Bareboat with my son?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H2O_Doc

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Skipper
Vessel Make
Everglades DC230
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if you have ideas, I'm all ears.

My oldest son graduates college this Spring, so I thought he and I would take a trip together. Maybe diving in Florida, exploring Maine, or... a 3-4 day bareboat charter somewhere. My wife/his mom just started a new job, so it'd just be him and I or maybe my youngest son as well. Late May.

He indicated he'd enjoy exploring the east coast.

Thoughts? I've sail chartered, so I'd lean that way, but open to any ideas. Somewhere to explore and enjoy nature before he goes off to his job (in Idaho).

We are Coloradans, and I'm not too familiar with any of the East Coast, but have spent a few weeks down near Sarasota. That's about it!

You can charter a trawler from Southwest Florida Yachts. I have never chartered from them but they routinely get good reviews here.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if you have ideas, I'm all ears.

My oldest son graduates college this Spring, so I thought he and I would take a trip together. Maybe diving in Florida, exploring Maine, or... a 3-4 day bareboat charter somewhere. My wife/his mom just started a new job, so it'd just be him and I or maybe my youngest son as well. Late May.

He indicated he'd enjoy exploring the east coast.

Thoughts? I've sail chartered, so I'd lean that way, but open to any ideas. Somewhere to explore and enjoy nature before he goes off to his job (in Idaho).

We are Coloradans, and I'm not too familiar with any of the East Coast, but have spent a few weeks down near Sarasota. That's about it!

You won't get a ton of exploring the East coast in 3/4 days. I would plan longer if you can. Also suggest a sail or motor charter in the BVIs.

That's awesome. I love spending time with my son when he comes home as well. (FSU junior yr.) Here is an idea for you just a tad further than the east coast of Florida. Go on google earth and zoom out as far as you can then zoom in enough to fill your screen. Spin the earth and look for the pretty light green color. That color you'll see like no other on earth is the Bahamas.

I don’t have any chartering info, but just wanted to say that I spent two weeks in the Bahamas with one of my college age sons two years ago, and it was one of my favorite trips. Great memories.

Father and son charter?
I hope you have a good relationship with your son. In my case, the relationship between my father and mother and myself sucked.

Last edited:
I brought my sons on as partners several years ago. Now I have serious business partners and no longer have my sons. I retire soon and hope that I get my sons back and they come on parts of the Loop with me.

Southwest Florida Charters in Sarasota would be nice, but the dream vacation would be the Moorings in the Bahamas.

Back
Top Bottom