Advice on cruising to Cape Vincent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richter24

Vessel Name
Dream Weaver
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36DC
We are planning our first long trip with our 36' trawler. And looking for route advice to go from Sodus Bay or Oswego NY to Cape Vincent, NY in lake Ontario. Thank you in advance for your help. Jim

From either Sodus Bay or Oswego it's pretty much a straight shot across the lake to the St. Lawrence River, then just a little bit up the river to Cape Vincent.

We'll be heading up to the Thousand Islands for a week or so at some point this summer (leaving from Rochester). Cape Vincent will likely be our last stop before the trip home. Feel free to ask anything in case I've already come up with anything in my planning that might be useful to you.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 24. Sodus to Cape Vincent? Out of the harbor and turn right about 68 statute miles. As Mr. rs states, it's pretty well a straight shot. From Oswego it's about 48 statue miles. Again, out of the harbor and turn right. Just don't hit any of the Galoo islands along the way in either case.

If you are looking for a stop along the way Sackets Hbr is a great small town. Lots of history, restaurants, and a brewery within walking distance.
I'm assuming you will continue E in the 1,000 Is - dont miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton. It is a must see and will consume the better part of a day.
We usually stay at Keewaydin State Park Marina close to Alex Bay fairly nice marina and a large pool in the park.
Boldt Castle an interesting stop - the boat house is a separate but worthwhile addition. Singer Castle a little further E is less known but very interesting and still operates as a B&B.

If you are looking for a stop along the way Sackets Hbr is a great small town. Lots of history, restaurants, and a brewery within walking distance.
I'm assuming you will continue E in the 1,000 Is - dont miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton. It is a must see and will consume the better part of a day.
We usually stay at Keewaydin State Park Marina close to Alex Bay fairly nice marina and a large pool in the park.
Boldt Castle an interesting stop - the boat house is a separate but worthwhile addition. Singer Castle a little further E is less known but very interesting and still operates as a B&B.

All solid advice here. Another vote for Sackets Harbor.

I was pretty wowed by that area. Stopped by Boldt Castle in my boat. A lot of interesting history that I knew nothing about. And the return trip up the north side was nice too.

Back
Top Bottom