I got this place mat map of the Lake, it's laminated." "Well, do you at least have a radio???"

Can you see where this is going???

Skip says, "Yeah, I got my AM/FM Cassette right here!"

Sounds like Captain Ron but it turns out I know the Skipper and he indepentantly confirmed the story! And was proud of it!!!

Nice, what was their diesel price?

On Sunday looks like I have a choice of $2:55 a gallon stopping at Palm Cove Marina on my way south or getting it at the transient dock in Palm Coast at $2.64. Will probably get at Palm Coast just because easier.

Did you not see the price in the picture? In all fairness, the price is without tax. Total price is $1.58 per gallon.

Ted

Did you not see the price in the picture? In all fairness, the price is without tax. Total price is $1.58 per gallon.

Ted

You mean the sign that says Non Ethanol Gas?

Joseph's is at my home marina, South Harbor Village. One of our favorites for dinner and Rusty Hooks is also excellent. Our dock was wiped out along with the transient dock by Isaias in early August so we've moved down to Myrtle Beach until repairs are completed.

Yes, have stayed at South Harbor a number of times. Now I tend to anchor in the waterway just east of the marina, and just dinghy over for dinner.

Ted

Won't go into all the details, but around 11 pm Thursday night the second boat pulled free again (yes again) and sailed past me hitting the first boat that pulled free and reanchored almost next to me. The bang was so loud and close, I thought that he had it me. The force pulled the other boat's anchor free, again. To quote Sebastian the crab from "The little Mermaid ", "My god, I'm surrounded by amateurs".

Ted

So off road fuel is diesel?

Jaysus, who knew.

Yes. Sometimes referred to as “red-dyed diesel”. Should the authorities check your fuel while traveling down the road, and you have red dye in your diesel, you’ll be handed a fine! No tax is added to red-dyed-diesel. Follow the dollars...

The penalty is $25,000 although enforcement is confined to big-rig truckers and the occasional unlucky pick-up truck driver. Dyed diesel is diesel fuel with dye added in case anyone is wondering.
Yes. Sometimes referred to as “red-dyed diesel”. Should the authorities check your fuel while traveling down the road, and you have red dye in your diesel, you’ll be handed a fine! No tax is added to red-dyed-diesel. Follow the dollars...

So off road fuel is diesel?

Jaysus, who knew.

Probably not a gentleman or the suburbs such as yourself. Some of the categories that use off road diesel (no road tax) include:

Farming machinery
Logging machinery
Generators
Construction equipment for earth moving
Refrigeration equipment for tractor trailers
Boats

In short, just about any diesel engine that isn't the propulsion device for a piece of equipment with a license plate.

Ted

Last edited:
Won't go into all the details, but around 11 pm Thursday night the second boat pulled free again (yes again) and sailed past me hitting the first boat that pulled free and reanchored almost next to me. The bang was so loud and close, I thought that he had it me. The force pulled the other boat's anchor free, again. To quote Sebastian the crab from "The little Mermaid ", "My god, I'm surrounded by amateurs".

Ted
Mile Hammock gets too crowded for my taste.

Some more pictures from the last few days.

I was unaware that Georgia beaches are still segregated. Well at least as far as the birds are concerned.
20201118_112941.jpg

Went by Saint Simons Sound and saw this rather odd site. Would certainly look more professional with the Atlantic Salvor in the foreground with Sailor of Fortune at the helm.
20201119_113001.jpg

No pic for this one. Pretty snotty today coming down behind Cumberland Island. Get near kings Bay Naval base. Post security calls. "We have an open gate with a sub at the entrance and 3 security vessels including the Retriever at the ready. Normally you need to keep a 500 yard distance. Because the waterway comes within the security zone, you may enter the zone provided you don't deviate from the AICW". I would guess around 300 yards from what looks like a Virginia class submarine. Pretty F-ing cool! Thought about opening the pilothouse door and trying to take a picture and decided it wasn't worth the possible attention. :dance:

Ted

No pic for this one. Pretty snotty today coming down behind Cumberland Island. Get near kings Bay Naval base. Post security calls. "We have an open gate with a sub at the entrance and 3 security vessels including the Retriever at the ready. Normally you need to keep a 500 yard distance. Because the waterway comes within the security zone, you may enter the zone provided you don't deviate from the AICW". I would guess around 300 yards from what looks like a Virginia class submarine. Pretty F-ing cool! Thought about opening the pilothouse door and trying to take a picture and decided it wasn't worth the possible attention. :dance:

Ted

Subs are poor photo targets anyway. Give me one of these any day.... My first ship in a couple of different situations.

Attachments

• HBW under fire.jpg
    HBW under fire.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DDG7.jpg
    DDG7.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 17
Subs are poor photo targets anyway. Give me one of these any day.... My first ship in a couple of different situations.
Sorry for the derail but who is shooting who and when?

Oh, some angry Asians in 1972.

Don’t most modern marine SSB radios also receive AM radio frequencies? My fixed base one did. I do realize that most coastal cruisers don’t have SSB either.

Last edited:
Short cut or Marine Traffic dropped signal??IMG_0766.jpg

Back
Top Bottom