2 year refit of C&L 37 Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to continue my ranting... I just got done replacing their “added” outlets, since as I was working my way back I found a stretch of solid conductor 14-3 Romex (and you had to know they used the red instead of the white) and replaced it. I had some wire left over from the last bit of the AC system I fixed, so now there’s no more solid conductor wire (that I know of) on board.

I really hadn’t planned on spending a couple hours playing AC. But it’s done now, and I’ve finished most of the DC stuff I had planned for today. I just need to finish terminating the new DC Outlet runs down in the engine space. I’m using shrink terminals and shrink wrap. Every wire gets a label from the label maker and a clear heat shrink over it. It makes everything take longer now, but saves so much time later when I don’t have to try and remember what goes where.

Josh
I feel your pain, oh yes I feel your pain. When I saw my fresh water pump wired with 4 different pieces of wires on a 2 feet length, from solid to bigger and smaller size but also of different colors (not yet above the rainbow but not so far away) , jointed with electric tape I had a revelation... I knew that next thing to tackle will be wiring (sight).

L

Not trying to get into one-upsmanship, but I just found the source of a clacking noise in my starboard TwinDisc. It was a bad damper plate. Why was it bad? Five of the seven bolts that should have been securing the transmission to the bell housing were missing. Whoever installed this gearbox in 2001–or put a new damper in since then—forgot to install them. The tranny has been held in place by two bolts and the shaft. Still blows my mind.

"I feel your pain, oh yes I feel your pain. When I saw my fresh water pump wired with 4 different pieces of wires on a 2 feet length, from solid to bigger and smaller size but also of different colors (not yet above the rainbow but not so far away) , jointed with electric tape I had a revelation... I knew that next thing to tackle will be wiring (sight)."

WOW what a coincidence that's the SAME GUY that owned my boat!!! :rofl:

I’ve been working on the battery system, and documenting it in another thread. When it’s done I’ll post an update on it here.

But I’ve gotten to the point where there’s so much project crap sitting all over everywhere that I can’t find the parts I need when I need them. So I took a few hours from the wiring project today and converted our “shower” officially to storage. It’s been storage since day 1, now it’s just “more organized storage.”

Here’s before, although with 90% of the tools removed because they’re all up in the salon where I’ve been working...
IMG_0380.jpg

And here’s what it looks like after a quick install of HD style closet organizer shelves. It’s not the bomber customs I’d like to have, but it’ll work and it’s done. The harbor WM doesn’t carry shock cord by the foot, so I’ll have to hit the other one on my way out today. I have the rest of the stuff to make nets along the shelf fronts to keep everything in place while underway, I just need the shock cord.
IMG_0383.jpg

If you’re wondering about that backing plate, it’s for my SSB antenna. When I move the SSB over from the other boat it and the tuner will go in the space behind the shower seat.

Josh

Replacing the waste tank. :rofl:

How did you guess?

Actually, that’s phase 2. All that PPE is for cutting out the old black iron fuel tank.

And while I’m rarely serious, on a very serious note those safety glasses just saved my eye. I was cutting overhead and a big old chunk of red hot metal hit me dead in the face. Hit the glasses and rolled down off the bridge of my nose and just gave me about a 1/8” square patch of second degree burn on my nose. So I think I’ll call it a day on the cutting project.

My wife and I did manage to finish the arch install on Saturday. Here it is in all its glory, ready for the solar panel mounts.IMG_0515.jpg

Here’s a pic of the tank removal. I managed to turn the corner before the incident today, both figuratively and literally...IMG_0533.jpg. So that corner on the right side of the photo is now gone. I removed that wooden tank spacer, and now I can get my arm back along that side to clear my blade path and use the saws-all instead of all grinder. The saws-all is definitely faster and easier. And less likely to blind me...

I think I can finish cutting the tank out by the end of the week. I just need two more solid days at it and I think I’ll have it. Assuming I don’t run into any complications. But what are the odds of that???

Josh

Well, that took significantly longer than I thought. Mostly due to my ineptitude, but the tank is out. It’s a good news / bad news moment...IMG_0556.jpg

The good news is that the tank is out, and I was able to find another issue that was soon to fail catastrophically.

The bad news is that the fill has been leaking since the boat was made, and the side decks over the tank are completely rotted out. I’m surprised we haven’t stepped through already. I don’t have time to do a proper fix before we leave, so I’m going to have to come up with some half ass idea to get us through the season...

My current thought is just to take a sheet of G10 and cut a piece big enough to span the side decks and three of the stringers, and just butyl rubber seal and screw it to the top of the teak decking. It’s a terrible idea, but since removing the teak decks was on my list for the next year or two, it doesn’t make things much worse.

I originally thought I could just get away with supporting the one section from underneath, but now that I can see the whole thing, it’s completely rotted. As in I literally stuck my finger through it. If it weren’t for the teak planks spanning the stringers, it would have caved in years ago.

I was expecting to be riding a wave of elation at finally getting that tank out. Not so much. But at least I can start cleaning up the boat and offload the tools for the project.

Oh, and I kinked the raw water supply hose I replaced last year, so I’ll have to replace it again. And now that I can see it, I’ll need to replace all the domestic water plumbing, since much of it is original from ‘79. Ahhh, boats...

Josh

That is indeed the downside of fixing something when you open up the area and find something else that needs fixing. Oh well, good luck and keep at it.

I’m having flashbacks reading this.... your plan is a good one, but just leaving it won’t hurt anything either. it’s been that way for years.

I feel for you...good plan. Use the boat whenever you can, it alleviates the pain.

Who says getting roped into a 120 hour shift over Christmas means no boat work? Not this guy... That’s two days of solid holiday routine and time to do my own thing. So I brought this bad boy out of the closet.IMG_0568.jpg. It looks nice in the classroom here at work.

I didn’t finish patterning the bimini, which is Ok because I’ve had less holiday time than anticipated. But I did manage to get the main panels of the new front window covers put together. My plan is to do one of shade material, a 90% Phifertex, and an opaque sunbrella cover that can snap over that. IMG_0577.jpg. You can’t tell from the picture, but it’s sitting on the old falling apart one that I cut up for a pattern. Here’s the solid panelIMG_0578.jpg test fit over the mesh.

I’m still stuck here tomorrow, but I hope in the evening to have enough time to cut out s bunch of strips of sunbrella to make facings for the mesh. I also have some leather to sew in where the wiper motors rest.

At any rate, Merry Christmas everyone!

Josh

The canvas work is done, and on the boat. Yesterday we got rained on as we put the snaps on both of the window covers. We used gypsy studs on the phifertex cover, so the opaque sunbrella one can snap over the top of it.
IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0607.jpg

The big win was today though. We got the Bimini up and installed on the flybridge. I made it from two kits from Sailrite, the frame kit and the skin kit. Considering how inexperienced I am at canvas work, I’m pretty stoked at how it turned out.
IMG_0610.jpg

There’s way more stuff to do than time, but the projects are starting to fall and there are more check marks on the to-do list every day.

Josh

2 year refit of C&L 37 Europa

It’s been an insane push to get stuff done and ready to move aboard. We had to be out of the house by February 1, and we are. Just not on the boat yet. So, in the immortal words of Carl Spackler... “So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.”

On a serious note, the projects have been flying by. I’ve been playing my favorite game of “break three things trying to fix a fourth.” Which has culminated in this photo, which is about half of the original fresh water plumbing. The other half is already in the trash. So yeah, all new freshwater plumbing hoses, fittings, valves, and hose clamps. Because I really wanted to throw more money into the bilge...
IMG_0634.jpg

We have a list problem since I removed the port side black iron fuel tank. I moved the third pair of house batteries over, and I’m 90% done installing a 30 gallon poly diesel tank for the get-home engine, and we still list. So when I rebuilt the freshwater system I re-designed it with a three way valve in the settee (accessed by a deck plate so you don’t have to dig through the pantry to get at it) to select which tank to draw from. I put an equalization valve in between just for emergencies (or filling from one deck fill) but hopefully this will allow a little bit of weight distribution control as we burn fuel.

Speaking of, I put in the filter system from Seaboard Marine, and then built source and return manifolds. I originally had intended this wazoo system of multiple tanks and pushing fuel around, so I had the pump and big Racor already. I installed it so that I can polish fuel from the main tank, and push fuel into the get-home tank. In a pinch, either engine can run from either tank. I have a fuel bladder also, for range going down Baja.

The SSB is in. It works mediocre. I ended up sourcing 2” copper from my local copper raingutter place. They zipped me off a long strip of flashing that I then used as a ground plane. The vertical SSB antenna I have tones out on the analyzer ok, and the Icom autotuner can tune it, but reception isn’t what I’d wish. I’ll have to continue to work on that as we go. Maybe add some radials.

The sat-phone dock is in and the coax is run up. It’s too far back in the flybridge coaming for me to reach, so I bought another vent plate and as soon as it stops raining I’m going to drill an access hole and finish fishing the coax to the external antenna.

There’s way more that I’ve forgotten, but those are the big ones. I don’t have any good pictures right now because the interior looks like a bomb went off. Now that most of the bilge work is done, I’m going to put the lions share of the tools away, and we should be good to start moving in tomorrow afternoon.

Right now I’m headed off to a friend’s place to watch the Super Bowl and enjoy an adult beverage or three...

Josh

Just a quick update because we have Internet again...

We made it down Baja and are now in San Jose del Cabo for a few days waiting on weather before heading north into the Sea.

It’s been a great experience so far. Did some more boat work today, mostly on the dingy, which took some damage from getting caught in big seas getting into Cabo San Lucas.

Josh

It’s been an insane push to get stuff done and ready to move aboard. We had to be out of the house by February 1, and we are. Just not on the boat yet. So, in the immortal words of Carl Spackler... “So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.”

On a serious note, the projects have been flying by. I’ve been playing my favorite game of “break three things trying to fix a fourth.” Which has culminated in this photo, which is about half of the original fresh water plumbing. The other half is already in the trash. So yeah, all new freshwater plumbing hoses, fittings, valves, and hose clamps. Because I really wanted to throw more money into the bilge...
View attachment 84904

We have a list problem since I removed the port side black iron fuel tank. I moved the third pair of house batteries over, and I’m 90% done installing a 30 gallon poly diesel tank for the get-home engine, and we still list. So when I rebuilt the freshwater system I re-designed it with a three way valve in the settee (accessed by a deck plate so you don’t have to dig through the pantry to get at it) to select which tank to draw from. I put an equalization valve in between just for emergencies (or filling from one deck fill) but hopefully this will allow a little bit of weight distribution control as we burn fuel.

Speaking of, I put in the filter system from Seaboard Marine, and then built source and return manifolds. I originally had intended this wazoo system of multiple tanks and pushing fuel around, so I had the pump and big Racor already. I installed it so that I can polish fuel from the main tank, and push fuel into the get-home tank. In a pinch, either engine can run from either tank. I have a fuel bladder also, for range going down Baja.

The SSB is in. It works mediocre. I ended up sourcing 2” copper from my local copper raingutter place. They zipped me off a long strip of flashing that I then used as a ground plane. The vertical SSB antenna I have tones out on the analyzer ok, and the Icom autotuner can tune it, but reception isn’t what I’d wish. I’ll have to continue to work on that as we go. Maybe add some radials.

The sat-phone dock is in and the coax is run up. It’s too far back in the flybridge coaming for me to reach, so I bought another vent plate and as soon as it stops raining I’m going to drill an access hole and finish fishing the coax to the external antenna.

There’s way more that I’ve forgotten, but those are the big ones. I don’t have any good pictures right now because the interior looks like a bomb went off. Now that most of the bilge work is done, I’m going to put the lions share of the tools away, and we should be good to start moving in tomorrow afternoon.

Right now I’m headed off to a friend’s place to watch the Super Bowl and enjoy an adult beverage or three...

Josh
Hey looks my PO did the plumbing on your boat :D

L

Back
Top Bottom