Shower buttons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Wilterink

There are buttons below the faucets in each of the three showers in my 48' Californian. . What are they for? Thx.

There are buttons below the faucets in each of the three showers in my 48' Californian. . What are they for? Thx.

As built, those boats didn't have shower sumps with floats. The shower drains were plumbed directly to pumps that pumped directly overboard. Thise buttons are waterproof bubbles over the switches that turned on the pump when the shower was in use (or periodically while it was in use).

In some cases, that remains the arrangement. Although I no longer have my Californian, my Hardin is set up that way.

But, in many cases sumps with small pumps and float switches have been installed. So the waywr drains into the sump, gets to a high water mark, and floats the float switch up and on, and the pump runs for a bit to pump the water out. In this arrangement, the in shower switch is no longer needed or used. It is basically replaced by the float switch.

In my Californian, I convertes to sumps and removed the switches and they were on and did fiberglass repairs. But in that boat the showers needed refinished, anyway.

In my current boat, I left it as is. I rhink I liked the sump a little better, but not enough to reconfigure things without needing to do other related cosmetic work, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom