Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #41

My bad! Mine looked like that I guess before the rot. So I was wrong in thinking it was teak. It split when we removed it and I guess I mistaken thought it was teak plywood. But it did only go half way by the settee.

The manual listed places where the everything was made. It also tells you how to do everything that is just common sense if you know anything about boating.

So I guess I went to Houston Hardwoods to get the teak plywood when I most probably could have used the mahogany and purchased it around here. Should have asked some Cali owners first instead of taking the plunge!
cajun mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Al
My back splash is factory and it's brown wood grain laminate which matches the counter tops. It isn't quite as tall as yours. The kick panel below the helm is aftermarket?? I have the same ribbon mahogany paneling.
The PO recovered the counters and table with beige laminate and, presumably, replaced the backsplash and fiddling sice they appear darker. I still have a section of that old dark wood grain laminate under the helm seat cushion.

I'm not sure about the kick panel...always assumed it was original, but never paid it much attention. I added a folding footrest to the helm seat that made a huge improvement in comfort. Several months ago, the PO boarded the boat while we were visiting his hometown of Petaluma. He noticed every improvement and commented on that one and the blinds we added as ones he wished he had done himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun mistress View Post
My bad! Mine looked like that I guess before the rot. So I was wrong in thinking it was teak. It split when we removed it and I guess I mistaken thought it was teak plywood. But it did only go half way by the settee.

...Should have asked some Cali owners first instead of taking the plunge!
There are some good articles I posted in this forum a long while back. We also have a thread with Californian Manual page scans. (They are 'stickies' at the top of the forum thread list.) Maybe you could add to the inventory. It just might become an archive where we can collect and share info to save us from those misunderstandings.

I have some repair work to complete on my header after removing some 1970s era radios and speakers. It's just mahogany, not the ribbon mahogany like on the walls. I picked up some mahogany veneer at a woodworking store. Until I get around to completing the job, I put a temporary section up there to cover the gaping holes and oiled it...it's a near perfect match.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #43

I will definitely see if I can add to the manual. We are totally redoing the saloon and I will keep you posted on the progress. Shortly after we purchased the boat, we did replace the windows.. We found a blog where Mark's plastics had the mold and right away purchased them. Found the teak to do the walls in Texas and picked up some Teak and Holly to do the floor while we were there. Actually putting in a lot of work but that is what we expected. Thanks for your help and if I can be of assistance, please let me know

Chet
cajun mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #44
TF Site Team

Chet, I'd sure love to see pics of your work in progress. I've seen a few Californians, but not torn up and rebuilt. If you need any pics or measurements of original components, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #45
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Al;
I've got some of the same issues with some of my wall panels, particularly around the window corners. I'm looking at the veneer application as a possible solution; using either straight mahogany or sapele( more ribbon-like). Any chance you'd have a pic of the results using the oil finish?
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #46
TF Site Team

Well, as a matter of fact, I do!

Here's the overhead panel.

The veneer is positioned between the brass clock and the black switch panel.

As you can see, it's not a perfect match, but it's more obvious under the flash lighting. It's harder to tell the difference under normal lighting.

I don't think this would be a good match for the Philippine Ribbon Mahogany on the walls.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #47
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Nice job; thanks for the photos; Have great season
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #48

City: Seal Beach, California
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
Just thought I'd chime in with my HIN.

My 1981 34' Californian has a HIN of JCM34159M81G. The 34159 matches the numbers on the cable chase tag. I think this means that mine was the 159th hull built in the 34' model. If you check the "Modern Classics" article on the 34' Californian from the 1990 Sea Magazine (see the stickies here), it says that Marshall built 238 boats from 1977-1985. With the number built, my suggestion seems reasonable. This seems to numerically match up with Mgtdguy's number (34204 on a 1983 model) as well.

I know what the 81 means but, as far as the "M" and the "G", your guess is as good as mine....

This works well for my number but all bets are off when you look at Al's number on Flywright. It seems that his is either the first or second 34' built which makes it a bona-fide "Collector's Item"

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0217.jpg  
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #49
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustlebomb View Post
Just thought I'd chime in with my HIN. My 1981 34' Californian has a HIN of JCM34159M81G. Matt
Another Tustin, CA built boat!! . . . . .We had a previous discussion wondering if they moved production from Santa Anna plant to Tustin Plant in 1981. I guess this confirms that.

I wish there was better documentation about the HIN's. Looks like they changed their numbering format, adding alpha characters, when they moved the production to Tustin?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Here's my tag :)

Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Electro, tell us more about your 35 Californian. Built in 1985? Pics?

Does the HIN sequence match your tag as hull #3 (or #30)?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Hid

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #53

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
We found our current boat three years ago and had to sell our 34 quickly. Still wishing I could have worked a deal to keep her. I still miss the boat and envy you on the list who own them, a real fine boat for sure.
Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Old 01-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Old 01-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Here is the link to my FB photo album

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=a8bae2d790
Here is the link to my FB photo album
Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #58
TF Site Team

Great pics, Electro! I guess it wouldn't be right to mount a swimstep on a sportfisher!! She's a great looking boat. 25 Kts looks great on that hull. I did nearly that (23 kts) last summer on chc's 34 LRC with Detroit 250s.

What engines do you have? Your hull looks very similar to mine except that your trim tabs are tucked into hull cutouts. Mine are bolted onto the transom.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I have Cat 3208, Stamped for 210 Hp. They have the M&N twin turbo kit's on them
The previous owners said that there was a swim step on her at some point. You can see the bolts on the transom. 25knots felt and sounded awesome !! I didn't push her hard for long
Old 01-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #60
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
Vessel Model: 1979 42' Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustlebomb View Post
Just thought I'd chime in with my HIN.

My 1981 34' Californian has a HIN of JCM34159M81G. The 34159 matches the numbers on the cable chase tag. I think this means that mine was the 159th hull built in the 34' model. If you check the "Modern Classics" article on the 34' Californian from the 1990 Sea Magazine (see the stickies here), it says that Marshall built 238 boats from 1977-1985. With the number built, my suggestion seems reasonable. This seems to numerically match up with Mgtdguy's number (34204 on a 1983 model) as well.

I know what the 81 means but, as far as the "M" and the "G", your guess is as good as mine....

This works well for my number but all bets are off when you look at Al's number on Flywright. It seems that his is either the first or second 34' built which makes it a bona-fide "Collector's Item"

Matt

was following this thread to see what I could learn about the HIN's... I have a 42LRC, but it was Built in Tustin in 79.... my HIN is JCM421660379 so.. 42 ft. #166 March of 1979 as I understand it... seems they used the same pattern of numbering... which might be confusing if I am #166 in 1979 and you are #159 in 1981! So they must have used the sequence for each size boat.... but I also do not have the M or G or any other letter seen on many of the Tustin boats...

so I think I have mine figured out, but still leaves questions on yours
tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote