Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gave someone a link to this page and realized I never posted any pictures of my cushions. I got all my cushions back about 6 months ago and now there in the house waiting me to make them a home. Here they are. *These are before fire pictures of the cushions

img_78264_0_c2abb259b5e737967ad085d6c8c90efc.jpg
These are pictures of the "new" cushions.*

img_78264_1_adcf7bd80856fa55d36218e980891661.jpg

img_78264_2_c1ded725a382c614fa4864ac877ddad9.jpg

I read with envy you guys that use propane for refrigeration. We have propane for cooking only on Northstar. Here in the PNW,*marine insurance underwriters will not allow use of propane refrigerators. How do you*get around this one?**

Ok guys and gals, finally have an update. I got everything running but the port transmission doesn't build up pressure. Well, doing the wrong thing like I always do I yanked the trans. out and had it rebuilt. I chickened out on the install and hired a mechanic to install it and he said I probably wasted my money and the problem was in the pump. Oh well... Good news, sooner or later that babies going to turn. Here are some pictures of the fresh transmission and others as well.
img_95484_0_824ec759aac24723668b0414a658b04f.jpg

Here are the pictures of the patched and pressure tested starboard side fuel tanks
img_95484_1_c6b8fd86fce9d5a498f89fd61997c428.jpg

This is the freshened up area where the tanks will go. I was told to put them on Butal N rubber strips to prevent corrosion in the future, so that's what the black strips are.
img_95484_2_86591b8261b1d8e4ca2633b0ea33d12f.jpg

This is the picture of the starboard motor all clean and primed. I was going to paint it but the tx. took over priorities.
img_95484_3_73510b127a45b4936807962f73f6e1e3.jpg

VERY nice! Are you gonna paint the tranny?

VERY nice! Are you gonna paint the tranny?
Oh yea,,,I was in the process of painting both motors and transmissions but the port lost pressure. Well, I talked to the mechanic this morning and he said the pump needs new springs and the bypass valve is has trash in it. Big money=never forget lesson. The pump is in the shop and the transmission is rebuilt. One thing I don't need to worry about for a while.

Looking good Paul. The lessons that smack the wallet are the ones I never forget either, we all make them.

I read with envy you guys that use propane for refrigeration. We have propane for cooking only on Northstar. Here in the PNW,*marine insurance underwriters will not allow use of propane refrigerators. How do you*get around this one?**

I am located in BC. But there are underwriters that do insure LPG fridges here on this coast. As an example Canoe Cove factory installed LPG fridges on lots of there vessels that are still surveyed and insured. Some "accredited surveyors" however cant seem to get there head around such things. Thats more the issue !!!!!!!!!!!

Properly installed there are underwriters insuring such. Just ask someone with an LPG fridge that has insurance.

Just an FYI

The lessons that smack the wallet are the ones I never forget either
Well, I got off of the phone with the shop and they said my pump was no good. Bearings shot, shaft pitted...he said it looks like it went underwater. Jeez, I don't even want the next call. I asked if they would put a pump on layaway. I think I'm going to work on the genset that overheats, get my mind off of this debacle.

Well, I got off of the phone with the shop and they said my pump was no good. Bearings shot, shaft pitted...he said it looks like it went underwater. Jeez, I don't even want the next call. I asked if they would put a pump on layaway. I think I'm going to work on the genset that overheats, get my mind off of this debacle.
Hey Paul, we use Hader Industries for reman pumps and hydraulic cylinders. If you want a second price let me know and I can give you contact info. What drives the pump?

Hello, I thought I would post some updated pictures of the Rose. I've finally dug all the burn out and the topside is sealed and the bilge is painted. Check it out.
Oh yea, up date on the tinned wire thread. I've actually hired an electrician that will be doing the work with marine wire and to ABYC standards.. It may take a while but it will be right.
img_135369_0_a6a82d04b8ba16248117696e5697e64d.jpg

img_135369_1_3a6b19957680e760195c43979572017e.jpg

And the bilge:
img_135369_2_9bea0f99a4fd87e11b8868b4d12c461f.jpg

img_135369_3_bd3821b36e7e36eec08c7755270b6a07.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great Paul, the Rose is a lucky lady to have you so dedicated to bringing her back.

Man, that looks great.
Still looking forward to meeting you and Cajun Rose this year in Biloxi.
The Admiral was normally in excellent health until this past year. This has caused some delays in our trip. We are now shooting for starting out of Galveston Bay between April 1 and April 15. Should hit Biloxi area about 4 weeks later with many stop-overs along the way to meet old friends and some new ones I have met on here.
Our goal is to be free of Hurricane territory by July 1. That should put us in Northeast Ms./NW Al.

Something we have done on our 90/90 (33ft LOA) is to have multiple tank spaces (3 per side) that hold 35Gal flex tanks.

Going to the Bahamas all 6 water bag tanks are filled with nice Cape Coral RO that lasts .

Wintering in NYC iced in 8 inches, the 6 diesel tanks are used instead.

200G of whichever is useable , with out talking up the internal volume for 400G of tanks.

Tank volume is a concern on small cruisers.

Man I can't believe it's been this long with no progress but all that is about to change. I've got a engine guy starting on the port dd to fix a leak in the head and run the rack on both before I paint them. Thanks to the current administration there are plenty of highly skilled fiberglass workers out of a job locally so I am going to finish all the fiberglass work. I can't wait to get her in the water and get to some cruising.

Man I can't believe it's been this long with no progress but all that is about to change. I've got a engine guy starting on the port dd to fix a leak in the head and run the rack on both before I paint them. Thanks to the current administration there are plenty of highly skilled fiberglass workers out of a job locally so I am going to finish all the fiberglass work. I can't wait to get her in the water and get to some cruising.

Well, I must say, it's about time, Paul. What do you project guys think we have to do when you're not working?:D Looking forward to you getting your boat back out to the Chandeleurs.:thumb:

Thanks for the update Paul, now how about some pictures? :flowers:

I love the lines of the Rose and the purpose for which she is being resurrected. :thumb::thumb:

Great Swampu glad to see you back at it . Keep us updated .

Here are some updates on the electrical system. I have had an electrician install the batteries, switches and wiring for the gensets and the mains. The gensets have each a dedicated group 27 battery with a trickle charger for each battery. On/off switch and then a genset select switch in the bilge. I did this on purpose to force myself to check the fluids and condition of the genset before I swap units. They will have remote starts.
img_217642_0_b385ceea80155825951f88a95f7bc408.jpg

img_217642_1_9a458b3e69fdbb52445b18340ccb447e.jpg

img_217642_2_d64be207d269b64d5f353f6a984cb8f3.jpg

img_217642_3_7db47ff41707b34992278fa80dd352a4.jpg

Now for the mains. We (I built the platform) installed an 80 amp Newmar charger which can handle 3 banks of batteries. Each main has a 2 (8d) battery box with breaker, on/off switch and a parallel on/off switch. The parallel also has a solenoid which can be operated from the helm (when we get to that point). There are also start and stop buttons mounted next to each engine for operation in the engine room. Charger is charging now and the 8d's will finally be getting a good charge. I've been trying to top them off with car chargers for the last couple of years. I hope I haven't damaged them beyond useful life. I plan on replacing them with 4 new batteries when I get closer to using the boat full time.
img_217642_4_ece9574215438687f0f510bc11692165.jpg

img_217642_5_4fdd1d75814bf1c0efe5463d8247ad8a.jpg

img_217642_6_18552d1d7a428a02e384b79f323466d1.jpg

img_217642_7_0783040edf34a8fc17a70e10670765c5.jpg

img_217642_8_2d0b828e383043d0ec5355a7e5cf5273.jpg

Looks nice Paul . What a difference a real electrician can make with boat wiring . soo much neater than a carpenter trying to do it . I would like to turn a real electrician loose in mine and let him spruce my wiring up .

Looks better and I am not as worried as I would be about something shorting out and cooking my timbers. Next step is going to be the main panels and running power to the helm.. The missing breaker on a few of the pictures is where the 100 amp circuit breaker will go for the dc to the panel.

Swampu

One thing that I saw no comments on was the pre-wiring for audio/video and possibly alarms. It is easy to do before trim but a pain as well as a mess to do afterward. With that size of boat and the multiple passengers you may have at least one venu suitable for a drop down screen and projection type home theatre. The pre-wire does not commit you to anything but even leaving some type of channel so this could be done has merit.

On the question of power, I had propane on my last boat and loved it but a retrofit on my existing boat has venting issues which are much easier to solve when at your stage.

Bob, All good advice. I would like to install an apple hard drive with remote monitors for music. I tunes and I tv seem to work well but I just haven't thought a lot about it. I would probably build a cabinet behind the helm that the tv will drop into, prewiring for surround sound is a must and cameras will be integral in the engine room checking vitals, engine oil "catch", belts, genset ir camera's and smoke and high water alarms. I would like to use the service (alarm service) that utilizes cell technology which you can monitor from your smart phone. I can't wait to get to that part of the build. Propane will probably be for cooking only after the thread on on demand kinda swaying my mind.

With that kind of set up a small amount of planning could be helpful. Make sure you have some space where at least the front 3 speakers can fit such that they have the centers generally pointed toward the audience. Also leave some room (and it doesn't so much matter where)for a powered sub
Check if your apple tv produces at least 720p or it will look crappy on a big screen
BTW my propane suggestion was more for the frig than the stove as it runs quietly all the time but needs to be vented.

Ok....Its been a long time since my last update. The Rose had a few minor set backs. 3 of the 6 injectors were bad on the starboard engine and I've got a bad liner in the #6 cylinder on the port engine. The injectors are replaced in the starboard engine and she purrs like a kitten. The mechanic is going to fix the other soon. I was moving right along and this kind of set me back about 6 months but hopefully some progression is ahead instead of the regression of the past year. I'll keep updates coming...Paul

Welcome back Paul .Great to hear from you again .

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom