Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #601
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pelican View Post
We do use the system, as pleasure boats. Passively, however. If a big barge shows these signs, we are obliged to follow their preference. Do they want to pass another ship starboard/starboard, then - as a pleasure craft - you do as they want. It is the bigger barges that use it as a way to navigate smaller rivers that meander and where they need to pass one another. From their perspective, what we do - as pleasure boaters - is quite irrelevant. For us it is very relevant. We are obliged to follow their choices, and if you don't, you may find yourself cut off in the middle of the corner. With a 3 million kilo ship pushing you aground, that's not fun, nor safe.

Regards, Edwin.

Thanks. With two commercial ships approaching each other, which one's flag takes precedence? I would guess the one traveling down stream?

I have had no need to try it, but was interested to see that blue flag operation is part of Class A AIS. Guessing again, I image the blue flag status becomes part of the AIS data that you send and receive. I would think that would be a good argument for Class A even on a pleasure boat.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #602
Guru

City: NC
Quote:

After the Biesbos lock came the Biesbos proper: a wild area of meandering water and trees. Remaining wild lands and wet lands from the early 15th century St-Elisabeth Flood that killed maybe 100,000 people.

Very interesting. Made me go look some of this up and look at maps. I had read about the St-Elisabeith Flood but apparently there were TWO of them just 17 years apart. That I did not know. Amazing that the impacts of floods 600ish years ago still exist today.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #603

City: Woerden
Vessel Name: Moonshine
Vessel Model: Jetten 50 MPC
Moonshine travels the Netherlands ...

Hi Dan,

The impact goes even further. Many survivors of those floods emigrated to Transylvania, in former Hungary/Romania. they made up a big part of the "German" settlement over there, influencing language, culture and architecture. It is probably the reason why Dutch (Netherlands) dialects can still be heard east of Berlin even today.

Hi Tanglewood,

I would say downstream has more trouble to slow down so has the advantage, but the way in which it works in practice is that one barge calls the other and proposes a starboard/starboard sail by. So far, I have always heard the other party agree. So in a way I think it is the party that asks that has the problem (or foresees it) and is given the right to make the call?

I hope that makes sense.

Regards, Edwin.
Attached Thumbnails
4cc5b348-61dd-4b1c-901a-3c012d393a77.jpg  
Salty Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:15 PM   #604
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Hi Tanglewood,

I would say downstream has more trouble to slow down so has the advantage, but the way in which it works in practice is that one barge calls the other and proposes a starboard/starboard sail by. So far, I have always heard the other party agree. So in a way I think it is the party that asks that has the problem (or foresees it) and is given the right to make the call?

I hope that makes sense.

Regards, Edwin.

Yes, it makes sense, just like arranging a pass over VHF. I just figured there was a default rule of some sort, just like in passing where you go port to port unless otherwise agreed. And there are some situations in the US interior rivers where the boat running with the current has precedence over one running against the current. So if two approaching boats indicate different passing with their blue signs, which one yields to the other's choice? It's not important, I'm just curious how it works.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:04 PM   #605

From my training - as a pleasure craft captain allowed to operate boats up until 25 meters:
1. Between equal vessels, downstream has the right of way;
2. If a professional barge meets a pleasure craft it always has right of way.

So you - as a pleasure craft - don't get to call anything. But when they do, you listen and obey.

Regards, Edwin.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:16 AM   #606
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Curious. Aren’t you required to get a certificate of competency even if inland regardless of size?
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:23 AM   #607

Rules on boating in the Netherlands.

No, not in the Netherlands. If your boat is under 15 meters (49 feet) and does not go faster than 20 km/h (11 knots), you are free to sail it around from ... I think the age of 16 onwards. Think this comes from the fact that we grow up with boats, basically. On a population of 16 million there are over 550,000 boats.

We, the mss. and me, decided to get our paperwork anyhow. It's good to speak the "language", and understand the signs. So we have permits that allows us to sail boats up to 25 meters, at any speed, inland and coastal. Even though formally "Moonshine" could be sailed without any.

Regards, Edwin.
Attached Thumbnails
ad161cb5-34aa-46c9-8be6-4faa205f1568.jpg  
Old 06-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #608

Stint 3: "Moonshine" travels the Netherlands

Today we sailed "Moonshine" from Tilburg to the harbor of Son, still following the Wilhelmina Channel. Lots of bridges, barges, and some locks. Mss. did most of the driving today. Tomorrow we hope to be able to sail to 's-Hertogenbosch, where we have reservations at a Michelin start restaurant. But ... there's a new bridge that's fixed and too low for us. There is a way around, but that'll add another two hours to already a challenging trip, as we find that the smaller the waterways, the more tiring the steering is.

Here are pictures of "Moonshine" parked in the harbor, and of a barge passing us.

Regards, Edwin.
Attached Thumbnails
df45345d-1112-40b8-8165-deeaa2e57882.jpg   Schermafbeelding 2022-06-27 om 22.00.54.jpg  
Old 06-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #609
Guru

Quote:
Hi Dan,

The impact goes even further. Many survivors of those floods emigrated to Transylvania, in former Hungary/Romania. they made up a big part of the "German" settlement over there, influencing language, culture and architecture. It is probably the reason why Dutch (Netherlands) dialects can still be heard east of Berlin even today.
What an interesting place to move too after the floods.

I saw, but did not watch yet, a YouTube video about a native German speaker visiting the Pennsylvania and talking to the Amish who speak Pennsylvanian Dutch. But Pennsylvanian Dutch, are/were not Dutch, but German. Part of my family is from the Pennsylvanian Dutch area, but are Germans who arrived after the Amish, so are not considered Pennsylvanian Dutch. At least as I understand it.

One part of the Pennsylvanian family is German without a doubt. My great grandfather looked EXACTLY like Sgt. Schultz in the Hogan's Heroes TV show. The other part of the family we thought were French but turned out to be German too. We just do not know much about that branch of family history much less WHY they left Germany in the first place.

Later,
Dan
Old 06-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #610

Thanks for sharing, Dan.

We are currently in Veghel. We'll be off to a Greek restaurant tonight, that comes highly recommended.

Tomorrow either Den Bosch or Heusden.

Speak soon!

Edwin & Veronika.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #611
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
What an interesting place to move too after the floods.

I saw, but did not watch yet, a YouTube video about a native German speaker visiting the Pennsylvania and talking to the Amish who speak Pennsylvanian Dutch. But Pennsylvanian Dutch, are/were not Dutch, but German. Part of my family is from the Pennsylvanian Dutch area, but are Germans who arrived after the Amish, so are not considered Pennsylvanian Dutch. At least as I understand it.

One part of the Pennsylvanian family is German without a doubt. My great grandfather looked EXACTLY like Sgt. Schultz in the Hogan's Heroes TV show. The other part of the family we thought were French but turned out to be German too. We just do not know much about that branch of family history much less WHY they left Germany in the first place.

Later,
Dan
A brief note about John Banner, the actor who played Sgt. Schultz:
He was an Austrian Jew who avoided capture by the Nazis by emigrating to the US.
Coincidentally, Werner Klemperer who played Col. Klink, Schultz' CO, was
a German Jew who also escaped the Nazis by emigrating to the US.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:45 PM   #612

Stint 4: Moonshine sails the Netherlands

Lovely day on the water. Warm temperatures. And even the water was quite tolerable. How I know? I had to dive in, after my sun glasses fell into the water ...

Veghel is a pretty town. Greek food was really good!

Regards, Edwin.
Attached Thumbnails
7933fabb-f1da-490f-baaf-d25415fa18e1.jpg   7e02491d-375e-4611-b66c-8c37199b3f33.jpg  
Old 06-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #613
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
A brief note about John Banner, the actor who played Sgt. Schultz:
He was an Austrian Jew who avoided capture by the Nazis by emigrating to the US.
Coincidentally, Werner Klemperer who played Col. Klink, Schultz' CO, was
a German Jew who also escaped the Nazis by emigrating to the US.
Yep, and Robert Clary, aka, "Frenchie" aka Corp. LeBeau, was Jewish and survived the concentration camps by entertaining the SS guards. He was the only one of his 14 family members to survive.

As an aside, when I was in college I was in the library and looking for a book. As I wandered the shelves, a book caught my eye as I walked past. I don't know WHY the book caught my eye but it did. It was the diary of a German soldier and the part I read he was invading Russia, but I think he was really in the Ukraine, because he was talking about the beauty of the sun flower fields that went on and on and on. He would talk about the pretty sun flower's but then mention the other things he saw and did. It was an amazing contrast.

I often think of that diary. Is it still there? WHO was the soldier who wrote the diary? What happened to him? How in the heck did that diary get into the library?

Later,
Dan
Old 06-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #614

Stint 4: Moonshine sails the Netherlands

Today we sailed from Veghel to Heusden. Little medieval town on the Maas river. First part of the trip was on the Zuid-Willemskanaal. Second part on the Maas. We liked the Maas much better. More room, meandering waterways. Here are some pictures ...

Regards, Edwin & Veronika.
Attached Thumbnails
6b5bce80-175b-4847-8070-d3305a6b8102.jpg   9a92ebdc-9b2c-480b-9e61-cb8834b544e6.jpg   67176467-a9a2-416a-b233-2ef07d2ec3b5.jpg   df2462f5-e51a-4fa1-af3b-9f1b9fe2f6fd.jpg  
Old 07-02-2022, 02:41 AM   #615

After a day at home and at the office, dealing with the sale of "Salty Pelican", my distillation business, and of course the new ocean-crossing ship that we are designing, we are about to depart for another week of boating with "Moonshine".

We'll sail towards the province of Zeeland. Where sweet and salt water meet. Oysters, anchoring, taking the boat to sea, and some sight-seeing. Dinteloord or Bruinisse will be the first stop-over.

To be continued!

Regards, Edwin.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #616

Oyster capital of Europe?

The Oosterschelde is a sea branche or "arm" in the Netherlands. It is approximately 5 to 8 Nm wide and 25 to 30 Nm deep. No sweet water rivers feed it. The water that comes in is salt. It comes in ... it goes out. Tide is like 3 meters (10 feet). Waters run 40 meters (130 feet) deep ... and shallower. Lots of sand banks. Makes it the ideal oyster and mussel breeding ground of our country and maybe Europe.

We visited Yerseke today. A small oyster and mussel oriented town on this sea arm. We toured an oyster farm. We had oysters. We visited a very good restaurant and had local fish, lobster, and shrimp as well. What a treat!

The fishing trawlers are not very sea worthy. They need a "horizontal" keel/bottom design, so they can be moored above the mussel and oyster beds. Touch down. Work. Water goes up again. All aboard? Leave.

It is the only city where I have seen automatic sale venues for mussels. Throw in a few bucks, and get your share. Here are some pics.

Regards, Edwin.
Attached Thumbnails
1fcd496a-d794-4275-88cf-9a2fa0d9011d.jpg   e4e190d6-9370-4830-aefa-0d5bce05f9e8.jpg  
Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #617
Guru

The MosselAutomaat! That is crazy wonderful!

We used to have more of those type of vending machines but not with mussels!!! I have not seen vending machines with doors in years.

Maybe next year we will get to NL to try the oysters. Best oysters I have had were in County Donegal in Ireland and I could not eat enough of them. Would like to try some NL oysters.

Later,
Dan
Old 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #618

Fly over dude. Just fly over!
Old 07-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #619

Hull plates cut files ...

Hull plates cut files ...
Attached Thumbnails
1ea5cba4-4f12-4c9f-a565-2e779b25d7b8.jpg  
Old 07-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #620

The name of our new motor yacht "Moonshine" has been installed!

It's all polished stainless steel. We are very happy with the result.

Regards, Edwin & Veronika.
Attached Thumbnails
4778af80-077e-41ce-8396-3060e7aaee4e.jpg