74' Steel Boat Build, Front Yard, Tulsa ?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m still following this saga. He got the boat basically finished but when they arrived at the port in Catoosa OK, the port authority required more insurance to launch than he had, so the launch is delayed.

In the video they quickly go into “how bad the US has fallen” talk, because they are mad they have to follow some rules now. It was all fun and games acting like pirates when building the boat in the backyard with no need for insurance or any safety protocols, but now it’s a different story when they have to deal with ports and government agencies and other real world issues.

alcohol+irritants=pontification

https://youtu.be/YeIioWOrNXw

Last edited:
I’m still following this saga. He got the boat basically finished but when they arrived at the port in Catoosa OK, the port authority required more insurance to launch than he had, so the launch is delayed.

In the video they quickly go into “how bad the US has fallen” talk, because they are mad they have to follow some rules now. It was all fun and games acting like pirates when building the boat in the backyard with no need for insurance or any safety protocols, but now it’s a different story when they have to deal with ports and government agencies and other real world issues.

alcohol+irritants=pontification

https://youtu.be/YeIioWOrNXw

Well, he should have been arrested over his building. There are rules to follow including health and safety. Now it backfires. I have no sympathy for him.

Id say let them dunk it.

I’m not sure about arresting the dude, but it does make me SMH when people like him complain about following any rules. I don’t think a society without any rules would last long. I guess they want to live in anarchy, like a pirate! [emoji849]

I guess he thinks he can be a pirate out on the open sea with no oversight. Fewer regulations out on the open water than on land I suppose. It will be interesting to see how long he makes it.

The other thing about him that strikes me as hypocritical is he always talks about self sufficiency and “pull yourself by your boot straps” and all that sort of stuff, but then he’s constantly asking for donations and free labor on his YouTube channel.

Id say let them dunk it.

I think that is why the port is asking for more insurance. :rofl: I would be shocked if they have not been following his build and question if the boat will float. If it sinks they don't want to be left with the cleanup expense.

Later,
Dan

Soooooo, who's gonna clean up the front yard?

Greetings,
Mr. OD. It's my front yard and I'll keep it in any shape I want!

iu

You all make it sound like he built his boat on a residential lot in a neighborhood. He built his house and shop just to do this project, in a rural area. He should know if you can't pay the piper you get no tune, when it came to getting the boat wet.

I think it’s interesting he’s going to live on this boat full time. Looks pretty basic and uncomfortable to me. Don’t see any AC. Galley is in the PH but only access is from the deck?

https://youtu.be/o4FDUu2Khdw

I really have a hard time understating the criticizing in this thread.

Great pictures of the launching party!!!
Is there a video of the launching or is still on dry land while looking for more insurance?

I think he said hopefully Tuesday he will have insurance figured out. Then launch shortly after that.

I’m looking forward to the launch. Hope it goes well.

I think he said hopefully Tuesday he will have insurance figured out. Then launch shortly after that.

I’m looking forward to the launch. Hope it goes well.

Me too, me too.:dance:

Well he is still working on insurance. Is insurance on a home built boat really this hard to get, or did he just screw up the process somehow?

https://youtu.be/YEfxMutas9M

Well he is still working on insurance. Is insurance on a home built boat really this hard to get, or did he just screw up the process somehow?

Would you insure him? For what he wants to pay? It likely would cost him more than the boat did if anyone ever agrees. Now he's soliciting other people to open up a line of credit for him. To undertake risks of $3 million.

Omg, more people on their youtube broadcasts asking for money to support their recreational pursuits.

Yes, he screwed it all up as he made no attempt in advance, then was stuck when no one would launch it. Yes, it's really that hard on a partially built boat being built by an amateur. How can anyone not thing he and his boat are risky?

From what I could tell watching the early videos, he had no training as a welder, boat electrician, boat designer, etc.

Given his level of experience and training in the skills required to design and build a ship he might have a problem getting insurance.

One would expect the insurance company to want an extensive survey.

We are interested in building a metal boat and one of our concerns is the quality of the welds. Steel is easy to weld, but even so, one of the boat builders we talked with had every weld X Rayed and documented as part of the build.

I have read a few blogs from home builders and do not remember them having problems getting insurance. However, these were builds done years ago and todays insurance environment is a bit different. These boats were also built to a design from a known designer which I expect makes a difference.

Later,
Dan

A marine insurer will want a survey. That could get interesting. We've a friend who did a marvelous job on a steel build. To get around insurance he self insured it, but no port facility was pressing him.

From what I could tell watching the early videos, he had no training as a welder, boat electrician, boat designer, etc.

Given his level of experience and training in the skills required to design and build a ship he might have a problem getting insurance.

One would expect the insurance company to want an extensive survey.

We are interested in building a metal boat and one of our concerns is the quality of the welds. Steel is easy to weld, but even so, one of the boat builders we talked with had every weld X Rayed and documented as part of the build.

I have read a few blogs from home builders and do not remember them having problems getting insurance. However, these were builds done years ago and todays insurance environment is a bit different. These boats were also built to a design from a known designer which I expect makes a difference.

Later,
Dan

A licensed contractor has no problem getting construction loans nor does a boat builder. A buyer of either can based on the builder. One can do so building their own home but only based on experience and/or oversight.

i would insure him if I had three mil extra.

really i don't see any risk.

I agree with Dannc. The boat built on a proven design and all welds X-rayed or another form of NDT.
He may have to get all welds inspected, by a licensed inspector, before it is insured and splashed.

I agree with Dannc. The boat built on a proven design and all welds X-rayed or another form of NDT.
He may have to get all welds inspected, by a licensed inspector, before it is insured and splashed.

Keep in mind, Lloyd's examined it and said "no."

Keep in mind, Lloyd's examined it and said "no."

It would be interesting to understand why they said no. Were there specific deficiencies, or was it because it was home-made with no trade knowledge and experience. Or something else.

In a more recent video, Doug (the guy building the boat) said it had passed a below waterline hull survey, and that the problem was a catch-22 of some sort in insuring a boat that was on land vs one that was in the water, and what do you do to get the boat launched for the first time so you can transition from one type of coverage to the other. I suspect it comes back to it being a home-made boat and the risk that it will pull a Northern Marine on launch. It's the whole question of "will it float". Once it's shown to float, then you can do stability tests and otherwise prove that it's sea worthy.

To Doug's credit, he said the insurance requirements that he was facing were reasonable and that the problem was all his for not having it sorted out.

To Doug's credit, he said the insurance requirements that he was facing were reasonable and that the problem was all his for not having it sorted out.

Right. Doug is pretty resourceful, so I think (hope) he will figure this out somehow.

It would be interesting to understand why they said no. Were there specific deficiencies, or was it because it was home-made with no trade knowledge and experience. Or something else.

In a more recent video, Doug (the guy building the boat) said it had passed a below waterline hull survey, and that the problem was a catch-22 of some sort in insuring a boat that was on land vs one that was in the water, and what do you do to get the boat launched for the first time so you can transition from one type of coverage to the other. I suspect it comes back to it being a home-made boat and the risk that it will pull a Northern Marine on launch. It's the whole question of "will it float". Once it's shown to float, then you can do stability tests and otherwise prove that it's sea worthy.

Passed a below waterline survey is an odd term in and of itself. I'm sure it had such a survey but don't know about passing grades being handed out. I think the problem extends beyond "will it float". It includes will it remain upright, then will it stay afloat without electrical. Then even recognizing the work to be continued will not be by licensed and bonded persons, a fear of fire and other issues post launch. Even the finest yards in the world have been known to have fires after initial launch while still working on the boats. Insuring a boat under construction is costly in the best of circumstances. We just completed a build and had an entirely different policy until the boat was complete, surveyed, and turned over to us.

Passed a below waterline survey is an odd term in and of itself. I'm sure it had such a survey but don't know about passing grades being handed out. I think the problem extends beyond "will it float". It includes will it remain upright, then will it stay afloat without electrical. Then even recognizing the work to be continued will not be by licensed and bonded persons, a fear of fire and other issues post launch. Even the finest yards in the world have been known to have fires after initial launch while still working on the boats. Insuring a boat under construction is costly in the best of circumstances. We just completed a build and had an entirely different policy until the boat was complete, surveyed, and turned over to us.

Even he admits, work is ongoing in the hull. I am not sure if a company will insure it under the circumstances.
Something about not having all the necessary pumps install and other safety equipment.

... I suspect it comes back to it being a home-made boat and the risk that it will pull a Northern Marine on launch. It's the whole question of "will it float". Once it's shown to float, then you can do stability tests and otherwise prove that it's sea worthy...

We were in Anacortes when the Northern Marine boat turned over so this has been on my mind with the launch of Doug's boat.

Years ago, maybe five?, there was a video of a home built launch. I tried to find the video but had no luck. The boat was built by a welder, out of steel, but he seemed to have "designed" as he welded up the boat.

The boat did not capsize on launch but it had stability issues as I remember it and most certainly was not sitting on it's lines. It was way, way off. They pulled the boat out of the water and took it back to where it was built to "fix" it. It was not a small boat either it was very large. The man had spent a huge amount of time and money building that dream.

Sometimes, people build the field of dreams, and out of the corn walks the dream players, but other times zombies walk out the corn and the dream is a nightmare. Lots of home built boats are never finished and sit in a barn or backyard rotting away. The Metal Boat society would have unfinished hulls for sale in every issue.

I read at least two home built boat blogs that went silent after years of work...

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
Many post ago I commented about this guy being an azzhat for the stunt he pulled. Why would anybody or any company want to take his word for anything ? Or any risk. Your reputation and YouTube posts can come back to haunt you. My take is he's made all his own problems.

Congrats to this guy. It's nice to see some people with imagination around. I hope he ignores detractors who just assume he will fail, even with his 'wicked fabrication skills'.

Right. Doug is pretty resourceful, so I think (hope) he will figure this out somehow.

Very resourceful and very determined, both of which are admirable qualities. I only wish he weren't so dismissive of advice on how to do things "correctly".

Twistedtree and others, of course we all wish him great success.
Now, once in the water, comes the touchy parts, ballasting and stability.
I have no desires nor plans to go to sea on his boat even if he begs me. That is my personal opinion and conclusion.
He has more than enough 'build crew' to go to sea......

Back
Top Bottom