City Island, NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncleg44

Veteran Member
Planning next summer's itinerary. Any info re: City Island, NYC would be appreciated, especially marina recommendations.
Thanks,
George - Grumpy Old Men, Rosborough RF-246

Unless your seeing family/friends there's no reason to go to City Island:eek:

I picked up a mooring at the Harlem Yacht Club last year. It was fine. Never went ashore so can't speak to the facilities.

I was just through there again a few days ago and couldn't get anyone at either the Yacht Club or the City Island Marina to answer the phone. I ended up across the sound in Port Washington at Brewer's Capri Marina which is very good. I'll be staying there in the future. Both places are great to stage overnight for a run through NYC at the correct tides the next day.

City Island is a good stop to stage before you enter the hassle of Manhattan. We have always taken a mooring and at times we have taken a bus and then a subway into Manhattan. Have stayed at the Harlem Yacht Club and I believe one other mooring provider. Have never stayed at NYC marina, usually have jumped from City Island to Jersey City NJ.

Marty

I agree with much of the above.
City Island sort of works for New Yorkers, but if you are just passing thru, the free anchorage just southwest of the Statue of Liberty would be appealing.
North shore of Long Island, Manhasset and Oyster Bays are also a good choice.

Along with Harlem Yacht Club is Minneford's Marina on the east side of the island. Other than some decent restaurants (if you want to try fried lobster tails) there was a small maritime museum a few years ago, not sure if it still exists.

Trader John is a used marine store that may or may not have items and hardware of interest.

NYC pizza is thought to be the best thin crust pizza in the world and there are a number of pizza shops.By the slice or whole.

If you wish to go downtown there are express buses that depart about 7-8M and return in the PM , so you wont need to take a bus to the electric sewer , the subway.
This is far and away easier than anchoring in NJ behind the Statue if you wish to visit the City.

Good food at many places is mostly in the low to modest price range.

Dockside at Consolidated or Minnifords is very protected although not in the low price range.
A mooring at Barrons Boat yard is inexpensive if you have a dink, or go on a weekend with launch service. Located tween CI and Hart Is.

There is a good sized food market on the island that can be walked to , your drag behind folding cart will be very useful.

Leave CI heading south at high tide (or just before) and enjoy the current push all the way out to sea.There are NO problems from the current (with you) in terms of steering , tho in Hells Gate , I would steer , not have the AP/GPS do it.

Thank you, all. Useful info, especially express bus to/from the City.

Back
Top Bottom