Designing & Building Hammerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, you're going to get to have one of those really long anchor rollers so your anchor doesn't bang the stem, just like all the other new kids :)
I wonder how long it'll be before all these designers just go, if we add a little rake to the stem we don't need giant anchor rollers, and that'll be the next new thing.

And unfortunately you’re paying monthly rent on that proboscis since marinas charge based on length.

Simple solution - use a stock less anchor nestled up tight against the bow plating. A variety of HHP and SHHP anchors are available.

And unfortunately you’re paying monthly rent on that proboscis since marinas charge based on length.

Simple solution - use a stock less anchor nestled up tight against the bow plating. A variety of HHP and SHHP anchors are available.

Or do what Mobius(XPM-78) is doing and offset the anchor to port.

Later,
Dan

A slight offset does the job, gentlemen.

Regards, Edwin.

Screenshot Fuel System

Hi there,

Here are the schematics of the fuel system. Three tanks. 2k, 2k, and 3k in liters. Transfer pump, manifold, filters, etc.

Regards, Edwin.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hi there,

Here are the schematics of the fuel system. Three tanks. 2k, 2k, and 3k in liters. Transfer pump, manifold, filters, etc.

Regards, Edwin.

I think most engine manufacturers prohibit sharing the fuel supply line with another consumer. More typical would be a dedicated filter and supply line to each machine/consumer.

... and a little explanation by our NA Catran:

"
Hi Edwin,

For the LM65H we have decided to go for a Main Branch pipe fed through the dual Racor filter for the fuel supply to the users.

This pipe will be a large diameter to prevent supply problems when all users are using fuel. This Branch pipe will reduce the amount of connection needed to the tank.

The Branch will be separate from the transfer manifold which will have it’s own single Racor filter to protect the transfer pump and enable polishing of the fuel.

Regards, Catran
"

Hi Dan,

Nope. Given the nature of modern day diesel and its bio components, I thought it wiser to turn things around and basically create a quarantine tank system instead.

This approach results in the main tank (3,000 liters) always being filled with tested and polished and cleaned and filtered diesel. The 2,000 liter tanks to SB and BB serve as quarantines.

Start with good diesel, and when 2,000 to 4,000 is depleted, fill-up those Q-tanks, while the main tank, with proven good quality diesel purrs away ... giving time for the diesel dippers, etc. to clean up the new diesel in the SB and/or BB tanks.

Regards, Edwin.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, I am also chasing efficiency on my boat, single diesel, solar panel, MPPT controller, "smart" fridge, etc.
Question for Edwin: Are you considering the Sharrow propeller?
https://www.sharrowmarine.com/?gcli...Qbu-lfhL4ARSySZERwlJlSmz7A8tbfiIaAhwiEALw_wcB

Hi LN,

Thanks for chiming in! So funny: my nickname (and how everybody knows me in my profession as distillery designer and manufacturer) is Odin. Just like your boat.

Yes, we considered both the Sharrow and some other prop options. In the end, we decided for a more "conventional" 4-blade prop. The reason? Easy to replace. And the simplest solution to a problem, especially with a boat that needs autonomy and self-reliance, is often the best one.

"Conventional" between brackets, because we are working on an interesting improvement that may add a few percent of fuel efficiency - even to a more conventional option, like our 4-blade prop.

Regards, Edwin.

Last edited:
Hi LN,

Thanks for chiming in! So funny: my nickname (and how everybody knows me in my profession as distillery designer and manufacturer) is Odin.

Yes, we considered both the Sharrow and some other prop options. In the end, we decided for a more "conventional" 4-blade prop. The reason? Easy to replace. And the simplest solution to a problem, especially with a boat that needs autonomy and self-reliance, is often the best one.

"Conventional" between brackets, because we are working on an interesting improvement that may add a few percent of fuel efficiency - even to a more conventional option, like our 4-blade prop.

Regards, Edwin.

Ha, small world Odin.

Going around the world I would think a Sharrow Prop, with a spare conventional prop or 2 in the lazarette would pay for it self in fuel burn, or rather the lack of it.
I only do short journeys and can't justify a $5,000.00 Sharrow to save $25 in fuel for 5 hour trip to the Florida Keys now and then, but being in your shoes (clogs:)) I would welcome the the 10-20% fuel savings.

Last edited:
A small world indeed, LN.

We calculated the advantages at displacement speeds, for the Sharrow design, to be more like 3 to 4%, if I remember correctly. Where the adaptation to our more conventional prop may well leverage us 2% already.

Apart from the additional and higher costs of the Sharrow prop, it would also have meant a different shaft design. A shaft design not anymore optimally suited for a more conventional prop replacement.

Just sharing some of our considerations on how we decided to move forward.

Regards, Edwin.

Last edited:
A small world indeed, LN.

We calculated the advantages at displacement speeds, for the Sharrow design, to be more like 3 to 4%, if I remember correctly. Where the adaptation to our more conventional prop may well leverage us 2% already.

Apart from the additional and higher costs of the Sharrow prop, it would also have meant a different shaft design. A shaft design not anymore optimally suited for a more conventional prop replacement.

Just sharing some of our considerations on how we decided to move forward.

Regards, Edwin.

Very well Edwin:
Looks like you are well ahead of me and since I did not see any mention of a new efficient prop, I thoughr I had a nice surprise for you.
;)

Thank you for sharing, LN. I think that is one of the benefits of being on this forum. People sharing ideas and creating something better together.

Regards, Edwin.

Spare parts, anyone?

We had a great team-meeting yesterday, to discuss the delivery of milestone 3 and the end of the second design cycle. After the deliverables of m3 were discussed, we focused on milestone 4, which will be about the deliverables that belong to the final and most detailed design phase. More info on that soon.

For now, I'd like your input on a spare parts list. What would you always have on board as spare parts? Filters, additional anchor, ...

Thanks,

Edwin & Veronika.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2022-01-31 om 17.02.41.png
    Schermafbeelding 2022-01-31 om 17.02.41.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 11
A possible design element you may want to think about is placing suitable sized electric winches aft. They might serve various functions beyond handling the kite if appropriately sized. Would think would need to upsized a bit.
On the sailboat when just mom and pop with no one on the dock would lasso a pier/slip cleat. One end to a cleat and the bitter end to a winch. Tighten up then go in forward idle if necessary . Brings the boat along side even in current or wind. Then one of us would get off and handle the rest of the lines as we moved further into final docking position. Found it very helpful even with a strong bow thruster. Our boat was small enough the winch was sufficient but would put the line onto a cleat if strong forward was required.
Other situations included using it as a windlass for a stern anchor. Just used a fortress. But sometimes dropped from a dinghy as sometimes it was easier to set a stern anchor after you were all done with the bow. Would just use the drum when easing or tightening with the tide. Found this helpful in narrow tidal channels with significant traffic when you didn’t want to vary your position much at all. Or when tying from the stern to land to prevent swing.
Think in general not enough consideration is given to easy stern anchoring.

Last edited:
A valuable addition, Hippocampus. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Regards, Edwin.

For now, I'd like your input on a spare parts list. What would you always have on board as spare parts? Filters, additional anchor, ....

Do a search on the subject of spare parts here on TF and you can read for days.

Its a topic that had a lot of discussion and you can get many viewpoints and good suggestions by reading some of the previous threads.

Thank you! Good advice and I'll follow up on it immediately.

Regards, Edwin.

Anchor Locker & Windlass

The anchor chain will go into the anchor chain locker. The windlass engine sits in the forepeak.

Regards, Edwin & Veronika.

Attachments

• 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
We'll be visiting some shipyards tomorrow and next week. I always find that inspiring. Would you guys be interested in us sharing some pictures and impressions?

Great! Will do. Two in the Netherlands and one in Croatia. While in Croatia, we'll visit some some of our customers that are in the distilling business. I foresee some drinks!

Regards, Edwin.

Forepeak

Here's the design (concept) of the forepeak. Or better said: of all the stuff we plan to put in there. The gangway already found another place. Since it is mostly used aft, putting it in the forepeak didn't make sense! :)

Regards, Edwin.

Attachments

• 410e47a8-dc89-4004-8169-4643d64e756e.jpg
    410e47a8-dc89-4004-8169-4643d64e756e.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 22
Edwin, back to some earlier suggestions, your dive compressor, which has some bulk, looks okay in the middle space. You could pull your anchor windlass (and pile of chain) all the way to the right (aft) in the photo to the side of your mast, to move all that weight. The dive bottles also. That way the forward section is where you may naturally load up with huge round fenders, 100m rolls of shore lines, etc., things which don’t have too much weight.

Thanks! NA is carefully monitoring weight and there's really no problem. :)

Regards, Edwin.

Busy day at our current boat "Salty Pelican". We cleaned her up and are prepping her for a season full of boating. Things still to do? Some motor maintenance, putting the tent back up, and cleaning out the dingy.

But first ... off to Croatia for a few days!

Regards, Edwin & Veronika

Visit to Croatia / Energy Abundance and Ship Design

Hi there,

Veronika and I and Catran are back from a short visit to Croatia, where we visited and inspected a shipyard that can help us build LM Yachts at higher output numbers. We also met the former secretary of all things naval and two of our distillery business customers. Lots of great talks, accompanied by amazing food and local wine!

In the LM Blog I dived into the role of energy abundance had on contemporary motor yacht design, and how it hampers the development of more energy efficient ocean crossing power boats.

Hope you enjoy the read understanding where I come from and where we aim to end up. All boats are compromises and ours are probably focussing on other things than what most coastal cruisers and live-onboards aim at ...

https://www.lmyachts.com/blog/3-how-energy-abundance-fattened-yacht-design/

Regards, Edwin.

Attachments

• 46053ac9-61ed-4558-b240-8a763b847e1a.jpg
    46053ac9-61ed-4558-b240-8a763b847e1a.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 15
Wanna see our Engine Room?

Here it is:

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg