Old 07-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #101
Veteran Member

City: Woerden
Vessel Name: Salty Pelican
Vessel Model: Bruijs 11.50 Spiegelkotter AK
Hi Dan,

The ship will have a rub rail. Aluminium. I think the NA proposed half round pipe? Will discuss it further coming Thursday. Lifelines or railings or whatever they are called will be 1 meter high, on top of a 15 centimeter bulwark.

Regards, Edwin & Veronika.
Salty Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #102
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pelican View Post
Hi Dan,

The ship will have a rub rail. Aluminium. I think the NA proposed half round pipe? Will discuss it further coming Thursday. Lifelines or railings or whatever they are called will be 1 meter high, on top of a 15 centimeter bulwark.

A meter tall life line is about right for my wife and I. My two cents is that the tallest rail/lifeline should be above the hips.

The Pelagic 77 video I posted early also did something with the lifelines that is seldom done. The middle lifeline is just above the lower lifeline so that one has a better chance of being stopped by the lifeline before going overboard.

If you have not seen what Mobious is doing with their stanchions go take a look. They have a relatively quick ways to replace a damaged stanchions. The stanchions are mounted to the rub rail.

https://mobius.world/cabinets-floors...pt-23-27-2019/

https://mobius.world/aluminium-rosew...oct-7-11-2019/

This link has a detail drawing.

https://mobius.world/missing-in-acti...ug-19-23-2019/

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I think the four line approach from KMY on the Pelargic 77 is a great one. I think our 15 centimeter high bulwark takes care of the slipping risk low by the ground. Wouldn't you agree?

Regards, Edwin.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Wow! Remember that we did a trip with our motor cutter Salty Pelican towards the North of the Netherlands? We stayed at Lake Lathum one night.

Week or so later, the wife of a cousin sees a painting made of a boat on Lake Lathum. The boat resembles Salty Pelican, she thinks.

We reach out to the artist and compare dates and locations, and it is Salty Pelican! Or the artist's impression of her (we sailed by in less than five minutes, it took her two days to finish the painting).

Further investigation teaches us that the painter lives in Vianen. The city where Salty Pelican is harbored. To prevent things from getting even weirder, I visited the artist this morning and bought the painting from her.

Regards, Edwin.
Attached Thumbnails
5ab0873d-c17b-4f8b-ba4e-ddcc706eecf2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
I think the four line approach from KMY on the Pelargic 77 is a great one. I think our 15 centimeter high bulwark takes care of the slipping risk low by the ground. Wouldn't you agree?

Regards, Edwin.
Yep, that bulwark will help keep someone aboard.

Later,
Dan
Old 07-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:

Further investigation teaches us that the painter lives in Vianen. The city where Salty Pelican is harbored. To prevent things from getting even weirder, I visited the artist this morning and bought the painting from her.

Regards, Edwin.
Yes, you HAD to buy that painting. What are the odds of you even KNOWING about that painting?

Very cool story.

Course, you will have to have the same painter, paint your new boat in the same spot.

Later,
Dan
Old 07-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #107
Veteran Member

My thinking too, Dan!
Old 07-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Here are more pictures of what's the end of the first design iteration. We added a longer keel, stabilizers, and an outside steering position in sailboat style. She'll hold 6,500 liters of fuel in five tanks.

With the current design parameters, at half load, with 1 kWh of generator power running, stabs working, etc, she uses slightly less than 1 liter of fuel per kilometer at 10 knots.

With a 20% reserve in mind, "Hammerhead" will have an autonomy of 3,200 nautical miles at her high cruising speed of 10 knots. Slowing down to 9 knots results in 4,500 nm of range. The slow cruising speed (well, for this vessel) of 8 knots gives an autonomy of 6,000 nm.

Attached Thumbnails
Schermafbeelding 2021-07-20 om 19.46.33.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Veronika finds it important that the windows are so low that they are basically behind the settee's upright cushions. This gives a very roomy feeling to the living, where the sleeping quarters - au contraire - need to be more private and confined.

Here's a picture of how the NA helps us analyse sight-lines (angled downwards in this case) and helps us gain a better understanding of what the ship will be like.

Attached Thumbnails
sight-lines.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Here's a picture of how the NA helps us analyse sight-lines (angled downwards in this case) and helps us gain a better understanding of what the ship will be like.

Sight lines are sooooo important.

I was on one boat and if I was standing, I really could only see the water. I had to sit down to see off in the distance. My eye ball height was blocked by they cabin side. The windows, and thus cabin height, needed to be a few inches higher, or the cabin sole a few inches lower. Course, moving the ceiling up, or the sole down, has other design impacts.

Later,
Dan
Old 07-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #111
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
Just downloaded the promo stuff on the Arksen 65. Very congruent thinking. Have you thought through alt energy solutions? Really like the Arksen is not only self sufficient but is so without much release of carbon. Their hybrid solution seems quite viable as well.

Note the fins. Why didn’t you go gyro?
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Heard about Arksen. Like the mindset-mode push. Also feel it is not up to the individual buyer to concur or not. The goal is the ship, from the owner's perspective. The mission is up to the owner. Not the other way around. Not like you "have to" buy into making the ocean a better place.

The Hammerhead Project has amazing alt-energy solutions. We are working together with Delft University ... the team that won 10 years of solar-electric vehicle races across Australia. Imagine solar yield of 24 w/m2 vs. 18. At half the weight, yet maybe double the costs.

That being said ... for long range cruising nothing beats diesel for yield in terms of energy. Would love it to be different, but the amount of chargers one can visit while transiting an ocean is ... limited? Done the math, and ship autonomy isn't around plug-in/hybrid. Not yet. Not even when one goes full solar and tropics only.

Maybe kites can make a difference. Investigating that for sure. To the extend that we may already have a spin-off company for kite-propulsion for sea-going motor yachts. To be continued.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Here is a 2d-picture of the Hammerhead Project!

Attached Thumbnails
2d-model Hammerhead.jpg  
Old 07-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #114
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Remind me of the beam?
Old 07-24-2021, 01:21 AM   #115
Veteran Member

5 meter over all and a bit over 4m20 at the water line, Twisted Tree.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:45 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Hypo, for now I choose fins, because gyro's are very complex (SeaKeeper) and/or heavy (Kwik). I am a strong believer of less complexity being better, as it is the complexity of so many systems that seems to prevent too many motor yacht owners at attempting the longer voyages we are aiming for.

Also they kick-out at Bf 7 or thereabouts. So when you really need them, they stop functioning. Also they take up a lot of space and use quite some energy. The fins we are looking at are much lighter and most of the weight is in the water. Easy to replace as well.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #117
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Edwin, I've been following this from the beginning. A couple of comments. Our boat has a Gardner 8LXB coupled to a Hundested CPP, 36" three blade prop. More info on that is in this thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ler-58851.html
Someone asked the question as to why a dry stack, and you commented that you would be using EGT to monitor load.
Our boat uses EGT as well, and has a wet exhaust. The EGT is upstream of the water injection cooling/muffling in the exhaust. The engine loading is set using the EGT. For normal cruising, select 1400 rpm, pitch blade to EGT of between 400 and 450 degrees F, and that yields a through the water speed of between 7.5 and 8 kts depending on loading. At around 80,000 lbs loaded (half fuel), running the 12kw hydraulic motor driven generator, pressure provided by hyd pump on main engine, fuel consumption is 2.4 gph, or 3.125 nm/gallon.

Watching with interest!
Old 07-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, SlowGoesIt!

Regards, Edwin.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Drawing of the interior? Here ya go!

Attached Thumbnails
Schermafbeelding 2021-07-24 om 22.11.01.jpg  
Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #120
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
I assume the galley is combined with the pilot house over the engine room? Looks nice!

Edit: Okay I just answered my own question as I see you already posted a layout of the upper deck!