Wave Slap Noise in Forward Bunks, 42LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cold-molded hull transmits sound beautifully. I attribute it to my awesome construction quality. Apparently zero damping anywhere. Those little waves slapping the spray rails ring the thing like a bell. I'm the guy that always anchors behind the island so I can get some sleep.

You wonder how people sleep in NYC with sirens all night and jackhammers early in the morning and find that those sounds soon are as normal as the air conditioning or heat running in your home and won't wake them. Yet, a much smaller, but unusual, sound still will.

For me, the challenge was sleeping in the lower deck, water outside, the thought of water potentially rushing in. The first night was hard but each night became easier.

Wave noise up forward should be no surprise to anyone buying a boat who does any research at all..
It should be high on the checklist for those boats with forward master staterooms ...but it does vary greatly depending on the boat.....

You wonder how people sleep in NYC with sirens all night and jackhammers early in the morning and find that those sounds soon are as normal as the air conditioning or heat running in your home and won't wake them. Yet, a much smaller, but unusual, sound still will.

For me, the challenge was sleeping in the lower deck, water outside, the thought of water potentially rushing in. The first night was hard but each night became easier.

What wakes me up is the new noise, not the noise i have heard and gotten used to. I get up at a new sound and try to find it. Some times I have more luck staying in bed and listening, before going outside, because any soft noises are drowned out once topside, but transmit thru the deck like a drumstick on stretched skin.

Back
Top Bottom