Old 06-13-2022, 01:48 PM   #21
PNK
Veteran Member

City: New York ( City Island )
Congratulations, and good luck, she is a beauty. I suggest you contact the owners of the bark Europa - "www.barkeuropa.com" - because, although it is a bigger ship than yours, she started out almost 100 years ago as a German light ship, and the current owners converted her into a 3-masted square-rigged sailing ship, also with a riveted steel hull. I sailed on her to Antartica a few years ago, and can tell you they got really good at keeping the ship running, and running well. I heard a lot of the conversion stories, the owners seem very happy to share what they know, and over the years they have built up a huge bank of knowledge for probably all the same things you will be encountering. Europa has sailed through every condition you are likely to encounter, sails well - which surprised me - and can motor at around 6 knots on her single diesel when she has to. In the right conditions we were able to sail at close to 10 knots, even with reefed sails, which I can tell you feels almost like flying on a 180-ft ship. Europa generally spends the summer and early Fall in and around Europe, so it is a good time to reach out to them, before they return to South America and Antarctica again in October/November.
I think you will be having some wonderful times with your new "baby', look forward to reading more as you go on.
( Although they are based in Holland, everyone there speaks really good English.)
Peter
PNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Yep. You're nuts. Enjoy yourselves.
I have to agree with RT on this one, but I do admire your courage and enthusiasm. I especially enjoyed the part that you got a good price so there's some money left over for the repairs and projects you plan. Wish you nothing but the best, but oh boy!
Old 06-15-2022, 12:16 AM   #23

City: Hong Kong
She's a beautiful boat, indeed.
Looks nice as a trawler with the current setup, but I also can imagine her as sailing ship.
I am curious about your "blasting" experience of the interior of the boat as I am facing a similar problem: how to clean old paint off in a very confined area of the bilge.
SuzieWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:23 AM   #24

City: Retz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Welcome. Nice ship!

So she started as a fishing vessel. Sail, power, or both?

Was the current pilothouse and quarterdeck original to that?

Then converted to a tall ship. Rig?

Or was the pilothouse and quarterdeck added after losing the "tall ship" mast?

She looks so nice to me as is, and the pilothouse/quarterdeck would seem to me to be so very useful...

That loosing any of the the pilothouse/quarterdeck spaces would be a sort of step backwards. Even if a viable sailing rig is fashioned to take advantage of doing that.

Your boat, your dream, of course! But isn't there a viable sailing rig that wouldn't cause you to have to lose the aft spaces? Even if not a tops'l schooner rig? Even if "only" a motorsailer?

-Chris
Thanks for all your comments, the advices and the interest you show. Sharing this experience is a very important aspect of this adventure for us.

The wheelhouse dates back to her fishing days. It had roughly the same hight but was shorter because it had no doors on the side. The entrance was aft on the sbt side. When she was converted to the sailing ship back in 1977 the wheelhouse was just lowered. In her last conversion, so in 1987, the wheelhouse was raised again and extended with the side entrance doors.

Our idea with the wheelhouse is to lower it down as it was when she was a sailing ship. Imaging handling the mainsail up there. Currently the wheelhouse is about 3 meters above deck! But we do not want to shorten it to give us more living space.

the quarterdeck with the light flooded cabin below was also added in her last conversion. The old sleeping bunks from her fishing days are still underneath a secret hatch. The fun thing is there is almost standing hight in the cellar as well. We think there is enough room if we drop the quarterdeck on bulwark hight, so about 1,20 meter. That would give us the best out of two worlds.

It is really though to handle the boat if you have to climb the stairs to have access to the quarter deck. Visibility aft from the wheelhouse is next to non existent. And it really makes the useable deck space much smaller.

As a rig we want to go back to the original. Not only square sails are providing a fair amount of power but they are also unique so if your sailing with guests that's something interesting. But we hope that it's possible to built the rig in stages. So first the steel masts with for and aft basic sails. Than the bow sprit and the wooden topmasts and as a lost stage the yards for the topsl's.

However the rig is the last huge project we want to tackle. We are talking about 120 000 - 150 000€. And it's a nice to have and not a necessity. So after we are done with the refit we hopefully have the time and the money to ad the rig.

The current rig doesn't look all that bad. Maybe I ask a rigger for advice and thats we try it out some day. Just to save some fuel on the short passages we currently make....
Olsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #25
PNK
Veteran Member

City: New York ( City Island )
your 82ft trawler

Daniel,
Congratulations, and best of luck with your project. I couldn't tell from your posts or from the video where you are docked, but if it is feasible I recommend contacting the folks at the Europa's office in the Netherlands.( www.barkeuropa.com")
Europa is a 3-masted, square-rigged bark that sails regularly around most of the world, and on which I went to Antarctica a few years ago.
What I think would make them helpful to you is that Europa started life as a pilot ship at the mouth of the Elbe river, and was converted to a square-rigged sailing ship about 20 years ago. She has a plated steel hull like your boat, with a diesel that is used in close waters or ice; she can do around 6 knots with the engine, and up to 10 knots under sail, which surprised me, but made me realize that the people who oversaw the conversion knew what they were doing, and have sources for anything you might be looking for in your project. Europa is generally in Europe at this time of year, with time set aside for repairs and maintenance before they leave in October for South America and the Antarctic, so this may be a good time to find them available.
Given the changes they made, your project seems completely feasible and realistic; I hope things go well for you, and look forward to watching the progress you make!

Good luck,

Peter
PNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:46 AM   #26

Thank you @PNK

Going to Harlingen and talk to all the tall ship people there is very high up on our to do list. Currently Europa is located at the Azores. But when she is back we will contact her captain and friendly ask for a tour and and an interview. I think it's also something very interesting for the people watching the channel. One small correction, she was built as a fire ship not as a pilot ship. But that makes it even more interesting because she was built without a sailing rig.

Unfortunately after three weeks on the mend our little Bunny Dolce her medical condition declined very quickly. We tried everything but she died on the way to the vet. We found her just 4 years ago next to a very busy road on lake Garda. Hence the name Dolce because we were eating ice cream before we found her. She was just a little baby rabbit back then with feet and ears much to big for her body. She really was a one of a kind bunny and always stayed our little baby bunny.

We are sorry but that means no video this week. But we have everything prepared to start with gutting the interior in the foreship. That is the first step. If we can judge the condition of the hull we can make a plan. One step after another.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:16 AM   #27

Since the last post a lot of things happened. We were on the search for a non existing leak in the hull and destroyed the whole interior. The priorities switched a little bit when we removed the cork isolation in the saloon area. Wow, that's a lot of rust... We probably have to put new frames in in this section. It seams like the previous conversations allways were done above the old installation. A lot was quickly added and no one cared much about the base. Well in the hull thickness report we trust...

We also have a new video out: https://youtu.be/61by7I-BxQc
Old 07-20-2022, 06:57 AM   #28
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Condolences on your unfortunate loss of Bunny Dolce!
Currently in: Licata (Sicily), ITALY
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #29
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Keep up the videos. I'm definitely enjoying them. And good luck with the project.

I think you were planning to refit those spaces anyway, right? Maybe just not right now? Regardless, I think it's always better to have a good handle early in the project on the full scope of work that you face. Tearing out that interior and seeing what's behind it will help you best plan your refit priorities. "Discovery" is the most important part of a project like this.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Keep up the videos. I'm definitely enjoying them. And good luck with the project.

I think you were planning to refit those spaces anyway, right? Maybe just not right now? Regardless, I think it's always better to have a good handle early in the project on the full scope of work that you face. Tearing out that interior and seeing what's behind it will help you best plan your refit priorities. "Discovery" is the most important part of a project like this.
The initial plan is to start in the foreship and after the foreship is empty continue with the saloon. That we it would have been easier to store things.But within 6-12 month it was planned to strip the interior in both sections. Including to build an improvised gally in the wheelhouse. After these sections in the hull are rust free and ideally isolated we will build an provisory interior in the hull and have a look what's underneath our aft cabin. The hull in the engine room looks fine though.

that's probably the most important stage in the project because we need to power through it. No way of selling the boat during this stage. We think we will need about 2 years for completion.

Also within the next to years we try to make boat ready for about 20 day passengers so that we can attend at harbor festivals and earn some money. Just as a plan B if the YT algorithm changes.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #31

City: calabasas
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
thank you for making me feel much better about my projects
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
thank you for making me feel much better about my projects
I've the same feeling when I watch videos of Aurora...

Tags
historic boats, project, steel trawler, tallship