Anyone on Narragansett Bay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
Anyone here on Narragansett Bay Rhode Island (or nearby)?

We're expecting delivery of our new Helmsman 38 sometime this spring/summer, with a home port of Portsmouth RI. Anyone here in the same general vicinity and possibly interested in doing some joint cruises, either short and close (Narragansett Bay, Buzzard's Bay, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, etc.), or longer and farther (Long Island Sound, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine coasts)?

Nick welcome. Glad you were not asking about today. 4-6’ seas and 30kt winds while we were in Jamestown.

We are located in Warwick but cruise the bay, Block, Cutty etc. let’s connect

Hi Nick,

We are in Southeastern CT and cruise all the places you mentioned. Planning a trip to Provincetown next summer. We may continue on to Maine.

Rob

We're out of Westerly RI. We usually launch around mid May. We cast lines around the 2nd or 3rd week of June and don't come back until the week after Labor Day (roughly 11 weeks)

We spend the majority of time at Block Island. Last year we spent about 4+ weeks between Martha's Vineyard and Provincetown.

How's seasonal slip availability around the bay? I'd eventually like to move our boat to that area to explore all the areas mentioned.

How's seasonal slip availability around the bay? I'd eventually like to move our boat to that area to explore all the areas mentioned.

In that area, all slips are seasonal. But if you are going to be cruising/exploring you don’t need a seasonal slip.

Or do you work and plan to take vacation time and weekends to go cruising and need a home base, in that case rent a permanent slip (for the season).

David

In that area, all slips are seasonal. But if you are going to be cruising/exploring you don’t need a seasonal slip.

Or do you work and plan to take vacation time and weekends to go cruising and need a home base, in that case rent a permanent slip (for the season).

David

That is what I'm thinking about. Renting for the season to possibly include wet storage over the winter.

FWIW, I searched long and hard, for three years, to secure a seasonal slip (which for me will be year-round) on Narragansett Bay. It might have been COVID-fueled demand, but I found the supply of seasonal slips to be far less than the supply.

I contacted literally every marina on Narragansett Bay, over a dozen. All had waiting lists. Many told me to not even bother to get on the list because there were over 100 people ahead of me, an anticipated multi-year wait. I recently secured a slip for which I'd been on a list for 2 years.

Part of the reason this area is so popular for boating and slips is because (of course I'm biased) Narragansett Bay is beautiful, and close to other great areas, such as Block Island, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Buzzard's Bay, Cape Cod, and Long Island Sound. Another reason is because there is no sales tax on boats in Rhode Island. I suspect many of the boats kept in our local marinas are owned by people who live out of state. There seem to be more boats here than people who live in Rhode Island.

I think demand for slips is slowing down somewhat. One factor is that most people looking for a slip put themselves on multiple waiting lists (as I did). Many people also put themselves on lists while still shopping, before getting a boat (as I did too), and with the softening economy might be changing their minds about buying a boat.

Nonetheless, if you might be interested in getting a slip in this area, I'd strongly suggest calling every marina on the bay and getting on every wait list that will take you, and doing it early. You will probably have a wait.

Good luck!

I would argue against Block Island being a "great place", but some do love it there. I think you either love it or hate it, not much in between. That said there are lots of great places to explore in Long Island Sound and RI. Marinas in CT seem to have availability from what I can tell. Even the yacht club that I belong to had some empty slips last year.

I would argue against Block Island being a "great place", but some do love it there. I think you either love it or hate it, not much in between. That said there are lots of great places to explore in Long Island Sound and RI. Marinas in CT seem to have availability from what I can tell. Even the yacht club that I belong to had some empty slips last year.

I guess we’re in the minority of certainly not loving Block Island, but we don’t vehemently hate it either. The whole Block Island party scene isn’t our thing (we’re way too old for that), though it’s a 20- or 30-something’s idea of heaven. Martha’s Vineyard is much more our speed.

But even for curmudgeons like us, once in a while it’s still fun to have lunch at a restaurant on a beach and wiggle your toes in the sand while having a burger and a cold beer.

Now the annual Aquapalooza insanity on Prudence Island is something we truly despise…

Agreed Nick. Maybe hate is too strong, but for my time and money there are much better destinations near by. Block is almost a right of passage for many.

We boat from the NH coast and Narragansett Bay is definitely in our cruising area, we were there last August, as a matter of fact. Our favorite place in that general area is Cuttyhunk. Not fans of Nantucket, have not tried Block Island yet, and we love the Vineyard.

We spent two nights in Battleship Cove with 3 other buddy boat last Summer and had a blast. It's certainly not the typical cruising destination, that's for sure, but it was way better than we expected and the ships were really cool to tour. When I called the Harbor Master and asked for 4 moorings for two nights he was quite surprised and said "we have 13 guest moorings and they are all available". We were the only transients there the whole time at the height of cruising season. We had a terrific group meal at a waterfront joint nearby called The Cove. We may be going back as a group this Summer.

We expect to be in Penobscot Bay for a couple of weeks in early August. Feel free to join. We will be anchoring or mooring most nights.

Have my newly purchased GB 42 at Wickford Shipyard. Plan to launch in the spring, headed to my homeport of Montauk. Would love the company. if any vessels are interested in making the trip together. It will be my maiden voyage on the vessel and would prefer to do it with a buddy boat.

We love Block but not the party scene. Week after Labor Day this year was great. Another secluded place is the Middletown moorings at the end of the Sakonet River. $20 night, quiet and pretty calm.

I have heard Cuttyhunk is nice but haven't made it there yet. Quite different than Block I imagine. I haven't gotten very far East of CT yet, but maybe this season or if not defintately next as I will be retired and have more time.

I went Albie fishing at Cuttyhunk this fall. Cool place and is on our list to go this year. Due to wife’s work we don’t get extended time away so have to watch distance and conditions. We avoid the real busy places on weekends although did secure a mooring in Bristol for the 4th. Did same last year and had a blast

We have a mooring in Newport harbor and our favorite get-away is the three hour trip on our Mainship 400 to Block Island where we drop anchor. We stay away from the marina party scenes and enjoy the quiet peace in the anchorage. The Oldport launch can take us into shore for the short walk to the town center.

Attachments

• 2012-08-23 19.22.16.jpg
    2012-08-23 19.22.16.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 15
If you are looking for solitude the Middletown moorings located at the mouth of the Sakonet river are great. No amenities but calm and a great beach.

I'll be passing through there june-ish. Would love to take a run out to Martha's Vineyard. Never been.

I'll be passing through there june-ish. Would love to take a run out to Martha's Vineyard. Never been.

Our favorite anchorage there is Vineyard Haven Lagoon Pond. It's a longish dinghy ride to the dinghy dock by the ferry landing, but the bus stop for the island bus service (which is cheap and excellent) is super convenient to the dinghy dock and the anchorage is very calm all night.

We have a mooring in Newport harbor and our favorite get-away is the three hour trip on our Mainship 400 to Block Island where we drop anchor. We stay away from the marina party scenes and enjoy the quiet peace in the anchorage. The Oldport launch can take us into shore for the short walk to the town center.

Is it easy to find space to anchor there? The anchorage on my chart does not look all that big...

There is plenty of anchorage in there. Easy access to the dinghy beach and the shuttles and pump out will swing by. It can get crowded on the major holidays but otherwise fine. Town also has transient moorings on a first come first served basis, these are closer to the docks and eateries.

The whole Block Island party scene isn’t our thing (we’re way too old for that), though it’s a 20- or 30-something’s idea of heaven.

I had a blast at 1987 BIRW [emoji3060]. I was briefly tempted to stop by last time I was in the area, but passed on by.

Narragansett Bay

Hello,
I cruise Narragansett Bay extensively, out to the islands and Long Island sound. Please feel free to reach out when your in the neighborhood, I'll buy you a beer or two. Also possibly heading to Mystic Ct. again this summer if your interested in joining.
I agree Battleship Cove which is my home port is probably the most overlooked destination with great museums, restaurants / bars and plenty of live music.

I’m retiring this year and hope to spend a lot of time cruising from Maine to RI. I’ve always wanted to visit Battleship Cove and I’ve heard good things about Cuttyhunk. I’ll try and shout out plans and maybe we can do some buddy cruising or at least meet and greets.

Ken

Our favorite anchorage there is Vineyard Haven Lagoon Pond. It's a longish dinghy ride to the dinghy dock by the ferry landing, but the bus stop for the island bus service (which is cheap and excellent) is super convenient to the dinghy dock and the anchorage is very calm all night.

That and Lake Tashmoo are our favorite places on MV.

Rob

Hello,
I cruise Narragansett Bay extensively, out to the islands and Long Island sound. Please feel free to reach out when your in the neighborhood, I'll buy you a beer or two. Also possibly heading to Mystic Ct. again this summer if your interested in joining.
I agree Battleship Cove which is my home port is probably the most overlooked destination with great museums, restaurants / bars and plenty of live music.

One of my favorite transient stops is in Noank. Haven't made it up-river to Mystic because I like Noank so much.

One of my favorite transient stops is in Noank. Haven't made it up-river to Mystic because I like Noank so much.
Ooh, Mystic is on my list. Spent a very pleasant day at the museum eons ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom