Clothing Optional Cruising??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Long before drones and other intrusive ways of observing people expecting privacy, USCG helos checked vessels to ensure that naked people laying prone in vessels were OK and no foul play indicated...especially if bodies appeared on top of one another. :D

Film at 11?

Two stories. Was living in Duxbury MA a fairly snotty town in MA. Was halfzies on a boat with the General Practitioner of the town. He was a very dignified Harvard trained southern gentleman. Coming back from Maine it was brutally hot and humid. He sailed disrobed for several days. We pulled into the yacht club. I was dressed he was not having forgotten to “address” that formality. On the dock was small children and their moms as it was a turnabout race day.
To make matters worse and more embarrassing he got sunburned on the top of his penis. He was in pain dressed and moving around in his daily clinic so red above (from embarrassment) and below.

Cruised the Caribbean for nearly a decade. You know someone is old when they look better with clothes on than off. Being in proximity frequently is truly a sexual turn off.

Two stories. Was living in Duxbury MA a fairly snotty town in MA. Was halfzies on a boat with the General Practitioner of the town. He was a very dignified Harvard trained southern gentleman. Coming back from Maine it was brutally hot and humid. He sailed disrobed for several days. We pulled into the yacht club. I was dressed he was not having forgotten to “address” that formality. On the dock was small children and their moms as it was a turnabout race day.
To make matters worse and more embarrassing he got sunburned on the top of his penis. He was in pain dressed and moving around in his daily clinic so red above (from embarrassment) and below.

Cruised the Caribbean for nearly a decade. You know someone is old when they look better with clothes on than off. Being in proximity frequently is truly a sexual turn off.

We are very strict about requiring sunscreen. Even with bathing suits, you must be careful to apply it to borderline areas. However, if anyone disrobes entirely, then you must apply it generously to those areas that don't normally see the sun.

I remember years ago, a co-worker came in one morning and she'd made her first trip to a tanning salon the evening before. She'd sunburned her nipples and could only stand to wear the lightest sundress, obviously couldn't wear a bra. I would say everyone else there learned a lesson.

I've also heard sailors and others comment about already having a tan and not needing sunscreen. Then you look at their skin and just fear what they may face ahead. We want a long, healthy boating life and showing proper respect for the sun is a key to that.

Long before drones and other intrusive ways of observing people expecting privacy, USCG helos checked vessels to ensure that naked people laying prone in vessels were OK and no foul play indicated...especially if bodies appeared on top of one another. :D

"... bodies on top of one another = Fun Play... NOT Foul Play!! :thumb:

Hope the helo pilots weren't playing with themselves too much while watching others enjoy "Fun Play"! :dance::dance:

A gentleman would lie on top of her to protect her from the prying eyes of helo crew.

You learn what works for you. It's like swimming, in the pool at home, I greatly prefer naked, in good safe waters, I do, but dropping anchor and where various sea creatures around and even twigs or things, I like a little more protection. :):

The one time my wife ever decided to swim topless was in the surf off Isle of Palms, SC. We were completely alone near sunset, the lighting was glorious and the water temps were perfect—but she was still not entirely sure of things, so stayed submerged up to her neck. Things were starting to get promising when she suddenly let out a horrible scream! A tiny fish had decided a part of her anatomy (see post 123), formerly covered, looked like a barnacle or whatever, latched on and started tugging. No damage, but that was the last time clothing was ever “optional” for her in salt water.

I’m that case cloth is only off above deck if I ever get the chance.

The one time my wife ever decided to swim topless was in the surf off Isle of Palms, SC. We were completely alone near sunset, the lighting was glorious and the water temps were perfect—but she was still not entirely sure of things, so stayed submerged up to her neck. Things were starting to get promising when she suddenly let out a horrible scream! A tiny fish had decided a part of her anatomy (see post 123), formerly covered, looked like a barnacle or whatever, latched on and started tugging. No damage, but that was the last time clothing was ever “optional” for her in salt water.

Some of these comments have me lol... what did I start with this thread

Answer to your question:

Sex sells! Anything making reference to sex sells. If natural nakedness does not enliven thoughts of sex then either one has a problem or the same one fibs to oneself.

"Average man has 19 thoughts about sex a day. This was more than the women in their study – who had about 10 thoughts a day. However, the men also had more thoughts about food and sleep, suggesting perhaps that men are more prone to indulgent impulses in general."

Thus the impulse %age of males owning boats! :dance: :speed boat:

I admit I didn't read the thread. Simply put I couldn't care less about exposed skin EXCEPT when it comes to footwear. Now that "summer" is here in the PNW, I saw it again. Two couples come in on a sailboat and a guy is running around on deck wearing some kind of sandal things. Two women on board are barefoot. Deck is hot or slippery, complaints about stepping on a line, sandal gets caught on a deck fitting, etc. Even with a bow and stern thruster (on a sailboat??), they managed a clumsy reckless docking. It obviously wasn't the fault of the footwear, but the (lack of) footwear was a harbinger of what was to come.

Stupid footgear is as bad as barefoot. Looking cool can cause stiches. I've had boating trips end early because of groovy-looking flip flops. Nobody on my boat has naked feet or "foot bikini" footwear. The rest of the attire I don't care about. End of rant.

I admit I didn't read the thread. Simply put I couldn't care less about exposed skin EXCEPT when it comes to footwear. Now that "summer" is here in the PNW, I saw it again. Two couples come in on a sailboat and a guy is running around on deck wearing some kind of sandal things. Two women on board are barefoot. Deck is hot or slippery, complaints about stepping on a line, sandal gets caught on a deck fitting, etc. Even with a bow and stern thruster (on a sailboat??), they managed a clumsy reckless docking. It obviously wasn't the fault of the footwear, but the (lack of) footwear was a harbinger of what was to come.

Stupid footgear is as bad as barefoot. Looking cool can cause stiches. I've had boating trips end early because of groovy-looking flip flops. Nobody on my boat has naked feet or "foot bikini" footwear. The rest of the attire I don't care about. End of rant.

Sperry "Stop-Sliders" err... Top Siders - LOL

I agree always gotta wear foot protection.. I seen a guy lose toes on a deck hatch and I never been barefoot since. So even if I get the chance to go nude I sill will have my deck boots on.

As a kid, I was a city boy who never went barefoot outdoors. Meanshile, my country cousins always did. Until one fateful day when on the way to a neighbors pool, my cousin stepped on broken glass. Not a good result. He no longer made fun of my wearing of shoes.

With bare feet you need to be careful where you walk. The only time I slipped was wearing Topsiders. I’m barefoot most of the time onboard and have never slipped. Can I kick something and break a toe, sure, but slipping I could break my neck.

I guess it’s dangerous anyway you look at it. It’s a dangerous game we play in every aspect from weather to safety. Probably most dangerous is me coming on this website trying to find nudist boaters to invite me along for a cruise on there trawler Lol ��

I found topsides the MOST dangerous boat shoes I ever owned.

Maybe the new sneaker type are better...but cheap sneakers for the budget are even better.

I have worn no shoes to steel toed boots (required on some commercial vessels)....not wearing shoes has resulted in stubbed toes ( much less so on power boats versus sailboats) and expensive boots have had soles pried off when caught on gear ( thus switching to Walmart specials as they worked and lasted just as well as $150 boots)...

So bottom line......bare feet don't bother me in most boating applications...but having something to shove on in a moments notice is a good idea....as long as it is NOT a slit sole Topsider... :D

Last edited:
A friend of mine was bare foot, slipped and drove a cleat ear into his foot. His girlfriend drove him to the hospital. He was really bleeding and his gf complained about his blood in her car. She made him put his foot out the window. He still married her. LOL

Sperry "Stop-Sliders" err... Top Siders - LOL

My quote above from post 131... was simply a joke. I dislike Top Sider shoes!

Good pair of sneaks with fairly soft material soles and good ridges on the soles work well. I really like the sneaks with Velcro over-straps, while on boats. Easy on/off and will not pull pull off [like slip-ins with elastic around ankle will] if shoe heal gets momentarily caught underneath something.

Safety is as safety does! :dance:

Some of these comments have me lol... what did I start with this thread

Thanks, it brought back some fond memories of my colleges days! Being on the water sure loosens inhibitions.

These days I’m looking for a light weight bathrobe kind of thing to hang out in, something classy and low maintenance.

I’m getting there too! In my mid thirties now but as teen working the deck on a transient sport fish and passing a mature but sexy topless woman sunbathing and throwing a wave on the deck of a Grand Banks I so wanted jump ****. The freedom and a good view had me intrigued. The bathrobe idea sound nice but might while I’m still young and in shape I might as well feel comfortable.

Thanks, it brought back some fond memories of my colleges days! Being on the water sure loosens inhibitions.

These days I’m looking for a light weight bathrobe kind of thing to hang out in, something classy and low maintenance.

Robe, cigar, cold beverage and 8knots is more my speed but can’t do that on my not so classy fishing boat lol

The two issues I have with naked boating are:

1. With one spectacular exception, all of the people we have encountered who were cruising nude, were not really the kind of naked people you like to see.

2. There are lots of things on boats that can hang you up. I don't want to be this guy.

R.f5392e490782f287981882b8bf3be005

A friend of mine was bare foot, slipped and drove a cleat ear into his foot. His girlfriend drove him to the hospital. He was really bleeding and his gf complained about his blood in her car. She made him put his foot out the window. He still married her. LOL

Funny how relationships evolve from "Oh my God!!! You've cut yourself!!" (9 times out of 10, no idea how/when it happened) to "Don't get blood on the sheets."

Now you guys have me second guessing this whole nude boating thing.. It was a bucket list thing for me while I still look and feel good but maybe I’m better off keeping my extra tuff fishing boots and board shorts on.

I grew up sailing my Snark sailboat, which is a Sunfish's poorer, styrofoam cousin on a small cove on the Chesapeake bay. At age 7 I was set free with the condition to stay in the cove, which I didn't do of course because I longed to get a close look at the cruising sailboats that motored past (barely any wind on the bay in the middle of the summer) with all of their complex rigging, cabin, multiple sails, I was envious of all of it and would go wait in their path as they were headed up the bay or rounding our point into the Patuxent River towards Solomon's Island.

As the cruising boats passed by I would stand up get a better view (of the boat) and probably once a week I would startle some unsuspecting woman on deck trying to get an even tan. My little head would pop up out of no where about 4' above the water. It wasn't until years later that it dawned on me why the women were so startled, I was so fixated on the boats, rigging, sails, etc. so oblivious to them that it never crossed my mind that I was invading their privacy.

In hindsight, the husbands driving the boats must have been a bit of pranksters because they would have seen me in my little boat from miles away and never bothered to alter course for the sake of their wives' modesty.

I foolishly did the same thing with container ships and car carriers, it is a miracle I'm still alive.

Thanks for all the fun reply’s you guys are all great sports... Hopefully I can find a nudist couple or group that will invite me along

Thanks for all the fun reply’s you guys are all great sports... Hopefully I can find a nudist couple or group that will invite me along

I'm thinking the squirrel pic a few posts up might give an otherwise willing person/couple/group pause. Certainly got a groan out of me (2-octaves higher than normal). Good illustration of "careful for what you wish....."

Peter

Reminds me of a story of two coworkers, both a little slimy and liked to do drugs, took a sailboat, (Cal 29), from Vancouver B.C. to the Sea of Cortez. They both couldn't land in the USA because they had both had various drug convictions so they had to sail non-stop. The boat ended up on the rocks in the Sea of Cortez because of poor seamanship.

But, one of the complaints of the crew, of which there was only one, is that the "Captain" liked to run around on the boat with no clothes on, which kind of pissed off the crew. So in nude cruising all crew and captain have to be in agreement.

Back
Top Bottom