Cape Cod Canal question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Planning to go through the Cape Cod canal for the 1st time heading East, any recommendations or advice?

Jeff
Mainship 40

Beware of wind against current at the approach channel from Buzzards Bay. It can be VERY nasty. And there is a significant current in the canal, so timing is important.

Obey the speed limit in the channel. Even outside the canal proper, the Cleveland Ledge channel is still restricted. They do monitor, and will send someone out to wag their finger and yell at you if you violate it. Oddly enough, outside the channel there's no speed limit.

You could call Canal Control for a voluntary check-in before entering, just to let them know you care. They like that, and will advise you of any other transiting traffic. Channel 13.

Canal floods to the east. You'll be fighting 4-6 kn current if you go on the ebb and yes, it's a washing machine with wind against current.
I usually enter at slack water at the Buzzards Bay Railroad Bridge or early in the flood.
Good temp anchorages at Pocasset or Onset if you need to wait for slack.
Monitor Ch 13 during passage.

We always like to go downhill- with the tide. May not be a factor depending on how much power you have.

What TT says is true. Wind against the tide and or current can be very nasty. If possible we try to make the transit through Buzzards Bay in the morning before the afternoon breeze picks up.
Rob

All good advice above. Cannot emphasize enough the importance of going through at a favorable tide (starting at slack is best). The RR Bridge is lowered sometimes as you are in transit and you'll have to wait for it, which can be challenging if the current is full force. Morning is always best before the SW wind picks up in Buzzards Bay (especially important going west). It is always interesting, you may see seals, Mola mola (ocean sunfish), sea turtles or even a whale. Enjoy!

Marcy
A34 Paumanok 1986

Thanks for all the recommendations, looking further I see Blynman Canal, by Gloucester, Ma. I guess the same will apply here as well?
Looks ok but just checking with you guys.

Thanks for all the recommendations, looking further I see Blynman Canal, by Gloucester, Ma. I guess the same will apply here as well?
Looks ok but just checking with you guys.

Don't go through Blyman bridge on a weekend if you can avoid it. Real nuthouse. Esp late afternoon when the beer coolers are empty. A courtesy line forms at both ends waiting for the bridge opening. Those going up river go first, maybe. It's a short and very narrow bridge channel. Once past the Cape Ann Marina Annisquam traffic calms down although numerous small boats headed for Wingaersheek Beach will keep you alert.

Gloucester and Newburyport are nice stops. I would not go through the Annisquam during greenhead season. Check status when you get to Gloucester.

Live in Plymouth. Like to fish off Cleveland ledge using a center console so frequently use the canal. Common day depending upon where fish are hitting is Brown’s bank, Manomet’s Mary Ann rocks, mouth on sandwich side, Cleveland. Good striper fishing if you have the time.
Not mentioned is barge traffic. Worthwhile to not be transiting the canal if there’s barges in it. Will wait or aim to follow behind them. Listen to 16 and 13. Check in if any concerns. Do transit ignoring current in a center console but not if there’s standing waves near mass maritime.
When in a cruising boat find it much easier to wait for favorable conditions at anchor not in a harbor but at onset just off Piney Point. Good holding and close.
If you’re going to hang out Marion is a good spot. Cute town with good boat services. Prefer Bardens. Kept a boat there and was a happy camper. But Onset has the best pizza in MA including the North End. Marc Anthony’s is right at the harbor so a easy walk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom