Old 08-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #101
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Progress continues, but it feels so slow. Prep work is in some stage of the process on almost every surface of the hull, rotating around as things cure and paint dries. Basically complete with prep on the starboard side now and ready for shiny paint, not sure when I'll actually paint the sides with the final paint.

Since I've never rolled and tipped before I decided to get some practice on some less visible pieces. I have some panels that are on the interior of the flybridge that are removed for wiring access and they needed to be prepped and painted before they get reinstalled. I'm pretty happy with the result. Reflection is the boatyard neighbors sailboat.

sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #102
Guru

City: US PNW
Wow, that looks great!
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Looks great, what paint are you using?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #104
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
That came out great!
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Looks great, what paint are you using?
Thank you for all the positive comments!

I'm using Interlux for the finish paint. It's 3 coats of Interlux Prime Kote epoxy primer, sanded to 220, then 2 coats of Interlux Perfection rolled on with a foam roller and tipped with a badger hair brush.

I had quite a bit of dust settle on it, and I didn't strain the paint so I did get a few 'chunkies' that you can see when you get up really close to it (inches). Straining the paint and doing some dust control prior to painting will help on subsequent painting sessions for those issues.

The finish is good, I was hoping for the paint to lay down a bit better than it did, the weather here is at the upper end of the acceptable temperature range and I think that's limiting the flow of the paint. I accidentally over-thinned the first coat and that didn't help.

I'd say the surface finish is close to a factory automotive paint job. I was hoping it would be a little closer to a 'custom' paint job and a true mirror finish!
Old 08-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

We rolled and tipped a previous boat when we lived in Tucson. It was a pain since we had to get up at 4AM in order for the temperature to be low enough for the paint to flow after tipping. But the end result was magnificent, well worth the effort and tears...
Old 08-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
We rolled and tipped a previous boat when we lived in Tucson. It was a pain since we had to get up at 4AM in order for the temperature to be low enough for the paint to flow after tipping. But the end result was magnificent, well worth the effort and tears...
I showed up at 5 AM to put on a coat and everything was wet with dew, painting not possible. The small panels I could have managed indoors somewhere but I wanted to adhere to the same restrictions I have on the larger hull to see how things worked.

By the time the dew was dry it was too hot to paint. So I'm limited to evening because of the dew, late enough to get the temp lowered but not so late that I risk the dew settling on it before it cures enough to handle some moisture. Being indoors would make things a lot easier (in some ways) and help mitigate weather issues, but not a possibility in this situation.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

The boat we rolled and tipped was outdoors so the weather could be a PITA indeed. However dew wasn’t usually a problem since it was in Tucson where the humidity was around 7 to 10% most of the time. We sprayed our current boat and it was indoors in a barn. Way easier to work on and the painting went well after I covered the 3 other boats that were in the barn so they wouldn’t get overspray on them. Actually I probably didn’t need to cover them but I was afraid not to.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #109
Guru

Quote:
The boat we rolled and tipped was outdoors so the weather could be a PITA indeed. However dew wasn’t usually a problem since it was in Tucson where the humidity was around 7 to 10% most of the time. We sprayed our current boat and it was indoors in a barn. Way easier to work on and the painting went well after I covered the 3 other boats that were in the barn so they wouldn’t get overspray on them. Actually I probably didn’t need to cover them but I was afraid not to.
What paint did you roll and tip with?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

It was the Interlux 2part polyurethane that came before Perfection, don’t recall the name right now. This was a long time ago, before 94. It could be very touchy about temp. They said below 85 and they meant it. And we were in Tucson where some nights it never got down to 85...
Old 08-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #111
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I find 2 part perfection tips best when you use 11% thinner in the mix.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #112
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
It was the Interlux 2part polyurethane that came before Perfection, don’t recall the name right now.
Might have been Interthane? That popped into my head anyway.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #113
Guru

The paint prep process continues. I've pulled all the cabin windows and have been sanding and prepping all of the cabin surfaces for primer. The windows were bedded with Butyl which made removal nice and easy, they will be re-installed with the same. Seems like a never ending process!

Old 09-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Might have been Interthane? That popped into my head anyway.
That sounds like it. Good memory.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #115

City: Seattle
What was the culprit on your stuck packing gland?
What kind of corrosion was in there?
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #116
Guru

The bronze of the packing nut was corroded and had expanded the I.D. enough that it was tight to the shaft. I ended up carefully cutting it off, the stainless shaft was in good shape. Not a fun job, I'm glad it's done.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #117
Guru

Starting with final paint in some areas, working from the top down, hopefully that helps prevent any drips or drops on lower sections.

I am not able to get Interlux Perfection in any kind of quantity. I had Jet Black on backorder for 3 months which I want to use for trim color, and have had trouble getting more than 1 or 2 quarts of the white at a time. I talked to Interlux directly and was told that there are supply chain issues and they are not able to make some colors right now, and others are in limited production. Given that I faced waiting until more became available or switching to something I can get now. Given that the weather won't hold out much longer for painting, I decided to switch.

I switched to Alexseal Topcoat 501. I like the product quite a bit and it lays down very nicely, plus they have a new additive that allows you to roll without tipping. This has made things quite a bit easier. The DI (Definition of Image) is pretty good, I mean I'd always like it better and it is not as smooth as polished gel coat, but it's at least as good as the Perfection was. I am putting three coats and this paint can be buffed/polished so at some point in the future, I might polish it to get it looking even smoother, but for now I'm going with it as is lays down on it's own.

The process I'm using is 3 coats of the Alexseal finish primer, sanded to 320 to remove the eggshell finish, then 3 coats of the topcoat sanded to 400 between coats (all per Alexseal directions). This picture is after 2 coats, one more to go. The eyebrow in the lower part of the picture is still primer.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Looks very nice, good work.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #119
Guru

The third and final coat of Alexseal went on the flybridge surround. One coat on the eyebrow now, accent color to come this week. The fairing job isn't perfect, but the weather isn't going to hold out much longer for me to do this kind of work outdoors. The Alexseal is fairly picky about the conditions, wind and excessive humidity detract from the finish quality. The third coat went on in almost perfect conditions and it looks pretty good.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

I know how much work this is. We rolled and tipped a 30’ boat in Tucson. The weather made it very difficult to do in that it got over 85 degrees by 6AM. We had to be done painting by then. Yours looks beautiful.