Willard 36 Rebuild & Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I’ve seen the Silverado in Craig. Posted a pic of her Navy anchor some years ago.

Don’t know about the Julia K but I’ll check on her when I get home to the computer .. where most of my pictures are.

S of F I’m not a new guy but I’ve not heard of a sneaker .. boat.

And when she's not in Port Angeles, Silverado spends the rest of the winter at Dream Catcher's winter home, Liberty Bay Marina in Poulsbo.

Richard.....the last time I saw you was in Craig, with Silverado, in 2018. Question: The captain's personal boat is an older sportfish like mine built by Kong & Halvorson. Have you seen a boat like that in Poulsbo? Just curious.

Hi Ken,

Not sure if I have seen that one. (Silverado is obvious)

Ken,
Is it either one of these?

Attachments

• DSCF1010 copy 4.jpg
    DSCF1010 copy 4.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1009 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1009 copy 3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 43
No, neither of them. Julie K looks bigger and more massive than the boat on the left. Until a couple years ago it had a different name and had Tenakee Springs AK on the transom, owned by a guy named Pat who wintered the boat in Bham. I forget the prior boat name unfortunately.

MVW, when do you plan on getting out of the yard? Are you heading north at that point?

I have to say that the 36 Willard is an extremely good looking vessel afloat. In profile the balance is perfect even with a FB, much easier on the eye than a lot of these modern 36 - 42 designs of today.

Yes I’ve seen the Silverado in Craig. Posted a pic of her Navy anchor some years ago.

Don’t know about the Julia K but I’ll check on her when I get home to the computer .. where most of my pictures are.

S of F I’m not a new guy but I’ve not heard of a sneaker .. boat.

Sneaker boat refers to the european looking stacked deck type boats...Big in back, low in front..

MVW, when do you plan on getting out of the yard? Are you heading north at that point?
Interestingly, I just got off the phone with Mario, owner and operations manager at Niza Marine in Ensenada. Stabilizers were installed this past week, engine and generator install start next week. Electrician has been working on rewiring.

To answer your question, supposedly she'll be sprayed in about 3 weeks, and the bottom paint completed. Fingers crossed, splashed in early April. But there will still be a lot of interior work to be done, but will save $1k/month on yard fees. Some things are a bargain in Mexico, other things are not. Bottom jobs and yard fees are only so-so bargains.

Attached pictures are from today.

Other pictures are of windows. I decided to have new windows fiberglassed in. They should be about twice as strong as the old windows that are simple plastic clamp-frames. They should also be very water tight. This is one of the items I didn't anticipate but because labor was affordable, I went ahead and did. Three front windows you see in the pics plus two fairly large windows on either side. $3k (plus glass and hardware) to have all replaced.

Also, pics of a propane box I recently added to the top deck. This will also be a "counter" next to my grilling station. You can see the portside bench forward of the box. This was $1k addition to have glassed in place, which was actually just a wee bit more than purchasing two horizontal propane tanks placed in the bench-storage, my original plan

Next picture is underside of aft deck extension. To brace this, a beefy piece of SS T-bar will be placed with "T" facing up into the slot. This will provide structure support for dingy overhead.

Final Pic is a screen shot of video he sent. Hull gate has been reversed - it used to swing outward instead of inward. Two issues with that. First, safety issue if you lean against it. Second and more importantly for me, having it swing out and against hull prevented attachment of a beefy rubrail as it would interfere with the door operation unless I cut the rubrail very short or lowered it down. Total cost of this work was $1200 - there was quite a bit of fairing to be done on the inside. IMG-20200229-WA0001.jpegIMG-20200229-WA0002.jpegIMG-20200229-WA0004.jpgIMG-20200229-WA0000.jpgScreenshot_20200229-203442__01.jpeg

Sneaker boat refers to the european looking stacked deck type boats...Big in back, low in front..

Got it Mr Fortune,
I wasn’t embarrassed to ask that question as I knew there were many others wondering what it was. Thanks for the kind of great answers you’re known for.

Some background on transom door openings. Outward opening typically came from sportfishers who back down and were meant to keep water out of the cockpit. They were not originally coaming height and were for billfish and tuna. They later became full transom height and allowed walk through. A dual latch lock system would make them people proof when it is forgotten that it is left open. They also include a margin of safety in motor yachts when faced with steep breaking seas on the transom, it is safer to have them open outward from a seakeeping perspective with proper cockpit scuppers.

Having them open inward resolves any inadvertent passenger issues, especially those who are not familiar with boats in general.

My favorite solution is to have a pantograph door with a lift up coaming section, but is a challenging situation with a beautiful curved transom such as yours.

Last edited:
Some background on transom door openings. Outward opening typically came from sportfishers who back down and were meant to keep water out of the cockpit. They were not originally coaming height and were for billfish and tuna. They later became full transom height and allowed walk through. A dual latch lock system would make them people proof when it is forgotten that it is left open. They also include a margin of safety in motor yachts when faced with steep breaking seas on the transom, it is safer to have them open outward from a seakeeping perspective with proper cockpit scuppers.

Having them open inward resolves any inadvertent passenger issues, especially those who are not familiar with boats in general.

My favorite solution is to have a pantograph door with a lift up coaming section, but is a challenging situation with a beautiful curved transom such as yours.
Interesting. Didn't know there was history around opening of a hull gate. I was in Key West recently and went through the local museum. Hemmingway's "Pilar " was a 38 foot sport fisher built by Wheeler. He had it modified with a roller across the transom so he could drag marlin over it more easily. The transom was also lowered substantially. Beautiful boat. Hemingway also pioneered the pump and reel method of bringing in a fish quickly. Prior practice was to let it run very long distances and just slowly retrieve the fish. Unfortunately, sharks would take their share along the way.

Back to the hull gate on Weebles - biggest pain with it opening outward is that, unless fastened at dock, would sometimes swing outwards with roll of boat. West coast has floating docks almost exclusively so the door would catch in the dock finger. Hinges were separable so the door would lift off. That God it was foam cored and floated. Would have been lost long ago.

Looks like you are having some great improvements done. Give me a ping if you head up to San Diego when you are done so I can check her out.

Last edited:
W36 vega

Noticed at beginning of thread when you guys were talking bout the other w36 sedan with a Detroit saying it was unusual hull number 12 also has a Detroit 453n which I'm beginning to like more and more,i know people say they are outdated,but the 453 in broadbill is an awsome engine,I only have put about 200 miles under her keel but that has been since Halloween,by my calculations and the previous caretaker at 1700 I'm getting 8kts and burning about 2 gallons an hour,still not to bad for an old 2 stroke,plus it sounds so good

Hey lost,
When a happy skipper has a good running DD he’s even happier.
You won’t need it but good luck.
Essex on our east coast or west?

Broadbill

Essex Massachusetts,east coast the boat is in Gloucester Massachusetts now

Back
Top Bottom