Chesapeake Summer 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is 1084 miles on the AICW from Miami to Portsmouth, and I would add another 100 or so for going up and crossing the lake.

I don’t want a brutal delivery-type trip with 10 hour days. I did that from Fort Myers to Texas and it sucked.

So plan on 3-4 weeks getting up there? I may have waited too late to late to do this trip if I have to turn right back around and come back before November. I’ll let the wife know and see what she says. She would probably rather go to Spain. [emoji30]

Hey, get started and see how far you get on a comfy schedule. If you don't make it to the Chessie, no big deal...a couple weeks exploring the N Carolina sounds is great too.

The climate below Norfolk even well into November is significantly better than north of it.

Boat speed is key...

My suggestions we're based on 6-7 knots.

I don't have the charts in front of me, but I will guess it is over 1100 NM from Sarasota to Norfolk.

Very close to 1,200 statute miles.

We have decided not to go north this year. It finally dawned on my sun drenched brain that if we left in September and slowly cruised over four weeks that would put us there in October, and it’s cold up north in October. [emoji30]

Maybe next year we will go, but leave earlier in the summer.

Are the winter months too chilly to cruise the Bahamas for people who really can’t stand the cold? Maybe cruise the more southern Bahamas to miss most of the cold fronts?

For us up here, September and October are some of the best times to be on the Chesapeake. You would likely even have enough wind to sail a few times. :)

-Chris

We love the Chesapeake in the Fall. Great cruising weather. We’ve been in Cape Charles for the past month. Going to head up the bay this week.

That's a shame you skipped some of the best cruising destinations on the entire ICW and southeastern seaboard in general. Baffling....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom