Old 07-18-2022, 07:04 PM   #1

City: Woodbridge, CT
Fall Departure dates for cruising south

Hi, thinking about taking the boat (SeaRay 440 Aft Cabin) from CT to SC this fall. Is there a thread that addresses when the best/latest time to head south? I would take the ICW after getting to Norfolk. Is early November too late?
Awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
No problem at all... Just go
Old 07-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
We always left CT for FL on October 2nd. YMMV.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I delivered boats and did a decade of my own trawler between NJ and FL from 2003-2019. Most trips left in mid-Oct to mid-Dec.

Many of the deliveries were in Sea Rays capable of 20+ knots as I worked for a Sea Ray dealership.

The rule of thumb for snowbirders often spoken was to be to Norfolk/south by Nov 1st.

I can verify that Nov and Dec can be tough but are mostly doable (especially for faster boats as weather windows are getting shorter and shorter.

Many marinas start to turn off water and some even electric in late Oct...fuel is usually no problem.

By mid Dec, the chances of snow, sleet, freezing temps and harbor ice in the upper Chesapeake starts to increase significantly.

I would have no problem leaving CT in early Nov. In a vessel that I wouldn't mind running on plane a few days to get to critical safe harbors. Just make it to Norfolk in a reasonable time without too long of delays. I don't say as fast as possible because a few stops will be memorable if this is your/crews first trip south.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:25 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsmits View Post
Hi, thinking about taking the boat (SeaRay 440 Aft Cabin) from CT to SC this fall. Is there a thread that addresses when the best/latest time to head south? I would take the ICW after getting to Norfolk. Is early November too late?

We left here on 11/14 in 2017 headed for Charleston, and that worked well enough... previous boat with planing hull, but mostly at trawler speeds...

-Chris
Old 07-19-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Imo, once you reach Delaware bay, it really doesn't matter prior to the 1st of the year. There really aren't magic dates before the 1st of the year. Go early and you may be dodging a hurricane. Go after hurricane season and it Northeasters may have you hiding for days.

While North of Norfolk you may have to look a little harder for marinas with water and pumpout services in late October, November, and December, finding marinas with bathhouse facilities isn't difficult.

I left in late January from the Crisfield, MD in 2016. Was able to fill the water tanks and use their bathhouse. It was miserable sleeping on the boat as the water was starting to freeze. Norfolk water temperature was over 10 degrees warmer and from that point cruising is reasonable.

Probably the bigger question is whether this trip is sightseeing or a delivery run? If you plan to stop along the way and sightsee, late September and October are very comfortable on the Chesapeake. I did this last fall and enjoyed several nice days at St Mary's city.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Wow, I was just about to ask a very similar question. We are in Portland Maine, (and thinking of going a little further north) and I quess we have about 6 more weeks until we turn south?

We left Savannah in early April and we are trying to determine when to head south...
Old 08-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Wow, I was just about to ask a very similar question. We are in Portland Maine, (and thinking of going a little further north) and I quess we have about 6 more weeks until we turn south?

We left Savannah in early April and we are trying to determine when to head south...
As can be seen by the variety of opinions above, one needs to know if are you cruising south (leisurely), or are you getting south as fast as possible?

If cruising, the nice weather on average is over Mid-Oct around Delaware Bay and around Mid-Nov in the Norfolk area. After that you get cold, but it's rarely a show stopper unless you love outside cruising.

If you are just rocketing south, and the boat and you are set up for cold weather cruising, as Ted posted....leaving even Jan 1st from the Jersey area is doable...but your weather windows start to shrink dramatically on the front side of Thanksgiving.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Pasadena, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsmits View Post

I"m headed that direction too likely mid-April and have a SeaRay 460 Sundancer. :-) See ya on the ICW!
CheckMateTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Many fuel docks and marinas in New England close after Nov. 1. Many go to weekend only service after Columbus Day.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote