Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #1

City: Sodus Bay NY
Vessel Name: Dream Weaver
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36DC
Advice on cruising to Cape Vincent

We are planning our first long trip with our 36' trawler. And looking for route advice to go from Sodus Bay or Oswego NY to Cape Vincent, NY in lake Ontario. Thank you in advance for your help. Jim
richter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
From either Sodus Bay or Oswego it's pretty much a straight shot across the lake to the St. Lawrence River, then just a little bit up the river to Cape Vincent.

We'll be heading up to the Thousand Islands for a week or so at some point this summer (leaving from Rochester). Cape Vincent will likely be our last stop before the trip home. Feel free to ask anything in case I've already come up with anything in my planning that might be useful to you.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 24. Sodus to Cape Vincent? Out of the harbor and turn right about 68 statute miles. As Mr. rs states, it's pretty well a straight shot. From Oswego it's about 48 statue miles. Again, out of the harbor and turn right. Just don't hit any of the Galoo islands along the way in either case.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If you are looking for a stop along the way Sackets Hbr is a great small town. Lots of history, restaurants, and a brewery within walking distance.
I'm assuming you will continue E in the 1,000 Is - dont miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton. It is a must see and will consume the better part of a day.
We usually stay at Keewaydin State Park Marina close to Alex Bay fairly nice marina and a large pool in the park.
Boldt Castle an interesting stop - the boat house is a separate but worthwhile addition. Singer Castle a little further E is less known but very interesting and still operates as a B&B.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you are looking for a stop along the way Sackets Hbr is a great small town. Lots of history, restaurants, and a brewery within walking distance.
I'm assuming you will continue E in the 1,000 Is - dont miss the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton. It is a must see and will consume the better part of a day.
We usually stay at Keewaydin State Park Marina close to Alex Bay fairly nice marina and a large pool in the park.
Boldt Castle an interesting stop - the boat house is a separate but worthwhile addition. Singer Castle a little further E is less known but very interesting and still operates as a B&B.
All solid advice here. Another vote for Sackets Harbor.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I was pretty wowed by that area. Stopped by Boldt Castle in my boat. A lot of interesting history that I knew nothing about. And the return trip up the north side was nice too.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote