Upstream into the Tenn-Tom???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleepy

Veteran Member
We are thinking about heading upstream from Mobile Bay into the Tenn-Tom and perhaps further. Two reasons: 1) to explore that water and the sights along the way and 2) to escape the gulf coast during hurricane season. In fact, the thought is to head out if there is a hurricane projected to hit our marina.

Obviously this is the opposite direction most loopers follow. Our boat can do 10kts and we know all about locking through. We know there is a good amount of tug and barge traffic to deal with. We don't know if the cruising and sights along the way will be worth fighting the current.

Is this a dumb idea???

If I was based in Mobile, and a hurricane was within three days of landfall anywhere along that stretch of the Gulf coast, I would absolutely head inland up the Tenn-Tom rather than waste time guessing whether to run east or west. Trying to outfox a tropical system in the Gulf or Mexico is a fool's errand, as Hurricane Michael proved in 2018.

As to whether going north via the Tenn-Tom is a pleasure cruise, others will have to comment. But, any port in a storm.

We are thinking about heading upstream from Mobile Bay into the Tenn-Tom and perhaps further. Two reasons: 1) to explore that water and the sights along the way and 2) to escape the gulf coast during hurricane season. In fact, the thought is to head out if there is a hurricane projected to hit our marina.

Obviously this is the opposite direction most loopers follow. Our boat can do 10kts and we know all about locking through. We know there is a good amount of tug and barge traffic to deal with. We don't know if the cruising and sights along the way will be worth fighting the current.

Is this a dumb idea???

Wifey B: Nice pleasant cruise. Demopolis is really the first place to enjoy time if you spend it there, but some other decent towns along the way, such as Columbus. Then great waters if you make it to Bay Springs and on to Lake Pickwick. :)

No problem going the wrong way except when snows melting or flooding sending debris down, but that's typically early spring and not every year. :confused:

As to cruising and sights, most don't look at them and they are much the same for many miles, but there's a lot of nice secluded scenery as a contrast to what you see on either end. :D

As to hurricane escape, timing is everything. Locks will start closing at some point in the event of a storm. :nonono:

Yes. Locks closing is a big issue. Thanks for clarifying that going against the current is not a show-stopper.

We went up that direction in our Mainship Pilot 34 last year. We purchased the boat in Stuart, FL and sailed all the way up to Lake Guntersville in Scottsboro, AL. Took 17 days and I wish we had been able to go slower and enjoy the view a bit more. Be sure to have enough fuel to get you to the next place with diesel. The first several hundred miles north from Mobile has a limited selection of fuel stops. But otherwise a very pleasant trip and we would do it again.

We are doing exactly that the end of this month.

It will allow us some personal time and is a good place to moth ball the boat for a couple months.

Check the hydrological charts on NOAA site. Times of rain will result in high/fast waters…you can buck up to a 3-4 knot current when it’s really flowing. More normal flow is 1-2 knots. A lot of log debris also occurs during high water and immediately following as material gets pulled out of the flood plains. We went from homeport to Chattanooga in an 8 knot trawler but only made about 6-7 kts on average during normal flow. It took 9 long days. 3 to Demopolis, 3 more to Florence AL then 3 more to Nooga.

1st night on hook in tennsaw cutoff, 2nd night at Bobby’s fish amp, 3rd night at kingfisher Marina Demopolis. Long runs of 12 hour days the first 3.

Well, we are knee deep into it and have to say that the river has been less than we hoped for. People along the way are great. Once you see a mile of the river you've seen it all

Very true. Endless cutbacks, autopilot useless, numerous sand bars.

If you do it before or after Loopers. Some gorgeous anchorages. Small country marinas.

Well, we are knee deep into it and have to say that the river has been less than we hoped for. People along the way are great. Once you see a mile of the river you've seen it all
My motto is once you've seen one wave you've seen them all [emoji846].

I find the natural rivers interesting, and play little games to spend as much time in slack current as possible. You can gain a knot or more vs steaming up the middle. The sandbars are in very predictable locations.

I went north from Mobile Feb 1 this year. Had the rivers pretty much to myself. Took side trips to Tuscaloosa and Knoxville en route to Chicago. Great trip.

But I get it's not everyone's thing.

Where are you now?

Last edited:
My motto is once you've seen one wave you've seen them all [emoji846].

I find the natural rivers interesting, and play little games to spend as much time in slack current as possible. You can gain a knot or more vs steaming up the middle. The sandbars are in very predictable locations.

I went north from Mobile Feb 1 this year. Had the rivers pretty much to myself. Took side trips to Tuscaloosa and Knoxville en route to Chicago. Great trip.

But I get it's not everyone's thing.

Where are you now?
Compared to running the Jersey Shore or the Lower Chesapeake above Norfolk or the Delaware River or the several sounds along the ICW, the inland rivers are wonderful. In fact, we enjoyed them for what they are, quiet, generally scenic, and easy to navigate.

Back
Top Bottom