Cumberland Island Now Closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
To all visitors as of yesterday.

I just don't understand federal, state and local governments closing campgrounds. When we camp I have a 1 minute interaction with the ranger on duty that I would now do from 6' away. I don't use the restrooms or showers, but if others do it is simple for the maintenance staff to close the facilities for a few minutes while they clean it up. Yes the cleaning people need to wear gloves, but maybe they should have been doing that routinely.

Cumberland Island is a tent only camping facility and if you stick to your campsite for the life of me I don't see the risk to the public or the staff. There could be some risk coming over on the ferry. But sensible distancing rules can mitigate that risk.

Why shut down simple, non threatening recreation that could help us get through this otherwise miserable time.

Just like Maryland shutting down their waters to recreational boating. If you are out with your family for an afternoon cruise and not rafting and partying what is the risk?

David

It's just a pity I had already bought all the provisions for two weeks up there starting Monday. :(

Can you still anchor out or are they going to chase you?

It's just a pity I had already bought all the provisions for two weeks up there starting Monday. :(

Might be a benefit in the long run. One or two less trips to the grocery store.

Can you still anchor out or are they going to chase you?

We can go anchor out but really the benefit of going up there is the wonderful island. I understand trying to standardize on the approach but when we were there last week for three nights we went ashore each day and were the only people there - two of us on the 17.5 mile beach, and passed no one else while walking except for one family of four and it was easy to keep our distance.

The most confusing thing is that the GA governor just overrode the local municipalities and reopened all beaches in GA yesterday after they had been closed. Cumberland, while in GA, is a National Seashore, so a federal park.

We might go up to Fort George River during the week. While Little Talbot State Park is closed there are a number of big sandbars there for a walk.

Back
Top Bottom