Planning Spring cruise - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hello fellow TFers!
I am planning my next spring cruise and will need some advice.
Initially I was planning to go down rideau waterway to Kingston Ontario, then to Trenton by the North Passage, and up the Trent Severn to Georgian bay. We are planning a month cruise from May 19th to June 18th but we do not want to cruise 12h a day and would like to enjoy it.
To go south accross the Rideau waterway to Kingston will take me around 6 day (did it last year in the opposite direction).
Now when I am looking at the Trent Severn, and start planning my trip step by step I realize that I may be a bit optimist to think doing Trent Severn round trip in 2 weeks.
Do you think I can cross Trent Severn one way in less than 7 days? If yes would it be a race or an enjoyable trip. In a perfect world I would like to spend 1 day in Georgian Bay before going back.
If you have any advice regarding Trent Severn it would be really appreciated!

Regards,

L.

One day for Georgian Bay is like trying to see Europe in 1 week - not enjoyable!

If your boat can be trucked spend the time available in Georgian Bay and send it back home by truck! Or leave it in Georgian Bay for the next season.

Norlund Mainship Pilot 34
Bay Port, Midland

Really tough to do the TS in one week. When we did it we took a little over two weeks in one direction.

Unfortunatly our boat would be hard to truck moreover the issue would be permit for transportation. I agree so many things to see in georgian bay, went there 2 years ago and was amazed.
However, our goal this year would be intracoastal cruise as we won't have enough time to spend a week in great lake. But if my boss is your friend you could help me to convince him I must get 4 vacation weeks :D

One other thing to consider this year is the free Canada parks pass this year. I'm sure with this free pass there will be a lot more traffic and more inexperienced boaters using the locks. I'm sure you would want to add time for this.

Greetings,
M. L_t. As has been mentioned, from where you are to Georgian Bay and back in a month will be a marathon. Have you considered going to Montreal and then UP the St. Lawrence to Kingston and beyond. A bit longer but once above Iroquois it's a straight run to Trenton with no locks. Might save some time IF your determined to get to GB and back. Extra fuel needed because of going against the current in the St. Lawrence.

Thank you for your input, we will change our plan and will just do a small part on the Trent-Severn and focus more on Rideau, Kingston and Prince Edward county area. I guess we will have plenty of thing to keep us busy in these areas :)
I am not too worried about the traffic at that time as I planned to start my trip as soon as the waterway opens and it is early in the season. Last year we crossed the Rideau at the same period and there was almost nobody.
Looks like the nicest part of the Trent-Severn is beyond Rice lake to Georgian Bay. How is the section between Trenton and Rice Lake? Does it worth to push to go there? How about the Prince Edward County area? Never been there so don't know what to expect exactly.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. From what I dimly recall, the starting section from Trenton is much like the Rideau (farmland) and the ending section is pure Canadian Shield (craggy granite, rock and fir trees). I can't remember where it switches over but that's for you to find out....ALL very pretty.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. From what I dimly recall, the starting section from Trenton is much like the Rideau (farmland) and the ending section is pure Canadian Shield (craggy granite, rock and fir trees). I can't remember where it switches over but that's for you to find out....ALL very pretty.

Thank you very much !

Back
Top Bottom