Galley in the bow? Opinions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. Jm. Mr. Rs makes an excellent suggestion (Post #26) BUT might I suggest you use packing tape instead of masking tape to fabricate your mock-ups? I've found masking tape does not hold terribly well if you're moving cardboard templates around very much. You will probably want to move the "cupboards", the "fridge" and the "galley" around more than a few times to get the best fit. Tape both sides of a seam for best results.

Post 26 and 27 that is a great idea I’ll definitely do that before I start the actual work on the remodel. That should give me a pretty good idea on how well it’s all going to fit down there. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

There will be visitors but I was going to have the couch be a fold out bed, figured that would be mor comfortable then a cramped v birth. That Pearson 43 is a really cool boat, may have to look into them a bit more, if the galley v birth idea ends up not working that would be a good option to go with. Just without the bathroom, or maybe with just a toilet and sink in the master.

There are good reasons you rarely see a galley in the bow.

- Very little flat floor space
- Sink drains require a pump out
- Poor ventilation
- Minimal natural light
- Long distance from cockpit
- Sloping walls make appliance fit-out difficult
- Negotiating stairs while carrying food
- Plenty of boat movement on the water

The first point is a big one. Have a think about this before proceeding.

Hmmm didn’t think about the sink needing a pump at all. I think any sink I put in may be above waterline but I’ll definitely need to check. I know the master head being where it’s situated as way above waterline, and that’s one of the reasons I don’t like the forward head.

I may be one of the few that actually had a galley in the bow. It was in my 40’ harbor tug. It actually worked out just fine. It kept the mess away from everything. It also allowed me to cook without worrying about other people passing , tasting, suggesting, commenting, complaining, and annoying me. I cook a lot on board and it was great. The shape of the hull allowed you to fit just about everything you need to cook a proper meal.
Go for it

Damn, I wish the Briney Bug galley pics were still available. They figured that stuff out. The wife/ cook determined the setup and they have been living (aboard) since. Kind of interesting that most of the peeps who are trying to discourage you from putting galley in the bow don't liveaboard and go home to a kitchen at night (Lepke exception).I'm not saying its the answer but keep an open mind and go with your instincts.

Ventilation and natural lighting is actually pretty good surprisingly. There are 4 round portholes on either side that don’t open but I’m planning on installing opening ones with mosquito covers and a pretty large overhead hatch. There is also already a cutout for a vent that was in the bathroom that I plan on using for the stove vent. If the galley does go forward I also plan on putting some proper sized and spaced stairs. Which there are only 2 anyway. It is far from the cockpit but I’m thinking more entertaining will go on up above on the flybrige and I’m thinking of installing a removable table up above behind the radar mast. I’d like to setup the cockpit more for fishing.

Ventilation and natural lighting is actually pretty good surprisingly. There are 4 round portholes on either side that don’t open but I’m planning on installing opening ones with mosquito covers and a pretty large overhead hatch. There is also already a cutout for a vent that was in the bathroom that I plan on using for the stove vent. If the galley does go forward I also plan on putting some proper sized and spaced stairs. Which there are only 2 anyway. It is far from the cockpit but I’m thinking more entertaining will go on up above on the flybrige and I’m thinking of installing a removable table up above behind the radar mast. I’d like to setup the cockpit more for fishing.

and a dumb waiter so you don't have to carry the food up the steps to the flybridge???

This is my double galley in the bow. Not great pics but 2 people can easily work in it. Windows have since been replaced. Love the galley down!

Attachments

• BCDEF510-762E-447C-B69F-07D37F837297.jpg
    BCDEF510-762E-447C-B69F-07D37F837297.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3E631ECC-F481-4001-AEC3-7AD427BB5070.jpg
    3E631ECC-F481-4001-AEC3-7AD427BB5070.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 40
  • F425EA6C-7997-4AEF-B66A-321CF11CAB13.jpg
    F425EA6C-7997-4AEF-B66A-321CF11CAB13.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 42
Thank you very much for the pics. It’s nice to know it does work just fine. How is the galley to cook in while underway?

Gelleys on cruise ships are located mid-ship. Dining rooms are at stern and/or mid-ship. My galley is mid-ship and dining is stern to that: a sound practice in my mind.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Greetings,
Well, hold on there a sec Ms. D. While your galley looks absolutely stunning you still have a v-berth forward of that, do you not? I think Mr. Jm wants to place his galley in the v-berth area.

Greetings,
Well, hold on there a sec Ms. D. While your galley looks absolutely stunning you still have a v-berth forward of that, do you not? I think Mr. Jm wants to place his galley in the v-berth area.

Yes I have a v berth forward and master stern.

Thank you very much for the pics. It’s nice to know it does work just fine. How is the galley to cook in while underway?

Not a problem. However, I prefer not to cook underway. I cook all the time while docked though.

Attachments

• 83DFF0B5-EDED-412C-B995-8CCF3C9AE6CC.jpg
    83DFF0B5-EDED-412C-B995-8CCF3C9AE6CC.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 38
Yes I have a v berth forward and master stern.

When I cook, I don't want anyone else in the galley. You can sit, observe and be the princess. AFTER dinner, the galley is all yours, to clean up.
The galley on N46 was about the same space as your galley, just laid out a bit differently. I liked it. When I cooked, I could spin like a top, gathering dishes, flatware, food and cook and sink. The only cabinet I added in the galley was a spice cabinet.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "... I could spin like a top..." Good grief! THERE'S a disturbing mental image....

200.webp

I think Mr. Jm wants to place his galley in the v-berth area.
That was my understanding also. Standard galley down, in the forward part of the boat was NOT what he was talking about (unless I misunderstood). Big difference between that and putting the galley into the area normally occupied by a v-berth.

Not my boat, but saved these pics from a few years ago. Thought it was pretty cool.

Attachments

• 4689034_20140418134659763_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4689034_20140418134659763_1_XLARGE.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 4689034_20140418134520221_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4689034_20140418134520221_1_XLARGE.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 41
My boat, small at 29 feet has roughly the same layout as post 52. I like it as it frees up room in the saloon. In modern express cruisers, the galley would be in the saloon but I find that creates a pinch point while cooking.

By having the galley down by the V birth, there is more room both physically and visually in a smaller boat such as mine.

Don't do it for all the reasons already mentioned.
In addition, movement even at the dock in the bow is quite pronounced.
It will be worse than you think.

Over the years, my wife has gone to plenty of boat shows, and she always kept her ears open. The day she learned of day heads (meaning my fishing buddies would not pee in doors), she made note and insisted on day heads thereafter. Even before learning of day heads, she heard a salesman use the expression "galley up" and asked what that meant. From that day forward, galley down boats were always out of consideration. Same thing with "mid-ship owner's stateroom", which is now a necessity. She would never go for a "galley in the bow" configuration. You may like it fine but just be forewarned, that at you will be ruling out at least a segment of the resale market if you do.

Back
Top Bottom