Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #101
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
are you sealing the plywood before you put it on? I know nothinh about this type of construction but i have used steam to make wood take diferent shapes and releave stress before mounting wooden parts. I was wondering if you were mounting the plywood un sealed maybe you could build a steam box and make the plywood a bit more flexible before forcing it to conform to a curve. Then when it drys it will have set with that shape.
Not sure if this idea has any merit but just a thought.
God speed mate
Hi Bfloyd,
As you've discovered, each sheet is pre-coated with 3ltrs of high solids epoxy. Steaming the boards will not achieve anything in this case but thanks for suggesting it tho!
I will have to build the frame for the superstructure before moulding/forcing/bending the ply on the hull sides. I underestimated the forces and whilst the ply did bend fine, it was too much for the half arsed braces I put in and, well, yeah it didn't turn out how I'd planned.

Cheers anyway for your suggestion

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #102
Guru

Day 18 today. The last day of my holidays and last day of getting dirty before I go back to sitting in my Air-conditioned office lol so she'll slow down a bit now as ill be back to only working on her on Saturdays.

Today a mate and I put the starboard hull panels on. After yesterday's effort I was a bit hesitant but they went on nicely and a beautiful curve emerged.

I jumped up on the floor joists and started to dream about the day of splash down lol. Daggy I know but oh well lol.

There are showers rolling in over the next few days "apparently" so I fitted some polycarbonate roof sheets on the floor joists to stop any water getting in.

I also soaked the end of the keel with a bit of left over high strength epoxy glue and chucked a clamp on where the rudder will sit as it was damaged during the move so I wanted to strengthen it

So yeah that's what i did today

Cheers

Hendo
Attached Thumbnails
image-3896474307.jpg   image-2841226699.jpg   image-969232678.jpg   image-626616152.jpg   image-3992199885.jpg  

image-1941981065.jpg   image-1292136445.jpg   image-1985314540.jpg   image-367868699.jpg   image-1043339732.jpg  

image-426896991.jpg   image-2408077776.jpg   image-2962998555.jpg   image-1997852609.jpg   image-1738206582.jpg  

image-1601898611.jpg   image-691339152.jpg   image-4202262735.jpg   image-586954609.jpg   image-3479686225.jpg  

image-1654381521.jpg   image-3110828252.jpg   image-1891362967.jpg   image-74291439.jpg   image-1679771700.jpg  

image-1473719663.jpg   image-3134349827.jpg   image-2430988522.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #103
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Heya Art.
Thanks for your generosity and support. Ill show your pressure gun to a few mates that are still in the trade and hopefully you'll get some sales from it. I can be your Australian Distributer :-)

I don't know about being a star attraction tho. It's good to see a few regular people commenting and i like it when people leave comments and hopefully I can make some friends out of this.

The main reason I'm going to the effort of posting up here on TF is to show anyone thinking about rebuilding an old timber boat how I am doing it and also show them it's not that hard and to give people a bit of motivation about projects on their boats.

I hope the weather turns out great for you and the admiral. I wanna see pics tho! I don't care if its on here or on your Facebook page! That's what gives me my motivation lol

Cheers mate

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner
Yo Hondo

As sun rises and we split to spend couple days playing on our Tolly getting her ready for 2013, rain is now planned for all weekend - booo. Also, next weekend may not be available any longer due to family obligation that came up. Some weekend soon though! - Yea And that's da way it goes!! Afraid not too many new TF picts will come from me (maybe a couple), I'm not as into taking picts such as Mark and Marin and you and some others. Facebook - I seldom enter anything myself, but glad to see posts from friends!

Thanks for going to show Pressure Gun around. Mostly I want it to assist your boat restoration efforts. Be glad to have you as some sort of Aussie distributor - I'm currently working toward deals with a international distributors. Hope to have EZ Build Masonry System tool sales Go Viral - so to say. lol

Your boat repair motivation is exemplary. Your job is maybe "not that hard" to you, but - to most??

You are a Star - bask in the TF limelight, while you can! I consider you a friend and hope to meet in person some day.

Cheers and Happy Boat Daze!! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #104
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Hey hondo, How snug a fit do you have on your fuel tanks.
When I rebuilt my deck I found that the fuel tanks were set in an expanding foam of some sort. The idea being, you don't want them moving.
From the pic they didn't look real secure. setting on those 4x4's
Of course it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Just a thought.

sd
Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #105
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
When you get to the bow you may find that two thinner sheets of plywood will be easier to bend and make the turn of the hull. Put one layer on and then apply a layer of expoxie and laminate the second layer.Larry
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #106
Guru

City: coos bay
well Hendo, you sure have opened my eyes. Thank you sir. Cant wait to see the videos of the comming sea trials
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Yo Hondo

As sun rises and we split to spend couple days playing on our Tolly getting her ready for 2013, rain is now planned for all weekend - booo. Also, next weekend may not be available any longer due to family obligation that came up. Some weekend soon though! - Yea And that's da way it goes!! Afraid not too many new TF picts will come from me (maybe a couple), I'm not as into taking picts such as Mark and Marin and you and some others. Facebook - I seldom enter anything myself, but glad to see posts from friends!

Thanks for going to show Pressure Gun around. Mostly I want it to assist your boat restoration efforts. Be glad to have you as some sort of Aussie distributor - I'm currently working toward deals with a international distributors. Hope to have EZ Build Masonry System tool sales Go Viral - so to say. lol

Your boat repair motivation is exemplary. Your job is maybe "not that hard" to you, but - to most??

You are a Star - bask in the TF limelight, while you can! I consider you a friend and hope to meet in person some day.

Cheers and Happy Boat Daze!! - Art
:-D

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Hey hondo, How snug a fit do you have on your fuel tanks.
When I rebuilt my deck I found that the fuel tanks were set in an expanding foam of some sort. The idea being, you don't want them moving.
From the pic they didn't look real secure. setting on those 4x4's
Of course it is hard to tell from the pictures.
Just a thought.

sd
Hey SD
Thanks for your comment mate. At the moment the tank is not very snug at all. It's in place atm because I am ply sheeting but that's all really. I still need to move it around to so I can paint inside the hull before the floor sheets go on. I'll be using two pack commercial grade marine paint inside the hull so I would like some fresh air so I don't drift off with the fairies haha.

The tank will ultimately rest on the 100x50 jarrah beams as currently seen. I will run two straps over the tank to secure it to those beams but that's all. I want air circulating around the tank as its alloy and they are apparently prone to failure if there is salt water trapped on them (or so I've been told).

I will more than likely paint the tank with some sort of etch primer and top coat to minimise this as pulling the tank out once the boat is built will require a fair bit of mucking around.

Cheers again

Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #109
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
When you get to the bow you may find that two thinner sheets of plywood will be easier to bend and make the turn of the hull. Put one layer on and then apply a layer of expoxie and laminate the second layer.Larry
Hi Larry,
Thanks for the tip mate. The ply bends ok so I'm not worried about that. The failure resulted due to my excitement to get the sheets on and my failure properly brace and support the bow and ultimately, underestimating the pressures involved in the ply bending.

I have decided to build the superstructure first then sheet the bow. This will ensure there will be no twist in the bow when the sheets go on and that the load is spread evenly. I'm not keen on laminating as I've not done much of it before other than doing backing blocks and as its at the pointy end of the boat I feel it's not a good place to practice.

I will more than likely scarf two sheets together and laminate a back block on with epoxy glue and screws. My thoughts is that the sheets will spread he radius across the length of the joined sheets being 4.8mtrs long and not just one sheet at 2.4mtrs long.

Cheers for you comment and suggestion tho!

Hendo

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
well Hendo, you sure have opened my eyes. Thank you sir. Cant wait to see the videos of the comming sea trials
:-) I can't wait either mate!

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #111
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
we all can hardly wait, Hendo....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
:-) cheers for your support Pete!

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #113
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
And Hendo is certainly not waiting for anything.
Amazing progress, the old Aussie spirit of "giving it a red hot go" in action.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
And Hendo is certainly not waiting for anything.
Amazing progress, the old Aussie spirit of "giving it a red hot go" in action.
Cheers Bruce.
Certainly is hot here in WA at the moment old mate. The outside temp at the boat is 42 degrees C. Don't know what's worse, have the sweat running in our eyes or the bloody flies.
Can't do this kind of thing half arsed IMO so its a case of either get stuck in or don't bother.
Thanks for the support mate!

Cheers
Hendo

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #115
Guru

Did a little bit on the boat today but the epoxy was setting too quickly so decided to come home and have a few beers and start cleaning the engine components that I'm keeping.

After speaking to the mechanic again yesterday, we have decided that whilst the motor may still be in as new condition and with very little use, we might as well replace the main and big end bearings, replace the seals, replace the rings, replace the lift pump, starter motor, alternator, water pump, replace the two thermostats and run a new upper and lower gasket kit through her while she's apart

I've already got 6 new injectors, a new CAV injector pump and three new heat exchangers and oil coolers. Once he puts the motor back together for me, ill give it a good heavy duty clean then paint her. After that ill fit the alternator, starter motor, oil coolers and all hoses then the wiring then he'll come and get it started and set the timing on the injector pump and after that she'll go in the boat and I'm one step closer.

I did a bit of investigating last night and found a website that gave me the info on my motors age so I was stoked to find out what all the numbers meant. Im proud to say My motor is a 1991 Peterborough (England) built Perkins TW 6.354.4 Im so happy to find out its not the original motor from when she was built back in 1958 :-)

Cheers for watching this and offering up suggestions and providing comment of support. Means a lot to me boys so yeah... Thanks :-D

iPad Forum Runner
Attached Thumbnails
image-2209637905.jpg   image-1993788532.jpg   image-2042663402.jpg   image-3256722755.jpg   image-1178012641.jpg  

image-32291356.jpg   image-1651932036.jpg   image-1236214993.jpg   image-2044238131.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #116
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Makes sense renewing internals like rings and bearings with the engine pulled down, but why ancillaries like starter motor and alternator which you can get at if they fail. Unless of course the engine got wet, or something.
The 6354 is a great engine,much like a Lehman in terms of load simplicity and longevity; you are lucky having one. You can get Perkins parts, I think from Perkins Brisbane, and could surely get them from UK.
I quite like the look of the Integrity 380, but for some reason the dealer`s demo, which is for sale, has black breezeway covers aft doing very little for the appearance. The aft saloon entry glass doors open and ingeniously swing up to the "ceiling", giving a great open air feel and huge entertaining cockpit.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #117
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Bruce,
I think the Seawind 1100 had saloon doors like that.
Certainly do open up the entrance.
Perkins parts are redially available in Bris and not expensive. Apparently not cheap in the US.
If you renew the starter I would still rebuild the old one as a spare.
Starter motor is one of my must carry spare parts being a single engine man.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Makes sense renewing internals like rings and bearings with the engine pulled down, but why ancillaries like starter motor and alternator which you can get at if they fail. Unless of course the engine got wet, or something.
The 6354 is a great engine,much like a Lehman in terms of load simplicity and longevity; you are lucky having one. You can get Perkins parts, I think from Perkins Brisbane, and could surely get them from UK.
I quite like the look of the Integrity 380, but for some reason the dealer`s demo, which is for sale, has black breezeway covers aft doing very little for the appearance. The aft saloon entry glass doors open and ingeniously swing up to the "ceiling", giving a great open air feel and huge entertaining cockpit.
Hi Bruce,
She's out in the open so I may as well do the ancillaries. The motor has never been wet so Ill be cleaning those items up, get them serviced and keep them on board as spares.
There is a place called diesel spares in Welshpool, here in Perth. The shop is about 15mins from my place and sell all genuine Perkins parts :-D and at a reasonable price.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Bruce,
I think the Seawind 1100 had saloon doors like that.
Certainly do open up the entrance.
Perkins parts are redially available in Bris and not expensive. Apparently not cheap in the US.
If you renew the starter I would still rebuild the old one as a spare.
Starter motor is one of my must carry spare parts being a single engine man.
Agreed and is exactly what I will be doing :-). As well as the alternator and water pump etc

www.dieselspares.com.au which is my local parts shop is really cheap on their genuine perkins parts. They have a special on atm and are selling brand new genuine perkins water pumps for $190.00 while other perkins shops in Perth are selling them at $239.00.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 01-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #120

City: Frankston, Texas
Vessel Name: BOOMERANG
Vessel Model: Shamrock 20’ cuddy
Matt'
When you secure the fuel tank(s?), be sure to place some sort of non absorbent strips under the tanks and under the straps. I pulled an aluminum tank out of a past boat that had been foamed in place. The foam had trapped moisture and pinholed the tank. Prior to installing the new tank, I enlaged the limber holes in the stringer, sealed the wood with epoxy, then attached strips of starboard to the tanks with 3M 5200. I had tabs on the top of the tank to secure it in place.
Just a thought....
Ken
krogenken is offline   Reply With Quote