Chesapeake Bay 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would love to see a get together mid summer 2017 on the bay. Perhaps St Michaels, Solomons or Annapolis.

Just a thought, consider the temperature / humidity mid summer in towns and cities along the bay. If you want to do anything outside, late spring / early summer or fall would be much better.

Ted

I agree with Ted. Summer on the middle and upper Bay can be brutal. It is certainly manageable with AC though. But slips are expensive in the three towns you mentioned. The only decent innexpensive marina in Solomons is Calvert Marina. The other marinas are nice for sure. but they do charge for it. The lower Bay, below the Potomac generally has better wind and is cooler. LAst summer was our 31st summer on the Bay. This summer we are hoping to get to Maine where the water is 20-30 degrees cooler.

I will be on the Great Loop this summer. Should be on Lake Superior in August. Will be a nice change from last August's stifling heat on the Chesapeake.

Ted

I will be on the Great Loop this summer. Should be on Lake Superior in August. Will be a nice change from last August's stifling heat on the Chesapeake.

Ted

Interesting to see you going to Lake Superior as most loopers skip it entirely. How far on Lake Superior do you plan to go. Lake Superior is certainly very different from the rest of the loop. Glad we checked it out this time. Next loop though will probably only go as far as Sault Ste Marie or maybe a day or two onto Lake Superior. As it was, we spent only about 10 days on the lake itself. 2 days going each way at Sault Ste. Marie.

Interesting to see you going to Lake Superior as most loopers skip it entirely. How far on Lake Superior do you plan to go. Lake Superior is certainly very different from the rest of the loop. Glad we checked it out this time. Next loop though will probably only go as far as Sault Ste Marie or maybe a day or two onto Lake Superior. As it was, we spent only about 10 days on the lake itself. 2 days going each way at Sault Ste. Marie.

Planning on going to Superior / Duluth (have friends there) and maybe a week at Isle Royale national Park. A lot will depend on how long I spend on Erie and Huron. My schedule is much less organized than yours. Weather will certainly play a roll also.

Ted

Planning on going to Superior / Duluth (have friends there) and maybe a week at Isle Royale national Park. A lot will depend on how long I spend on Erie and Huron. My schedule is much less organized than yours. Weather will certainly play a roll also.

Ted

So this means your skipping the Trent Severn? What's dragging you down through Erie? Not that there's anything wrong with it, I boat on it every summer. Just unusual for slow boats to go that way.

So this means your skipping the Trent Severn? What's dragging you down through Erie? Not that there's anything wrong with it, I boat on it every summer. Just unusual for slow boats to go that way.

Wifey B: That's the whole problem. There's enough loop for 2 trips, 4 trips, 6 trips, a dollar or something. You just can't see it all ever. We covered about as much as possible with greater speed but still tons of places we have left to see. We also saw the Erie and Superior, Ontario, not the Western Erie Canal, not the Trent Severn although did make it to Georgian Bay. I'd hate to have missed anything we saw but sure want to see more.

Diver, we went to Duluth as well. It's soooooooooooooooo far, but we enjoyed seeing that end of Lake Superior. :)

Canada 150th Anniversary

Trying to avoid Canada this year. Think the waterways will be jammed with both Americans and Canadians. Decided that before they made the permits free. That will only make it worse.

There is just too much to see in one summer. So my plan is to do the GL this year and avoid Canada. The Next trip will be up the Hudson, through Lake Champlain, and up the Richelieu River - Chambly Canal to Sorel. Then go down the St Lawrence river to Lake Ontario and into the Canadian canals for the Summer. Ideally cross the Erie canal from West to East in mid September, and then chase Fall back to Florida.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Slight correction: Go UP the St. Lawrence from Sorel to Lake Ontario. Sounds like a good plan overall and probably wise to pass on the circus. If you go up the Ottawa River @ Montreal, you can then do the Rideau Canal from Ottawa to Kingston without backtracking. You will miss the 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence but from Kingston you can readily do a short tour and not backtrack too much. Just a suggestion. Beautiful country.

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Slight correction: Go UP the St. Lawrence from Sorel to Lake Ontario. Sounds like a good plan overall and probably wise to pass on the circus. If you go up the Ottawa River @ Montreal, you can then do the Rideau Canal from Ottawa to Kingston without backtracking. You will miss the 1000 Islands in the St. Lawrence but from Kingston you can readily do a short tour and not backtrack too much. Just a suggestion. Beautiful country.

I have been considering doing the Rideau Canal but really haven't gotten serious about planning that trip as it's probably 3 years away. This trip will give me a better idea of how much cruising I will want to do in a Summer.

Ted

Ok for some of us it sounds like southern bay or solomons area. Any thought on where ? Perhaps early summer or early fall?

Last edited:
Mid October sounds better for me and possibly other snowbirders as they can plan it into their trek.

By then marinas may have a bit more room, seasonal pricing and the weather is still nice (probably nicer than mid summer).

Just a few thoughts.....

We made that trip. It's a great experience and you can visit many monuments and museums by bicycle.

At Triton Marina, spend days on the Bohemia and Chesapeake City, MD. We just brought the boat from Jacksonville, Florida to Triton Marina, Elkton MD..via the ICW mostly and ocean partly in the Carolinas at the beginning on the boating season.

Last edited:
Nice video. We've been surprised how few cruisers seem to go up the Potomac. Not to be missed in our opinion.

Thanks! Learning how to use the iMovie app. And yes, we were surprised to not see any cruisers. We really expected a lot more boats than we saw....a catamaran, two trawlers and a couple of large yachts....the rest were local watermen or runabouts, but still only a handful out there!

Back
Top Bottom