Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #81

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Fwiw, The fellow directly across from my boat also has a Canoe Cove 41 with 6V-53N Detroits. He told me he pulled his out of the boat last year and rebuilt them. This is interesting because he is in the business of manufacturing custom made heavy equipment for the forest industry. He would have had access to any number of different engines to swap in, but chose to rebuild the Detroits. The cost of a new pair of engines would likely not have been the deciding factor.
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #82
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
It's all the other BS, you have to go thru, when switching engine brands. 53 series parts should be easy to come by, and reasonable in price. If the cooling is right, these engines are very good. A pain to adjust injector rack, if a person is not doing on a regular basis.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #83
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Installation hassle might

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcod View Post
Fwiw, The fellow directly across from my boat also has a Canoe Cove 41 with 6V-53N Detroits. He told me he pulled his out of the boat last year and rebuilt them. This is interesting because he is in the business of manufacturing custom made heavy equipment for the forest industry. He would have had access to any number of different engines to swap in, but chose to rebuild the Detroits. The cost of a new pair of engines would likely not have been the deciding factor.
I actually like the sound of my 453's. The exhaust note sounds better than the clatter of the blower( fan as Detroit calls it). Don't underestimate the hassle of switching engines, controls, mounts, gauges and all the rest. He may have of just made a practical choice. The proven reliability and smoothness of the Detroits offsets any minute improvement in fuel economy. Their ability to consume marginal fuel, easy access to water pumps , fuel pumps , bullet prove heat exchangers and circulating pumps. Their ability to run without electrical power, some even have air or hydraulic starters make them probably the best third world choice of power plant. I don't care where you go, chances are that engine in ferry, dive boat, work boat, remote generator is a Detroit.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Bradenton, Florida
Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras LRC 48'
Quick update, boat is being hauled on Tuesday and we confirmed my Port motor has water in a cylinder and is locked up so bringing her to the Yard on one motor and Dave Hinckle from Sarasota and his team are pulling the motors completely out of the boat and rebuilding them completely at his shop.. while the Salon is totally gutted for a facelift we will also install new kitchen cabinets & counter tops and redo headliners & flooring and re upholster & redisign a few things in reference to settee... We are also taking out both old generators and replacing with Phazors 21kw and 9.5 kw along with some rewiring and pulling old systems and re arranging things in the engine room and a fresh coat of paint and diamond plate flooring between motors.. Lots of stuff going on and excited to get her done.. we have already pulled most all the windows and getting all sliders recondition with new weatherstripping and new dark tinted safty glass along with re bedding and re glazing all the other windows and re caulking every seem or joint on her plus all interior wood getting refinished and some bad water stained wood veneer is getting replaced and sealed and all exterior wood getting re done.. many other things like all new headliners and some added electronics for the bridge and new helm chairs for the fly bridge and installing back up AC water pump and back up fresh water pump for some redundancy... Last but least the Naiad stabilizers are getting new seals & bearings and a thorough going thru..
I will update on the work as we do it...
Attached Thumbnails
back deck freezer & table.jpg   back deck junk.jpg   carpet back deck.jpg   all cabinets & drawers out.jpg   kitchen counter over hatch.jpg  

kitchen counter gone.jpg   dudley standing in motor opening.jpg   rear hatch open facing settee.jpg   stbd motor hatch open.jpg  
Otisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Few pics of the Windows coming out
Attached Thumbnails
windows frames.jpg   open hull window.jpg   plastic over port slider salon.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #86
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
How about a nose job?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #87
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow Perry! Obviously you've spent a bit of time reading Hendo78's thread and just went for it. I admire a man who has the wherewithal to take the bull by the horns and refit a classic. My only wish is my previous owner would have photo documented the refit of our boat.

I look forward anxiously to watch this build progress.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #88
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I see one happy re-fitter in a green shirt.

Mark what are you talking about?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #89
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
wow what a cool rehab of a great boat!

post lots of pics, good luck with the project!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #90
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
how about a nose job?

wtf ?

hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420389455.164026.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	36022Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420389481.095195.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	36023
This is me - a happy refitter, Dudley my carpenter is in the picture above.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #92
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
How about starting a new thread for the refit?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #93
Veteran Member

yes sounds like a good idea... is there a way to make pictures smaller or do thumbnails or are these size pics ok? could be a lot...
Old 01-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #94
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
These size pics are perfect. Don't worry about our server space as we have plenty.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #95
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Window and Felt replacement

Wow, well this is one boat that it makes sense to restore if you plan on keeping her. My salon windows need new felt and would probably benefit from new bedding. I've been dreading removing them, partly do to there weight and size. How difficult were they to remove?
Do you think you need a 21kw generator? I get along with my 16kw pretty well. The 9.5kw sounds good as a day genny as my 8kw is maybe a little small, it won't run my salon or pilot house air.
Are you going to redo the headliners with fabric? I replaced the headliner in 58 Yacht Fisher with vinyl over 1/4 plywood panels at the same time installed LED lighting. The downside to using panels, is the overhead beams may not not be fair enough and need adjustment, the fabric is very forgiving in that regard.
This is a good time to install new insulation. What will you be using?
Are you going to replace the paneling on your bulkheads. Mozambique is the the wood used originally, veneer is available from Sam's. I had Mozambique panel made in Oakland Cal. by Exotic Harwoods for around $250 a 4x8 by 1/2 sheet. This may sound expensive, but the veneers are over $100 bucks and by the time you laminate it to 1/2 plywood it's about right. Especially since they veneer both sides. Obviously I'm very interested in you project please keep us updated.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #96
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Wow, great pics! Can't wait to see more.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #97

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
What did you do?
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote